Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
A slight diversion, but is it correct to call it a war?

To me a war has a different meaning to being invaded and defending oneself.
Can you say what your definition of war is?

Is it easier and quicker to say and type war?
Most of us are calling it a war because that's what we think it is. Not because it's too difficult to call it a Spec Op.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
A slight diversion, but is it correct to call it a war?

To me a war has a different meaning to being invaded and defending oneself.

Is it easier and quicker to say and type war?

Being invaded without legitimate reason keeps Ukraine as the faultless side.

This has to be a truly bizarre comment. What, in your eyes is a war then? Describe it.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
What a shitstorm the Russians have started for themselves.

Far worse than the Afghan affair, there is actively going to be NATO weaponry going straight over the border into the Ukraine (no doubt with a NATO instructor or two)

Also all the NATO satellite & airborne knowledge will be going direct to them - bad news if you are in a Russian Road Column.

Plus as has been already suggested, there may well be NATO Special Forces doing naughty things here there & everywhere.

Well done Vlad...

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What a shitstorm the Russians have started for themselves.

Far worse than the Afghan affair, there is actively going to be NATO weaponry going straight over the border into the Ukraine (no doubt with a NATO instructor or two)
All true - but there's been NATO weaponry going into Ukraine for years hasn't there? Obviously the quantity and variety will have gone up a lot since the invasion.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
All true - but there's been NATO weaponry going into Ukraine for years hasn't there? Obviously the quantity and variety will have gone up a lot since the invasion.

Not at all at the level that is now going to happen.

Putin has fvcked this up and as I posted earlier if there was a Russian 1922 Committee he would be given a short meeting, a Revolver and a polite farewell...

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm now convinced that war is inevitable with Russia, they're not backing down and they're not de-escalating. I think this will only end with Nato troops on the ground in Russia and removing Putin as president and taking control of their army. This isn't going to end any time soon and I think we're going to really get into it, there's no choice.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I'm now convinced that war is inevitable with Russia, they're not backing down and they're not de-escalating.
They're not backing down because they haven't secured anything, but they've also not lost. Why would they back down?

I think this will only end with Nato troops on the ground in Russia and removing Putin as president and taking control of their army.
What? You think we can take over Russia's army? Where in the world did you get that idea? "You're to follow our orders now" - "Yeski Mr American, we always want American leader"

In a word, no.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I'm now convinced that war is inevitable with Russia, they're not backing down and they're not de-escalating. I think this will only end with Nato troops on the ground in Russia and removing Putin as president and taking control of their army. This isn't going to end any time soon and I think we're going to really get into it, there's no choice.

If this is correct then Nuclear weapons will be deployed, initially in the theatre of war but subsequently and quite quickly on an intercontinental basis and then we're all ****ed.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

Total nuclear annihilation of Russia, Europe & America will occur before NATO troops set foot in Russia. They’ll need pretty good radiation protection to enter that Country which could be quite pointless seeing as their homelands would be radioactive rubble.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

alternatively they win the battle of Mariupol, defeat the Azov battalion and join up the land bridge to Crimea, then call that mission complete.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
alternatively they win the battle of Mariupol, defeat the Azov battalion and join up the land bridge to Crimea, then call that mission complete.
This is why I am watching closely the news on the slow Ukrainian counterattack in Kherson. If that breaks through - and I hope it does - then that land bridge suddenly looks very shaky.

A spectacular missile attack at that point on the bridge over the Kerch strait - coinciding with the May 9th military parade in Russia ? - and it all looks very dodgy for Putin in Crimea.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Russian engineering another front in Trasnistria between Moldova and Ukraine...seems like " terrorist " attacks there will justify opening another front.

@sentdefender

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Some concerning rhetoric over in the Far East. With US warning the Solomon Islands not to allow China to establish a military base there and fighting talk from Australia;

The rhetoric escalated in the wake of the statement, with the Australian prime minister, Scott Morrison, saying Australia had “the same red line” as the US when it came to China’s involvement in Solomon Islands, and defence minister Peter Dutton using his Anzac Day address on Monday to declare: “Australia should prepare for war”, claiming that China was “on a very deliberate course at the moment”.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...-if-china-establishes-base-in-solomon-islands

I think we are in for a horrific few years. And it’s not guaranteed life on earth will survive it.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'Russia trying to intimidate West with WWIII warning - Ukraine minister'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61224804 8:06

Russia "senses" its defeat in Ukraine and is therefore trying to intimidate the West against supporting Kyiv by warning of the threat of World War III breaking out, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba has tweeted.
"Russia loses last hope to scare the world off supporting Ukraine. Thus the talk of a 'real' danger of WWIII. This only means Moscow senses defeat in Ukraine.
"Therefore, the world must double down on supporting Ukraine so that we prevail and safeguard European and global security."
Kuleba's tweet, written in English, came after Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said Western arms shipments to Ukraine meant Nato was "in essence engaged in war with Russia" and there was "considerable" risk of the conflict escalating.'

Kuleba is correct.

When Russia raises the rhetoric, it is doing it because it perceives a threat.
When Russia threatens a wider (nuclear) conflagration, it is trying to warn off the west, because it sees the west winning the current conflict.

If Russia felt threatened by Nato before the invasion, then it will perceive the threat as several magnitudes greater now!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Indeed that's one of the possible scemarios.

Presumably Russia will remove anyone who's not pro-Russia from all captured areas, and then they can have a democratic vote for the areas to join Russia.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Indeed that's one of the possible scemarios.

Presumably Russia will remove anyone who's not pro-Russia from all captured areas, and then they can have a democratic vote for the areas to join Russia.

Agreed, but it's not really in the true spirit of democracy is it?

I read that all the members of the Duma, the Russian lower house, voted in favour of the invasion (sorry, special military operation) of Ukraine. Except one.
It was later found that his voting button wasn't working.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here