Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Yes, anything suspended is presumably reversible.
No, he didn't say he was cancelling the treaty. Is a cancellation reversible as well? I'm not sure in this case.

But are those questions the right ones to ask anyway?

It sounds like he made a belligerent gesture in this morning's speech (a unilateral suspension of the treaty), and then a few hours later, hinted that the suspension may be reversible. In return for what exactly?

Make a threat, but offer to then not carry it out in return for something he wants?

'I plan to nuke Ukrainian cities, but it may be avoidable if you give me the Donbas'.
Well, we know already that whatever Putin says cannot be trusted, and treaties seem completely irrelevant at the moment anyhow

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Unfortunately many people are automatically predisposed to believe a certain thing over another. Look at the way Trump manages to convince so many in the US that the last election was somehow rigged, even though there is literally no evidence to suggest it was. The difference being in the western democracies there's a plurality of people for others pin their hats to so it kind of balances out (for everyone in the UK who thinks Nigel Farage walks on water there's someone who believes Jeremy Corbyn is the second coming), whereas in Russia it's Putin or nothing. Then you get the people who almost certainly don't believe what he's saying but keep their traps shut to avoid disappearing in the middle of the night.
Well said. A friend recently met some Russians whilst travelling. They were clearly embarrassed about the war, critical of Putin but ( not surprisingly) too scared to do anything about it - just keeping their heads down at home until it goes away.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I just saw this on the BBC.

'Suspension of nuclear pact reversible, Russia signals'

'Away from Warsaw, Russia has signalled the possibility of compromise on a key nuclear arms agreement with the US.
A decision to suspend participation in the New Start treaty "may be reversible", according to a post on the Telegram messaging app by the Russian Foreign Ministry.
President Putin announced the suspension in his speech earlier today.'

It didn't take long for Putin to back pedal, did it?

Was there a back-channel discussion going on as well?
Like everybody else I have absolutely no idea, but my pet theory is the Chinese may have had a word in his ear. China might be more on his side than ours, but they don't want to see the world turned into a ball of radioactive ash any more than we do. Certainly not over Ukraine.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Like everybody else I have absolutely no idea, but my pet theory is the Chinese may have had a word in his ear. China might be more on his side than ours, but they don't want to see the world turned into a ball of radioactive ash any more than we do. Certainly not over Ukraine.
The Chinese certainly won't want that. Nor will they want sanctions imposed on them by the west, restricting access to a billion people in first world markets.

They are likely to consider what is in their own best interests. I suspect that will be to maximise the strategic position they find themselves in, but minimise the risk of escalation and sanctions. What that means on the ground exactly, is anyone's guess, but I would imagine they will seek to maintain normal relations with Russia, but also seek to end the war.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Chinese certainly won't want that. Nor will they want sanctions imposed on them by the west, restricting access to a billion people in first world markets.

They are likely to consider what is in their own best interests. I suspect that will be to maximise the strategic position they find themselves in, but minimise the risk of escalation and sanctions. What that means on the ground exactly, is anyone's guess, but I would imagine they will seek to maintain normal relations with Russia, but also seek to end the war.
China currently has its cake and eat it.

Opposing the West (not just the US) eg Australia, Japan, trying to bully others out of open seas. Surreptitiously backing our enemies.

Whilst it got and stays rich (but not the common man) from selling to the West. Governments went for globalisation, to produce everything far cheaper, shipping ‘crap’ across the globe, accelerating the use of finite resources. With unintended consequences.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Good theory.

Putin always seems to row back on his nuclear sabre rattling bluster after meetings with China or India.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
China currently has its cake and eat it.

Opposing the West (not just the US) eg Australia, Japan, trying to bully others out of open seas. Surreptitiously backing our enemies.

Whilst it got and stays rich (but not the common man) from selling to the West. Governments went for globalisation, to produce everything far cheaper, shipping ‘crap’ across the globe, accelerating the use of finite resources. With unintended consequences.
Yes, agreed.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But in the meantime, China can hoover up cheap Russian oil, gas and metals etc. Why change?

I'm struggling to think of a scenario in which China would arm Russia. If they did, they would risk helping Russians to kill more Ukrainians, and maybe other nationalities, increasing the risk of escalation and sanctions. Russia is now a world pariah, and is in real danger of breaking up. Better to bide your time, keep Russia dangling, pick over the carcass, and be best placed to take advantage of the myriad opportunities for land, influence and power during the disintegration of the Russian Federation.

All conjecture of course. I may be wrong, and frequently am.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Yes, agreed.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. But in the meantime, China can hoover up cheap Russian oil, gas and metals etc. Why change?

I'm struggling to think of a scenario in which China would arm Russia. If they did, they would risk helping Russians to kill more Ukrainians, and maybe other nationalities, increasing the risk of escalation and sanctions. Russia is now a world pariah, and is in real danger of breaking up. Better to bide your time, keep Russia dangling, pick over the carcass, and be best placed to take advantage of the myriad opportunities for land, influence and power during the disintegration of the Russian Federation.

All conjecture of course. I may be wrong, and frequently am.
I regularly see updates on twitter from a Ukrainian fighting on the frontline. Currently in Bakhmut but was elsewhere at the beginning. He says they regularly see Chinese supplied equipment especially drones. China knows that Russia is not going to win but by helping to drag the war out as long as possible, they know that Russia will be even weaker and more of a pariah on the world stage, when the war is over, allowing them to exert even more influence over them.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I regularly see updates on twitter from a Ukrainian fighting on the frontline. Currently in Bakhmut but was elsewhere at the beginning. He says they regularly see Chinese supplied equipment especially drones. China knows that Russia is not going to win but by helping to drag the war out as long as possible, they know that Russia will be even weaker and more of a pariah on the world stage, when the war is over, allowing them to exert even more influence over them.
Well yes, they want Russia to be dependent on them.

But the sort of drones which are being used are not mostly military (and adapted for military purpose) aren't they? So would likely be made in China

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A very believable first hand report from the frontline.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That's a very interesting take on a possible broader Chinese strategy. I've always thought a policy to drag the war out by delaying arms to Ukraine, (providing them with just enough not to lose, and to grind the Russians down) was precisely what the US wanted, so that Russia would slowly be drained of money, morale, arms, troops etc. All done at arms length with a minimum of risk. Until you mentioned it, it hadn't occurred to me that such a strategy might also suit the Chinese.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I regularly see updates on twitter from a Ukrainian fighting on the frontline. Currently in Bakhmut but was elsewhere at the beginning. He says they regularly see Chinese supplied equipment especially drones.
That's depressing. I wonder what the West are doing with this information?

China knows that Russia is not going to win but by helping to drag the war out as long as possible, they know that Russia will be even weaker and more of a pariah on the world stage, when the war is over, allowing them to exert even more influence over them.
I'd have thought that if China wants Russia to lose and be weak, it would be better if they performed worse and lost more quickly. Aiding them to carry on the fight does not guarantee they'll lose.

chickens

Have you considered masterly inactivity?
NSC Patron
Oct 12, 2022
May the infighting escalate into direct combat between them 🤞🤞
It does seem that Prigozhin is openly stoking conflict with the Kremlin. Such acts traditionally end with someone falling out a window. The question is, with Prigozhin openly courting other separatist warlords fighting for Russia, will it be Prigozhin or Putin?

This is the first time Putin’s authority is being openly and repeatedly challenged. Prigozhin has to be fairly confident that he has the muscle to repel any attempts to bring him to heel to adopt this position. Prigozhin for Russian leader?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here