Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
By ignoring the ceasefire, IMO Putin is goading NATO to get involved. It confirms to me He is seeking WW3.

I don’t know what it is, perhaps he’s terminally ill and wants to burn the world with him but he is after total war.

I read earlier that if NATO get involved now it helps him domestically to justify the war because he can spin it as him being right all along, NATO wants to attack Russia.

Last edited:

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
By ignoring the ceasefire, IMO Putin is goading NATO to get involved. It confirms to me He is seeking WW3.

I don’t know what it is, perhaps he’s terminally ill and wants to burn the world with him but he is after total war.

I think you may be right, he’s been told he’s terminally ill. I said yesterday, as a child of the 70s , this is the most concerned I’ve been of mutually assured destruction. Someone needs to put a bullet in his napper.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I read earlier that if NATO get involved now it helps him domestically to justify the war because he can spin it as him being right all along, NATO wants to attack Russia.

I really don’t think NATO will engage, they know he’s baiting us. I don’t think it’ll go nuclear either. Hopefully someone will take the **** out.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think you may be right, he’s been told he’s terminally ill. I said yesterday, as a child of the 70s , this is the most concerned I’ve been of mutually assured destruction. Someone needs to put a bullet in his napper.

Recent photos show him with a very swollen, pale face. Possibly steroidal treatment for cancer.
My only reservation is that I can’t see anyone breaking the news to him. He’d very definitely shoot the messenger.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
US government has advised any US citizens in Russia to " leave immediately " and has said they may find themselves subject to " Harrasment ".....so, its straight back to the old traditional Soviet playbook, find " irregularities " with visas or papers, plant some drugs or kompromat and try and get some hostages. It's like we never left the 70's
UK citizens told by our Government to get out of Russia too.

Basically grab a rucksack and run if you are over there.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

He may do, but he seems to be trying hard to be able to blame others for it. If he just wanted it to all Kick off he could have rolled into Lithuania. That suggests he is concerned to some extent about having others on side, which if you just felt like burning everything, wouldn't really matter.

I think he just wants Ukraine in his pocket, and is a bit tetchy cos it isn't as easy as he thought, we have given Ukraine anti tank missiles they have been making good use of, the sanctions are biting and he is nervous that more help for Ukraine is on it's way.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I’m absolutely disgusted by the complete absence of moral courage and backbone in those around him. They seem quite happy to accept the status of high office but they have absolutely no balls. It’s one thing letting Putin do what the **** he wants on a day to day basis. But when he unilaterally invades a sovereign country because of misty-eyed nostalgia for the defunct USSR, slaughters innocent people, destroys whole cities and then starts threatening nuclear Armageddon like some deranged despot if anyone tries to stop him, then they have a duty to step up.

I don’t care how Russia chose to arrange their domestic political structures, but we cannot allow a situation to exist where one man can murder innocents and hold the world to ransom. His pathetic generals are as culpable as Putin if they don’t put an end to this madness.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
He may do, but he seems to be trying hard to be able to blame others for it. If he just wanted it to all Kick off he could have rolled into Lithuania. That suggests he is concerned to some extent about having others on side, which if you just felt like burning everything, wouldn't really matter.

I think he just wants Ukraine in his pocket, and is a bit tetchy cos it isn't as easy as he thought, we have given Ukraine anti tank missiles they have been making good use of, the sanctions are biting and he is nervous that more help for Ukraine is on it's way.

Very good point.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
UK citizens told by our Government to get out of Russia too.

Basically grab a rucksack and run if you are over there.

I’ll never understand why people don’t get the heck out earlier in these situations. Especially Brits. We can move very freely around the globe.
I’d have been on the first plane out as soon as Russia started massing on the border.
You need to move quickly and decisively in these situations.
People never think the worst will happen until it’s too late.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
I’ll never understand why people don’t get the heck out earlier in these situations. Especially Brits. We can move very freely around the globe.
I’d have been on the first plane out as soon as Russia started massing on the border.
You need to move quickly and decisively in these situations.
People never think the worst will happen until it’s too late.

I know someone who was asking people (on Facebook) if they should still go on their holiday to Moscow. What actually goes through their minds, and how do they function on a daily basis?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I’m absolutely disgusted by the complete absence of moral courage and backbone in those around him. They seem quite happy to accept the status of high office but they have absolutely no balls. It’s one thing letting Putin do what the **** he wants on a day to day basis. But when he unilaterally invades a sovereign country because of misty-eyed nostalgia for the defunct USSR, slaughters innocent people, destroys whole cities and then starts threatening nuclear Armageddon like some deranged despot if anyone tries to stop him, then they have a duty to step up.

I don’t care how Russia chose to arrange their domestic political structures, but we cannot allow a situation to exist where one man can murder innocents and hold the world to ransom. His pathetic generals are as culpable as Putin if they don’t put an end to this madness.

Agreed. They are all culpable and all guilty of war crimes. They should all be named and broadcast worldwide.

The west has to find a better way to get to the domestic Russian audience - the older people who firmly believe the state-run TV. I believe that's the key in the long term. The younger generation seem to already be aware of the reality to an extent, and constitute the bulk of the anti-war protests, and subsequent arrests. The Kremlin are bringing the shutters down, with more threats, more disinformation, blocking Facebook, slowing down Twitter etc.

The whole world, outside of Russia, has got the measure of Putin. Is it enough to bring him down?

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004

Spot on a country and it’s people being excused because they are subject to a media blackout whilst their army causes genocide in a democratic country.

Whatever happens here there is no way back for Russia now the actions of their leader and lack of action by the general populous will see them in the wilderness for decades to come.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013

History repeating itself mate

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I know someone who was asking people (on Facebook) if they should still go on their holiday to Moscow. What actually goes through their minds, and how do they function on a daily basis?

I’m sure to some degree this century people see real disaster and danger as nothing more than support banners on social media and Just Giving pages.
Tik Toks of teenagers saying how it’s affected their mental health. Nothing much more than the Ice-Bucket challenge or Jo Wicks.

Having said that, many people didn’t leave Germany and it’s neighbouring countries in the late1930’s, the Nazi’s targets hesitated because it was simply not believed that anyone would try and wipe out a whole race. Even when they were being interned in ghettos people thought that this would be the final stage of persecution.

It’s not just a modern phenomenon.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
I’m sure to some degree this century people see real disaster and danger as nothing more than support banners on social media and Just Giving pages.
Tik Toks of teenagers saying how it’s affected their mental health. Nothing much more than the Ice-Bucket challenge or Jo Wicks.

Having said that, many people didn’t leave Germany and it’s neighbouring countries in the late1930’s, the Nazi’s targets hesitated because it was simply not believed that anyone would try and wipe out a whole race. Even when they were being interned in ghettos people thought that this would be the final stage of persecution.

I'm amazed I know people that aren't really thinking about it, meanwhile my gas mask arrived today..

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Well said,but our best hope internal change otherwise will we all know what happens next.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I'm amazed I know people that aren't really thinking about it, meanwhile my gas mask arrived today..

Haha!
I’ve ordered an industrial vat of sunblock and the complete Sullivan’s DVD box set. Should see me through a nuclear winter?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here