Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It does seem that Prigozhin is openly stoking conflict with the Kremlin. Such acts traditionally end with someone falling out a window. The question is, with Prigozhin openly courting other separatist warlords fighting for Russia, will it be Prigozhin or Putin?

This is the first time Putin’s authority is being openly and repeatedly challenged. Prigozhin has to be fairly confident that he has the muscle to repel any attempts to bring him to heel to adopt this position. Prigozhin for Russian leader?
It's an interesting one isn't it, open criticism of the defence minister. I can't imagine Prigozhin has many friends inside the current political or business establishments. Anyway, let's hope they keep tearing into each other 👍

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
It does seem that Prigozhin is openly stoking conflict with the Kremlin. Such acts traditionally end with someone falling out a window. The question is, with Prigozhin openly courting other separatist warlords fighting for Russia, will it be Prigozhin or Putin?

This is the first time Putin’s authority is being openly and repeatedly challenged. Prigozhin has to be fairly confident that he has the muscle to repel any attempts to bring him to heel to adopt this position. Prigozhin for Russian leader?
Also, I don't think he's criticising Putin's authority, more criticising Shoigu's/Gerasimov's competence and honesty. I think Putin's playbook is happy having key people fight each other: it means they're not fighting him.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Also, I don't think he's criticising Putin's authority, more criticising Shoigu's competence and honesty. I think Putin's playbook is happy having key people fight each other: it means they're not fighting him.
How he is still in power given the complete clusterfuck he has created in Ukraine is beyond me

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
Also, I don't think he's criticising Putin's authority, more criticising Shoigu's/Gerasimov's competence and honesty. I think Putin's playbook is happy having key people fight each other: it means they're not fighting him.

Directly that’s true, but indirectly Putin has reshuffled the top military team several times over. The criticisms have continued and even become louder.

From Putin’s perspective, there has to come a point where repeatedly criticising the people you’ve chosen as your generals and leaders becomes, by association, criticism of your personal decision making.

If Prigozhin persists in playing the “I’m competent, our national leadership isn’t” card, then for his sake I hope he conducts all his meetings at ground floor level or below.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
1st Anniversary tomorrow. Should have lasted 2 weeks with Zelensky in a cell in Moscow being 'persuaded' that Ukraine IS part of Russia..

Instead Russia's armed forces have shown to be fairly useless except for sending missiles into civilian targets and Zelensky is the most popular leader in the world.

Oh and Finland and Sweden joining NATO shortly. All going swimmingly then.

Happy Anniversary Vlad!

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Directly that’s true, but indirectly Putin has reshuffled the top military team several times over. The criticisms have continued and even become louder.

From Putin’s perspective, there has to come a point where repeatedly criticising the people you’ve chosen as your generals and leaders becomes, by association, criticism of your personal decision making.

If Prigozhin persists in playing the “I’m competent, our national leadership isn’t” card, then for his sake I hope he conducts all his meetings at ground floor level or below.
Yes, that's a good point

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
China supplying Russia with weapons will obviously mean heavy economic sanctions on China.

I'm not sure what the lag time to getting the weapons there would be but it seems pretty obvious now that the sooner Ukraine reclaims a lot of lost territory the better.

I wonder if the US would ever gift Ukraine the remaining flightworthy 40 or so "retired" F-117 stealth fighter/bombers as a response to Chinese weapon supplies ?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
In January 2022 Putin's approval rating was 69%.

In January 2023 it was 82%.

Just goes to show the power of thought control.
I mean, most of the original 31% who didn't approve have probably left, and the rest are being more strongly encouraged to approve...

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

TBH, the permanent departure of Prigozhin wouldn't bother me a bit. If/when Putin bites the dust, being replaced by Prigozhin would be about as bad as it gets.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
TBH, the permanent departure of Prigozhin wouldn't bother me a bit. If/when Putin bites the dust, being replaced by Prigozhin would be about as bad as it gets.
Indeed. The sad fact is that there isn't some democratic movement waiting in the wings to take over.

Having silenced all dissenting voices, Putin has surrounded himself with various shades of himself. Some are even worse.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I mean, most of the original 31% who didn't approve have probably left, and the rest are being more strongly encouraged to approve...
I think it's far more simple than that, he has just squashed any news agency from reporting the truth.

Most Russian people only get a heavily censored manipulation of what is actually occuring in Ukraine. And if your trusted news channels constantly tell the same lies, it's only natural that eventually you believe them.

But, there is a very interesting liberal YouTube channel, called 1420, that asks Russians Thier views on the current state of the political situation. Some of the responses are far more candid than you might expect. The last guy totally gets it and is happy to express his thoughts on camera, but he is in the minority. Whilst most spout Putin's lies.

Last edited:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a shame there isn't (to my eyes) an easy way for the regular people of the West to get a positive message to the regular people of Russia, that we do not want to "destroy" them or any such silly bollocks.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think it's far more simple than that, he has just squashed any news agency from reporting the truth.

Most Russian people only get a heavily censored manipulation of what is actually occuring in Ukraine. And if your trusted news channels constantly tell the same lies, it's only natural that eventually you believe them.

But, there is a very interesting liberal YouTube channel, called 1420, that asks Russians Thier views on the current state of the political situation. Some of the responses are far more candid than you might expect. The last guy totally gets it and is happy to express his thoughts on camera, but he is in the minority. Whilst most spout Putin's lies.

Fascinating interviews, thanks so much for posting. I hope that some of those guys (especially Zakhar) avoid mobilisation or worse 🤞

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It's a shame there isn't (to my eyes) an easy way for the regular people of the West to get a positive message to the regular people of Russia, that we do not want to "destroy" them or any such silly bollocks.
I feel we ought to be doing more with subtle hacks to get the message through to ordinary Russians that there never has been a plan to attack Russia, and that the war is all their own making. Perhaps we have got an army of spooks and reformed hackers working on it, but I can't see much in the way of success on that front.
Perhaps the Russians have just got better spooks than we have?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here