Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
One of my strongly held opinions as a historian (and indeed the basis of my post-graduate thesis) was on the basis that the policy of appeasement in 1938 by Chamberlain was necessary owing to Britain being unable to go to war against Germany at that time. I firmly believe, having read widely on the subject, that appeasement in 1938 was the only option.

Appeasement has been shown to be badly flawed as an idea in 2022. We now have to conclude we are dealing with a non-rational actor.

As should be obvious, my opinion of our current Prime Minister could hardly go any lower. However I retain a belief, however perhaps naive it may sound, that he will today do the right thing and impose an incredibly harsh sanctions regime on all Russian oligarchs and those related to Putin. Including seizure of assets, freezing of accounts and (in some cases) deportation. The time for pussyfooting around is, I'm sad to say, over. Does he have the courage to do this? Is he too compromised personally and through his party to do this? I sincerely hope not. Because right now, we have no other option. Well, no other thinkable option...

Whilst I have a different perspective on 1938 from my study of history, your view is one that is perfectly valid and widely held. It is always dodgy to make parallels from previous events. In some ways though the parallels are plain: appeals to ethnic loyalty (1938 sudatenland, now Dombas) . Then look at what happened to Czechoslovakia a few months after Munich and see what is now happening in Ukraine. Time to get serious with Putin.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And don't underestimate the "secrets" that Trump told his boss.

Yeap, we cannot underestimate the degree infiltration into Western society and we will never know the origins of so much dirty money that has polluted us.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
The fact that Putin held off until the end of the winter Olympics suggests to me that he is keeping China onside

Do you really think Putin gives a flying f*ck about the winter Olympics? I've been pondering why he has chosen this specific moment to launch his attack, as it's obviously been planned for some time, but I can't see that the winter Olympic games would have factored into his thought process. He is however, perhaps a slightly deranged man, although not stupid.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I'm rather delighted you are not in charge.

That would be an act of war by the part of NATO against Russia and escalate very quickly into mushroom clouds over Moscow, London and Washington.

Right now, I'd imagine that NATO will want to move forces up to the border and we'll see a significant increase in GDP spent on defence. Lockheed Martin will be delighted.

The cold war is back. Let's hop it thaws with Putin's waning power. Let's hope Putin doesn't feel cornered and do something stupid. He already appears to be nervy and unhinged. I'm guessing there's more to this than meets the eye domestically speaking back in Russia.

I was merely saying that the USA could and should have been doing far more to defend the Ukraine including a clear no-fly zone with their overwhelming air power as was done in Iraq?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
China is undoubtedly the key player in how this pans out long term IMO. The fact that Putin held off until the end of the winter Olympics suggests to me that he is keeping China onside, hope that they don't get too pally.

Sorry that is utter bollox, do you honestly think he is bothered by the Olympics, sending young children doped up on drugs, shows his utter contempt for it.

The reason they are going in now, is it is his last chance, they would have gone in sooner, had the usual weather prevailed and the ground frozen. That is why thousands of troops have been sat on the boarder for months, waiting for the ground to freeze. So they could roll in, without getting bogged down, we are getting towards the end now of winter in the region and it is now or never.

Simple war tactics from the Kremlin, nothing to do with pissing off the Chinese at all.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185202 said:
Do you really think Putin gives a flying f*ck about the winter Olympics? I've been pondering why he has chosen this specific moment to launch his attack, as it's obviously been planned for some time, but I can't see that the winter Olympic games would have factored into his thought process. He is however, perhaps a slightly deranged man, although not stupid.

Well, if Jinping said to Putin "wait until the Olympics have finished", as has been suggested, then I do think Putin would take that on board.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The bomb would hit London , judging by this , we would probably survive it. Would expect a few nukes to be sent over in return

https://www.mylondon.news/news/local-news/incredible-map-shows-what-would-17138323

I'd feel pretty certain that at least some of our nuclear submarines are somewhere in the baltic or black sea right now.....however, I think any talk of Nuclear is premature, its not going to happen right now. Putin is not a suicide bomber, he is gambling on the wests reposnse just being economic, that he has already saved cash for.

Cant underestimate how important it is to stand up to him today, not appease, not cow, not back down, for if we dont this will become a bigger problem and we'll face the same again, maybe after another period of severe economic turbulence in the west. He has to be stopped now. If he threatens nuclear, face him down.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
What makes me angry is that Britain faces this scenario out of the EU, weak and isolated and vulnerable to a Russian cyber- attack.

We could be that crucial link between the USA and Europe. Now we are nowhere, trying to find a role.

Thks is exactly the situation Putin wanted and worked for. Fracture Western Europe, then roll the tanks in. Too many people took peace for granted.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I do take some solace in the fact that now negotiating is over, decisions and strategy will now be in the hands of experienced military personnel. Politicians are now just effectively mouth-pieces. The big decisions are now being made by figures who know their stuff, not buffoons like Johnson and Truss.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What makes me angry is that Britain faces this scenario out of the EU, weak and isolated and vulnerable to a Russian cyber- attack.

We could be that crucial link between the USA and Europe. Now we are nowhere, trying to find a role.

Thks is exactly the situation Putin wanted and worked for. Fracture Western Europe, then roll the tanks in. Too many people took peace for granted.

Divide and rule, its what people like Putin do, our security is deeply comprimised being out of Europol and the Schenhen information database, all for what???

Those in the west that have fallen for the nonsense in the past decade need to give their heads a wobble....

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
only one certainty in life, we will die

Be interesting how this plays out , Maybe its time to stop tip toeing around

And that 17.00 on Saturdays is not the time to read NSC if the Albion have been defeated.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-[emoji713 said:
-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185202]Do you really think Putin gives a flying f*ck about the winter Olympics? I've been pondering why he has chosen this specific moment to launch his attack, as it's obviously been planned for some time, but I can't see that the winter Olympic games would have factored into his thought process. He is however, perhaps a slightly deranged man, although not stupid.
Allegedly Putin delayed attack by 2 days to make it look like US Intelligence was useless.

I'm thankful he did given my family flew back on Tuesday.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Based on him apparently dismissing the views from this advisors I wonder if there’s a forming internal threat again him, although assume this would give the perception of weakness internationally if applied.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
That would be a red rag to a psychopathic dictator and emblazon him with self righteousness, playing into his narrative.

I am under no illusions that if he sent a nuclear missile anywhere it would not be America first, it would be us, an Island with a long standing "special" relationship with America, an island that will have cut off their funds, an island where they feel free to come and murder without repercussions, an island that has stood up to tyranny before in Europe, an island that has left the EU, an island not connected to the rest of Europe, a powerful island is the sensible first strike.

That would send a message to the rest of Europe, the world, that stop, let me do what I want or the rest will follow.....
I've always said our poxy little island will be the first to go

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10185202 said:

I’m no fan of trump in any shape or form but I suspect Putin would have thought twice about invading Ukraine if Trump was still president. Sometimes it takes a ego manic to stop a dangerous loon.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Based on him apparently dismissing the views from this advisors I wonder if there’s a forming internal threat again him, although assume this would give the perception of weakness internationally if applied.

Apparently there is a general “WTF”? Response from his top ranking military. Hasn’t stopped them following his orders. So far….

Rambo

Don't Push me
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Worthing/Vietnam
Where does it really all go from here but down the swanny?

Putin has proven that he cant be trusted, has burnt all his bridges everywhere in the West so how can a serious diplomatic conversation ever be held with him again in the future? Even if a way round this crisis was found everything has changed now. Throttling the Russian economy will hurt the Russian people too and probably only galvanise them in a fight against the West. When you have nothing, you have nothing to lose.

I cant see this ending well and pray I am proved wrong.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here