Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
My late Grandad's ship shelled Genoa during the second world war, how is this different? Is it just the extent of the shelling that matters, or the indescriminent nature of the shelling?*

* I have no idea how accurate 15" naval guns are in comparison to a modern missile.

well for one thing it was 75 yrs ago and it was part of a world war ......so don't feel bad , my old man killed plenty of Germans but they were all soldiers and mostly by hand , literally.....i think we can look at men like that as heroes , but indiscriminately peppering civilians with missiles and bombs , raping and killing women and children , nothing heroic there is there...?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I understand where you’re coming from. I still hope the murdering ******** die horribly.

This from someone who voted that Capital Punishment has no place in a civilised society in Lennie’s thread?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
well for one thing it was 75 yrs ago and it was part of a world war ......so don't feel bad , my old man killed plenty of Germans but they were all soldiers and mostly by hand , literally.....i think we can look at men like that as heroes , but indiscriminately peppering civilians with missiles and bombs , raping and killing women and children , nothing heroic there is there...?

I don't think anyone killing another person in War is a " Hero "

Russia has to lose here. That much is certain and what many of them are doing is absolutely Criminal. However some of the Russian soldiers are 16 and 17 year old kids from rural parts of Russia who have only joined up because it's the only way of earning money in those rural parts of Russia.

It brings me to tears almost when I see what Old Men around the World do in sending young men to their deaths .

Even more will die and Ukraine has " Righteousness " on its side in this War but for me no one is a " Hero "

Everyone will have to live with this for years. I am absolutely horrified watching on TV. Heaven help anyone physical affected by it all :(

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

Curious Orange

Punxsatawney Phil
Jul 5, 2003
On NSC for over two decades...

I don't feel bad about it, the port was the target and it wasn't protracted shelling over the course of weeks like Mariaupol has been.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
My late Grandad's ship shelled Genoa during the second world war, how is this different? Is it just the extent of the shelling that matters, or the indescriminent nature of the shelling?*

* I have no idea how accurate 15" naval guns are in comparison to a modern missile.

Good question, I wonder how it could be different?

I don't feel bad about it, the port was the target and it wasn't protracted shelling over the course of weeks like Mariaupol has been.

So, errrr, very different then.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I understand where you’re coming from. I still hope the murdering ******** die horribly.

Disgusting post. Probably many conscripts on that ship. A necessary evil, yes. Hoping for painful death while you're sitting on your arse in Brighton with a cup of tea, is another, very odd thing.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
[Tweet]1514452470566641666[/Tweet]

[Tweet]1514506370883665926[/Tweet]

This is one of the most powerful warships in the world.

As we found out in the Falklands, ships are sitting ducks for missiles these days, however powerful they might be before being targeted.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Disgusting post. Probably many conscripts on that ship. A necessary evil, yes. Hoping for painful death while you're sitting on your arse in Brighton with a cup of tea, is another, very odd thing.

Sat on their boat off shore, firing at civilians from a safe distance. Or so they thought. Do them good to have the war brought to them. Show them the effects of having missiles and shells rained down on them. Not one iota of sympathy for the murdering ****ers.

Edit; you know, you’re probably right that it was a grim post of mine. In hindsight I may be being harsh but when I think of the misery and carnage those Russians are causing, it makes my blood boil.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
This is one of the most powerful warships in the world.

As we found out in the Falklands, ships are sitting ducks for missiles these days, however powerful they might be before being targeted.

'This is one of the most powerful warships in the world.'

It isn't now!

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun

Unlike you I don't. My view on this - and I accept that this is not necessarily going to be a popular one - is that a lot of the Russian soldiers/sailors are also victims of Putin and his desire to recreate the old Soviet Union. Most of the Russians fighting are not seasoned professional soldiers, they are teenage conscripts who were initially told they were going on exercise. Going by some of the reports quite of lot of them don't want to be there at all and can't understand why they're fighting their 'brothers' but they're too afraid to speak out.

The murderers who need to die horribly are the ones in the Kremlin directing events, not the 18 year old conscripts who have been forced to be there

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
my old man killed plenty of Germans but they were all soldiers and mostly by hand , literally.....i think we can look at men like that as heroes
Didn't he have a gun? Didn't the enemy have guns?

but indiscriminately peppering civilians with missiles and bombs , raping and killing women and children , nothing heroic there is there...?
It's sickening. But don't pretend that every single Russian combatant has done those things.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Just following orders. They clearly have no empathy for the innocent people they are murdering en masse. And Seaman aboard a warship will not be your average "young, dumb soldiers (sic)". Sorry, I stand by my post.

I'm on this guy's team;

Ukraine soldiers told Russian officer ‘go **** yourself’ before they died on island

Thirteen border guards died in air and sea bombardment on Snake Island in Black Sea after refusing to surrender

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...o-****-yourself-before-black-sea-island-death

Sorry - I'm with Clamp on this too. My heart aches for the poor Ukrainians being murdered en masse. I don't
give a sh*t what happens to the Russian cowards.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It's sickening. But don't pretend that every single Russian combatant has done those things.

It's been claimed by Ukrainian reports, that a lot of atrocities have been carried out by Chechens. I wonder how many of the atrocities were carried out by conscripts?

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Unlike you I don't. My view on this - and I accept that this is not necessarily going to be a popular one - is that a lot of the Russian soldiers/sailors are also victims of Putin and his desire to recreate the old Soviet Union. Most of the Russians fighting are not seasoned professional soldiers, they are teenage conscripts who were initially told they were going on exercise. Going by some of the reports quite of lot of them don't want to be there at all and can't understand why they're fighting their 'brothers' but they're too afraid to speak out.

The murderers who need to die horribly are the ones in the Kremlin directing events, not the 18 year old conscripts who have been forced to be there

"I was only following orders" was the stock defence of many at the Nuremburg (and other trials) following WW2 to the charges of genocide and other "crimes against humanity".

It didn't work then and it sure as hell shouldn't work now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I accept that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here