Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Kind of - they still have a Russian driver

It’s still F1 so we need to temper our expectations, but by cancelling the Russian Grand Prix they’ve still done more than FIFA.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Much as with "Tory Meltdown" this is a thread documenting a historic event that future generations will study. They will have the benefit of lots of online comment and I'm sure no one wants NSC's contribution to that to be non stop conspiracy theory and personal score settling.

Anyone doing so from now on will be reading this without the right to post on it and may be banned from the whole forum for a very long time.

Cheers.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
So Poland, Czechs & Sweden all still refuse to play ‘RFU’ - then what ? Russians get a bye to Qatar ? FIFA will get there eventually but again showing themselves up for what they are

If Russia get a bye to Qatar all European countries should threaten to boycott the tournament entirely, it needs to be done

That would f**k em...

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
There's a news report on BBC where Russian bank's are effectively saying to the public that there is no need to panic and withdraw your money from the Russian banking system. Now there are 'City' people on this board could such an action see Russia,s banking system collapse and should that happen could we be looking at an internal power shift?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
When the Soviet Union broke up the West and NATO had won, I don't understand why their was a need for eastern expansion of it on Russia's door step afterwards.
Now you see why this conflict has come about. Maybe more effort should have been given to to put Russia in the family of nations, and also reduce the nuclear arms from both sides.

Quite simply having visited a satellite communist state in my teens unlike everyone else on here, it's quite understandable why those people wanted to be part of "West".

Unless you know what it's like to have your freedoms taken away, queue for food, be monitored by the security services constantly and wonder on a day to day basis whether your neighbour is snitching on you, I wouldn't second guess the motivations of people when they are freed from it and what they want to part of.

Our Governments are far from perfect, make terrible mistakes but we get the chance to vote them out. We can read what we like, say what we like and demonstrate in Whitehall about cheese with bits in.

However bad things get over here it is nothing to what those people suffered under the grip of the USSR.

That system created an underbelly of criminality and back handers. When that system collapsed in the USSR those people took over. The only fault of the West was their naivety in thinking they wouldn't.

Says me who will happily defend a couple of books Karl Marx wrote.

Last edited:

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
When the Soviet Union broke up the West and NATO had won, I don't understand why their was a need for eastern expansion of it on Russia's door step afterwards.
Now you see why this conflict has come about. Maybe more effort should have been given to to put Russia in the family of nations, and also reduce the nuclear arms from both sides.

Or maybe those countries felt safer under the NATO umbrella than living, without it, next to Russia. Can you see how well that worked out?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If Russia get a bye to Qatar all European countries should threaten to boycott the tournament entirely, it needs to be done

That would f**k em...

Teams and sponsors. Same with the US.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I’m lashing out at the poster who called me a liar despite posting a tweet with a link to home office advice that says the opposite.

Your post was just the ‘Belarus’ to his ‘Russian’ **** up. There are a number of posters, who normally support the government, assuming that we’ve given all Ukrainian refugees unconditional access to this country. There is still a visa system in place for them unless they have relatives in Britain of course.

You accused me of pre-judging the government because I asked ‘when’ they would drop all visa requirements for Ukrainian refugees as you’d clearly not read my post and entered the debate with the usual ‘that must be political, I’ll play devils advocate’ routine.

You were wrong, grow a pair and admit rather than try and patronise me, you’re better than that.

I stand by my point that because something hasn’t happened yet doesn’t mean it won’t happen ever. There were posters on here who criticized European nations for a slow reaction on economic sanctions and I made the same point to them. None of them reacted in the manner you have.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Warning - naughty words

[tweet]1497797398898176000[/tweet]

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
More fudge than the average Cornish gift shop

Surely will be an uproar from all European leagues if Russia are allowed clubs or country to play under any guise at expense of clubs and countries refusing to play them.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putin has fired his defence chief.....has the internal rebellion started?
Is it true or a fake story?

[tweet]1497989705903788036[/tweet]
Gerasimov is THE Russian military man.

He actually has his own doctrine - The Gerasimov Doctrine - which is basically what hybrid warfare is.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Russia only wanted Ukraine to remain neutral, not demand it becomes closer to Moscow.

Just playing devil's advocate here.

Or just repeating the paranoia of Putin who (as ex-member of the KGB) has never got over the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Russia is a huge country with valuable natural resources. But it's also an economic basket case under his leadership so it's no surprise he is trying to lob off bits of other countries to deflect attention.

Don't fall into this "any enemy of America is a friend of mine" nonsense.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
I believe Putin has Kyiv exactly where he wants it.

Reading between the lines, I believe he has a more sinister plan than to just carpet bomb/storm the capital.

Bearing in mind that all access to Kyiv is now 'blocked' by Russian forces, reports that food is running low and the drinking water becoming undrinkable, I believe it's now a waiting game, do the Ukraine people starve to death, surrender or become too weak to fight a Russian invasion say, next week?

This would open up Russia's military to focus on other cities/infrastructure in Ukraine. Whilst allowing them to sustain a low death count trying to storm the capital

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I believe Putin has Kyiv exactly where he wants it.

Reading between the lines, I believe he has a more sinister plan than to just carpet bomb/storm the capital.

Bearing in mind that all access to Kyiv is now 'blocked' by Russian forces, reports that food is running low and the drinking water becoming undrinkable, I believe it's now a waiting game, do the Ukraine people starve to death or surrender or become too weak to fight a Russian invasion say, next week?

This is not true. Quite a few local sources denying this and Klitschko who was originally quoted as saying this, has now denied he said this (mistranslated)

[tweet]1498024824991625216[/tweet]

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Surely will be an uproar from all European leagues if Russia are allowed clubs or country to play under any guise at expense of clubs and countries refusing to play them.

Much like they’ve all rushed to pull out of the Champions League (sponsored by Gazprom)?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
[tweet]1497994136732983317[/tweet]

Lots of talk this is a much-vaunted Chechen column of Russian armour. Or at least, it was.
Yes loads of these so-called elite Chechnians have met their end. Including at least 1 of Kadyrov's top warlords.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here