Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Fair warning, this is a tough watch, but also important.

[tweet]1502000265490227206[/tweet]

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Putin has sacked eight of his generals because of the slowness in Ukraine. Hopefully they will rise against him.

This is exactly what we want to be seeing. The fracturing of Putin's high command. Also makes it significantly less likely anyone will be complicit in firing nukes. Great news. I think.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This is exactly what we want to be seeing. The fracturing of Putin's high command. Also makes it significantly less likely anyone will be complicit in firing nukes. Great news. I think.

This. 100%.

Despots who start making enemies internally with power bases tend not to hang around for long. Especially if there isn’t an instant turnaround in fortunes for the military.

Flex Your Head

Atomic Hobo - the weekly nuclear war podcast is always a fascinating listen. This week's episode is a look at Putin's behaviour and asks whether he's trying out the old 'Madman Theory'.

Essential listening for everyone on this thread I'd have thought, and nice and concise at just over 25 minutes.

https://shows.acast.com/atomichobo/episodes/the-madman-theory

I love Julie McDowall's gentle Scottish accent as she talks about all sorts of unspeakable terrors. More info here.

http://www.juliemcdowall.com/index.php/podcast/

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

I feel it is important to highlight, as you have done here, that a Russian nuclear strike is likely to involve the co-operation of a number of individuals before the missiles start flying. An awful lot of people seem to have the impression that Putin has a big red button on his desk and if he pushes it the missiles fly. I'd like to believe, and you can call me a naive idealist if you want, that there are some sane and decent Russians in the chain of command that will say "errr......nope."

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Too graphic for me, i wish I hadn't watched this.

I couldn't bring myself to.

Having avoided this thread (for a few reasons) today, I did see one post, just now, that brought me here to comment; [MENTION=15046]peterward[/MENTION] - I feel for you, and I hope and pray that you get some good news, asap.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Putin has sacked eight of his generals because of the slowness in Ukraine. Hopefully they will rise against him.

I'd imagine he also been effectively lied to about how easy the invasion would be. He's clearly the head of a mafia type organisation, but it's a mafia type organisation after all.

When you don't welcome criticism you end up with bad advice, covering up and lies.

I'd imagine the same happened in China when Covid broke. The central government assured a local outbreak was being handled until it was too late.

We are too quick in the West to describe dictatorships at being 100% controlled from the centre. The reality being that countries like Russia are a complete basket case with all sorts of power games going on.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I feel it is important to highlight, as you have done here, that a Russian nuclear strike is likely to involve the co-operation of a number of individuals before the missiles start flying. An awful lot of people seem to have the impression that Putin has a big red button on his desk and if he pushes it the missiles fly. I'd like to believe, and you can call me a naive idealist if you want, that there are some sane and decent Russians in the chain of command that will say "errr......nope."

Agreed. And you’re correct. Putin doesn’t have a big button. He doesn’t even have codes. He can send an order to Command who have codes who send these codes to a high command who can launch a nuke.
I doubt anyone would now complete the launch chain.
The US also has daily phone contact with the Russian high command and currently report this contact is still being made every day.

All very encouraging I think.

https://mobile.reuters.com/news/picture/factbox-what-is-the-chain-of-command-for-idUSKBN2KZ2FT

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The Z Symbol was banned in Czech reublic as a symbol of Hate like the Swastika, wheras in Kazan Russia, the Putin youth embrace it..... remind you of anything?

[tweet]1501676038090379267[/tweet]

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
The Z Symbol was banned in Czech reublic as a symbol of Hate like the Swastika, wheras in Kazan Russia, the Putin youth embrace it..... remind you of anything?

[tweet]1501676038090379267[/tweet]

Hey kids, when you get sent to the front line because there's no Putin army left and he's throwing even you at it, you can chant all
you like, it won't do your prospects any good.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'd imagine he also been effectively lied to about how easy the invasion would be. He's clearly the head of a mafia type organisation, but it's a mafia type organisation after all.

When you don't welcome criticism you end up with bad advice, covering up and lies.

I'd imagine the same happened in China when Covid broke. The central government assured a local outbreak was being handled until it was too late.

We are too quick in the West to describe dictatorships at being 100% controlled from the centre. The reality being that countries like Russia are a complete basket case with all sorts of power games going on.

He is the head of a Mafia organisation.

Says even the russian parliament (Duma) have to pay (him you'd guess) for their seats, then in return for tick box law passing they in turn can charge others to get stuff done.

Heard today, that the Oligarchs arent really business owners (though on paper they are), there more like managers of now privatised, former state industry, as without Putins endorsement, its all taken away. With his endorsement, they can materially profit, pay him his cut etc.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
On the timing I think this has been in the pipeline for years, he has been lining up the cards as much as possible IMO. I wonder if the pandemic affected anything, that effectively comes to an end and a couple of months later he's invaded.

and he is getting on a bit. the succession will be interesting, to say the least

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

I'm not so sure this is what you want to see.

Often in these things when such people are replaced they are replaced by psychopaths who are far more willing to commit atrocities than those whom they replaced.

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
I'm not so sure this is what you want to see.

Often in these things when such people are replaced they are replaced by psychopaths who are far more willing to commit atrocities than those whom they replaced.

**** me, here you are again. Read your message with a Russian accent and it makes a lot of sense. Your English isn’t very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here