Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
some light relief for Saturday night

[tweet]1500225341037625353[/tweet]

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not sure if this has been shared

https://youtu.be/aBh1px-7erM

Yes, and it was published in other media. But, on close inspection of the map, there is no evidence of Putin intending to invade Molodova, The media saw an angle that could give the impression he might and blew the story up into something big.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
Is anyone else worried about Russia appearing to single out the UK above anyone else in terms of him doing something nuts? Is there anything he can actual do?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Is anyone else worried about Russia appearing to single out the UK above anyone else in terms of him doing something nuts? Is there anything he can actual do?

Yes of course he could do something but realistically why would he risk the power of 30 NATO countries responding. On an economic level, not a lot as we don’t rely on Russia for exports including gas

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park

95% of his, and his mates, assets are in this country (London). It’s probably a message to BJ and the Tory cabinet.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

No. And yes, but he won't.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

If anything it will be subversive stuff like cyber attacks, releasing info embarrassing to those in power, using networks to gain influence / disrupt etc.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Yes, I’ve said it before, we are an island, Americas supposedly ally, less fall out (excuse the pun) of a retaliatory land attack.
We are a prime first strike and make the most the sense for Europe and the USA to think, don’t kid yourself thinking once one rocket has been sent everyone fires theirs in response….

We will be a sacrificial lamb, when it comes to survival

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Orryon

Yes, I’ve said it before, we are an island, Americas supposedly ally, less fall out (excuse the pun) of a retaliatory land attack.
We are a prime first strike and make the most the sense for Europe and the USA to think, don’t kid yourself thinking once one rocket has been sent everyone fires theirs in response….

In many ways, the first strike is irrelevant. If it’s London, Moscow, Paris, St Petersburg, Los Angeles or Volgograd; once the nuclear bomb is dropped, we are all doomed. Even those in the corners of the world would succumb to the nuclear winter that follows.

It’s a binary situation in my opinion; it either happens it it doesn’t. In that sense I’d stop ruminating about it. After some days, I have. It is out of the ordinary man’s control.

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020

Can we realistically be hit though? I’m assuming these things have a certain distance they can travel? And presumably we have some kind of defence in place to (have no idea what I’m talking about) intercept any genuine threat?

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing

The card machines all went down in Broadwater for nearly 5 minutes this morning. I very nearly had to use actual money. If the Russians hackers are as good as their military, then I guess they gave it their best shot

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Can we realistically be hit though? I’m assuming these things have a certain distance they can travel? And presumably we have some kind of defence in place to (have no idea what I’m talking about) intercept any genuine threat?

Their ICBSs (Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles) can hit the UK within 15-20 minutes of being launched. Then there's ones from their subs, where you can likely half that time, depending where they are, obvs.

Sleep well xx

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Their ICBSs (Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles) can hit the UK within 15-20 minutes of being launched. Then there's ones from their subs, where you can likely half that time, depending where they are, obvs.

Sleep well xx

They're Russian. They'll probably break down on the way.

driller

my life my word
Oct 14, 2006
The posh bit
36F1267F-C66B-4604-BC35-2A6BF3C4EB6B.jpeg

Words fail me.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

ICBM's have roughly a 3500 mile range, so yes, very much in striking distance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here