Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Talk that Russian media is showing the damage caused by Ukrainian shelling interspersed with reports of attacks on ethnic Russians in Ukraine as the first part of getting the home audience onside for the " reluctant " invasion that is to come. Putin has said time and time again that he has no intention of invading so he's desperately looking for that excuse TO invade or he suffers a loss of face if he backs down.

Sadly I think this is going off and we can't stop it. All we can do is reinforce ALL the NATO alliance nations that border Russia and soon to be illegally annexed Ukraine and say this is the line we WILL defend and we will not back down. Then its hoping for regime change in Russia, Putin won't last forever and hopefully the next Russian leader has a bit less of a sociopath about him.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The modern state of Kuwait was founded in 1961. Guess who was behind that?

And guess who supported Saddam Hussein during the many years of the Iran Iraq war?

See a pattern emerging???

OK, Kuwait's history is more complex than I realised (often the case) - I shall do my homework 👍

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Talk that Russian media is showing the damage caused by Ukrainian shelling interspersed with reports of attacks on ethnic Russians in Ukraine as the first part of getting the home audience onside for the " reluctant " invasion that is to come. Putin has said time and time again that he has no intention of invading so he's desperately looking for that excuse TO invade or he suffers a loss of face if he backs down.

Sadly I think this is going off and we can't stop it. All we can do is reinforce ALL the NATO alliance nations that border Russia and soon to be illegally annexed Ukraine and say this is the line we WILL defend and we will not back down. Then its hoping for regime change in Russia, Putin won't last forever and hopefully the next Russian leader has a bit less of a sociopath about him.

His daughter is apparently being lined up

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Cant read the Indy article, but the Guardian article exactly supports my post.... Mugabe gave nothing to the people, all land purchased under the deal went to cronies,.... take it from me, it all lies there now, unused, overgrown and worthless.

The UK gave millions, but Mugabe reneged on all his promises of peace and democracy... killed tens of thousands... that's why the UK didnt give the rest of the money.

He was a racist, a homophobe... he was corrupt in the extreme, and employed north korean trained mercenaries to kill his own citizens, black and white.... again, that's why his financial support was cut short.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Im 55. I really did not think I would see this sort of crisis on European soil. Where it all ends, no one is sure. If the worse happens I just hope that Ukraine put up stiff resistance and give Putin a bloody nose - which carries on for years with Ukrainian resistance. Also, that the anti tank weapons we gave Ukraine are put to good use and payback for Salisbury.

Putin really needs to know where the line in the sand is. In a sense we have appeased him too many times. Litvenchenko, Salisbury were times when we should have punished Russia harder.

They are truly a pariah state. We should never have gone to the World Cup in 2018 after Salisbury. Putin must have laughed his socks off. Pressure should have been put on the Olympic committee to actually punish Russia in doping scandal -rather than keep their athletes but under a different flag.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Thought Blinken was excellent in the UN security council yesterday by clearly spelling out Russia's plans to fabricate a pretext to invade Ukraine.

It's already happening, yesterday the kindergarden on the Ukraine side was shelled, over 60 violations of shelling from the Russian military in the puppet states were noted..... Which was backed up by monitors. Obviously trying to lure Ukraine to retaliate, which they haven't, the Ukrainian armed forces commander noted they didn't, nor would they be lulled into the Russian trap.

Today Putin says the situation in eastern Ukraine is rapidly deteriorating (you don't say....as it's on your orders), and in the last hour the puppet head of the LNR has announced that all men must be ready to fight "against Ukrainian genocide" and the puppet head of the DNR has announced a mass evacuation of all women, children and elderly to Russia as Ukraine's forces surround the DNR and they have intelligence the Ukrainian president is about to launch an attack on them.

https://www.kyivpost.com/ukraine-politics-2/breaking-leader-of-russian-occupied-enclave-in-donbas-announces-civilian-evacuation.html

Putin clearly just trying to reflect his own madness onto the other side, nobody in the west will buy this obvious deception which is all part of the pretext generation efforts, but then again he hasn't the slightest interest that everyone in the west knows it's him and he's lying. The narrative is entirely to try and justify his lies to the Russian TV audience.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Not looking good at the moment, explosions and evacuations going on. Fingers crossed this is just more bluster...

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Not looking good at the moment, explosions and evacuations going on. Fingers crossed this is just more bluster...

Hope so, but Putin, is going in and there is nothing the "west" can do about it, he does not give a feck what we think or say.

It is all about what we the "west" do that determines how this escalates, he knows we do not have the backbone for war.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Seriously, Vladimir, it's better for everyone if you just slink off home.

[Tweet]1494655948912267264[/Tweet]

(Thread)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The so-called Peoples Republics of Donetsk and Luhansk are now "evacuating" citizens to Russia.

Those busses they'll use will be prime False Flags.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Putin wants to keep up is hard man facade, sadly Ukraine are the madmans target and sadly nothing appears to be changing his mind with progressing with his whim

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
Im 55. I really did not think I would see this sort of crisis on European soil. Where it all ends, no one is sure. If the worse happens I just hope that Ukraine put up stiff resistance and give Putin a bloody nose - which carries on for years with Ukrainian resistance. Also, that the anti tank weapons we gave Ukraine are put to good use and payback for Salisbury.

Putin really needs to know where the line in the sand is. In a sense we have appeased him too many times. Litvenchenko, Salisbury were times when we should have punished Russia harder.

They are truly a pariah state. We should never have gone to the World Cup in 2018 after Salisbury. Putin must have laughed his socks off. Pressure should have been put on the Olympic committee to actually punish Russia in doping scandal -rather than keep their athletes but under a different flag.

Agree with much of this, all it would take to set a hard red line and call Putin's bluff is for the US/NATO to deploy several thousand troops in Ukraine acting as guarantors of Ukraine sovereignty as long as its borders are under threat. Unfortunately, NATO deployments outside its founding principles of defending member states need consensus so it wouldn't act and Biden clearly isn't prepared to step up. A bully exploits weakness and runs away from real strength, Putin has calculated he can probably get away with an invasion ... sadly he is probably correct.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

I’m not confident. This is looking like it could be it, I fear.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Hope so, but Putin, is going in and there is nothing the "west" can do about it, he does not give a feck what we think or say.

It is all about what we the "west" do that determines how this escalates, he knows we do not have the backbone for war.
There is not nothing that can be done, but what could be done would require courage perhaps beyond Biden - even though he has handled things well up to now.

The US F-35 reinforcements have arrived in Germany - so far advanced of anything the Russians have ( bar, I think only 12 of their latest aircraft ).

A no-fly zone ( at least over west Ukraine ) could be imposed by the brave. The raptors and spirits are more than capable of taking out any Russian Air defence based on the ground in Ukraine.

Courage is required.

How did it come to this ?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Seriously, Vladimir, it's better for everyone if you just slink off home.

not sure if the source is on the level though interesting. i was reading some military analysis earlier at the weekend, they reckon the Russian army isnt all that - too many conscripts, not enough professional NCOs and officers to keep them in check. the battalion-tactical groups rely on local mercenary/milita to operate in the field, who are motivated but less well trained. begs the question why they dont swap conscripts for militia. Russia is supposed to have invested in their miltary in recent years, wonder if its all gone on toys (certainly not on the navy...)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
There is not nothing that can be done, but what could be done would require courage perhaps beyond Biden - even though he has handled things well up to now.

The US F-35 reinforcements have arrived in Germany - so far advanced of anything the Russians have ( bar, I think only 12 of their latest aircraft ).

A no-fly zone ( at least over west Ukraine ) could be imposed by the brave. The raptors and spirits are more than capable of taking out any Russian Air defence based on the ground in Ukraine.

Courage is required.

How did it come to this ?

Because of one man and his misguided dreams. A man that can falsely claim there are Human Rights violations taking place against ethnic Russians in Ukraine while seeing nothing wrong with poisoning a mans underpants .

Mind you. he's played a blinder this time, he has to have a pretext for invading that stands up to a threadbare type of scrutiny so he comes up with this... get one of his political goons in Donetsk to babble he is evacuating old people, women and children because of an imminent attack from Ukraine ( who might legitimately want their territory back but are not stupid enough to invade ) and who then steps in to the country with his huge numbers of troops as a knight in armour to help rescue these poor unthreatened people ? It's so so shallow but he will happily puff that lie as a justification.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The so-called Peoples Republics of Donetsk and Luhansk are now "evacuating" citizens to Russia.

Those busses they'll use will be prime False Flags.

Shells allegedly going off today in residential areas, a car bomb outside the DNR head office........ and for 8 years Ukraine has maintained its defensive posture without firing, and yet today with 190K Russian troops all around the country, fully trained to invade at the drop of a hat, with lots of specific intelligence on such a types of false flag being made to fabricate a pretext......

Ukrainian forces got inside Donetsk let off a car bomb and fired shells into the city??

What kind of brainless half wit buys his absolute BS

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
All sounds rather similar to Poland in September 1939, the Germans faked some incidents to justify invasion.

And who of course were their Best Mates - well well it was Russia...

Yes they did, they took some concentration camp prisoners, put them in Polish Uniforms, shot them then claimed they'd attacked a German barracks in Germany.

Soviets/Russians have always used this tactic, they used it as a pretext to invade peaceful Finland in 1939

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shelling_of_Mainila

I wish someone would start a Russian language media organisation (similar to the lies and disinformation of RT), and simply tell the truth of all of Russia malignent actions to a Russian speakers.....

All the garbage now is for their consumption, to brainwash them with lies

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
Shells allegedly going off today in residential areas, a car bomb outside the DNR head office........ and for 8 years Ukraine has maintained its defensive posture without firing, and yet today with 190K Russian troops all around the country, fully trained to invade at the drop of a hat, with lots of specific intelligence on such a types of false flag being made to fabricate a pretext......

Ukrainian forces got inside Donetsk let off a car bomb and fired shells into the city??

What kind of brainless half wit buys his absolute BS

sadly, he does himself

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here