Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I know I bang on about Orban a lot but f***ing Hell

This isn’t just his usual nonsense but basically a NATO and EU member saying “well, Vlad, I can tell you Budapest is just lovely, you should definitely pay us a visit…”

Just effing madness.
And he said 'lands were lost,' because Ukraine fought back. Does he not understand that ALL land is lost if you don't fight?🤦🏼‍♂️.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Would you lend the Russian government money, and trust them to pay you back in 5, 10, 15, 20 years time? Of course not.

The Russian bond market is collapsing, according to Joe Blogs.

TL,DR: Russia is f***ed. People don't want to buy Russian bonds, even with a huge 19% yield. So Russia is using up its reserves to fund its war economy, and at some point, it will run out of money.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would you lend the Russian government money, and trust them to pay you back in 5, 10, 15, 20 years time? Of course not.

The Russian bond market is collapsing, according to Joe Blogs.

TL,DR: Russia is f***ed. People don't want to buy Russian bonds, even with a huge 19% yield. So Russia is using up its reserves to fund its war economy, and at some point, it will run out of money.

Which shows that, for all the criticism of the western military response and military aid it has provided, the financial sanctions are doing exactly what they were designed to do and slowly grinding the Russian economy into the dirt, leaving it ultimately unable to wage war at all.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Which shows that, for all the criticism of the western military response and military aid it has provided, the financial sanctions are doing exactly what they were designed to do and slowly grinding the Russian economy into the dirt, leaving it ultimately unable to wage war at all.
Which was almost certainly the ultimate goal. To disable, cripple Russia. The west (mainly the US) has waged this war at arms length, flexed its economic might and played on Putin's ego, paranoia and propaganda machine to forever tell Russians they are winning. Let him destroy Russia himself.

The result today is the Putin regime, has showcased its incompetence and military weakness to the whole world. Russia has lost power, friends, influence, reputation, weapons, its war chest, troops, goodwill, trust, reserves, its economy, trading customers, and the ability to trade in an equal market, for decades. Perhaps generations.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
I’ve just watched Lavrov’s latest address to the UN today which included the usual rant against “the west” about how it had invaded Iraq, Libya and stirred up trouble in Georgia - fair enough. Unfortunately he didn’t seem to have time to say anything about Syria, or Russian “aspirations” in Africa, or their assassinations in Europe ……or their invasion of Ukraine. He found time to mention the 27m soviet citizens who died in WW2, though sadly failed to mention that 3m were Ukrainians that Russia had starved to death. It seems that poor old Lavrov is losing his memory as he gets older.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I’ve just watched Lavrov’s latest address to the UN today which included the usual rant against “the west” about how it had invaded Iraq, Libya and stirred up trouble in Georgia - fair enough. Unfortunately he didn’t seem to have time to say anything about Syria, or Russian “aspirations” in Africa, or their assassinations in Europe ……or their invasion of Ukraine. He found time to mention the 27m soviet citizens who died in WW2, though sadly failed to mention that 3m were Ukrainians that Russia had starved to death. It seems that poor old Lavrov is losing his memory as he gets older.
Is he still alive?... that's a shame

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Dream on.

He u-turned on speaking to Zelenksyy because it suited his narcissistic focus on being “in” with high level talks particularly as Starmer didn’t speak to Harris which I maintain was a mistake. Harris is just as much the likely next President as Trump.

Trump is never going to be ‘open-minded’ about Ukraine, he is a Putin appeaser and any relationship between Trump and Zelenskyy is going to be characterised by Trump putting pressure on him to concede territory to Putin in some Trump-Putin favoured peace plan much in the same way, his Peace Plan for Israel sold the Palestinians down the river by agreeing that a 3rd of the West Bank be given to Israel.

Trump needs to be kept away from imposing any settlements in Ukraine - it is up to Zelenskyy what deal if any he makes with Russia, I don’t care how “open-minded” he pretends to be nor do I read anything into him agreeing to meet with Zelenskyy other than it is access for him to push Putin’s agenda for Ukraine as he always has done.
I believe it was more Harris not finding time for Starmer, than Starmer not finding time for Harris.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Lavrov is just a fat dog-like jowelled, piece of shit who will be dead soon.
So, he will have no interest in the future survival of any of the world, then - it won't bother f all either way for scum like him? Probably more of a danger than Putin (or Trump), both of whom think the most important thing in the world is them, and staying alive.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So, he will have no interest in the future survival of any of the world, then - it won't bother f all either way for scum like him? Probably more of a danger than Putin (or Trump), both of whom think the most important thing in the world is them, and staying alive.

Lavrov hasn't got to where he is by being principled, he also wants to stay alive. essbee just doesn't think he will.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Join the dots Yelena. One day Russia, if it still exists, may yet be invited once again to participate in sports events.
But I don't think inciting your government to commit further mass murder, is going to help your cause.

Be sure to read the replies - they're good.

Do they think the UK is the cause of their problems?

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Join the dots Yelena. One day Russia, if it still exists, may yet be invited once again to participate in sports events.
But I don't think inciting your government to commit further mass murder, is going to help your cause.

Be sure to read the replies - they're good.

And don't forget to go out and grab your daily 6 pack of doughnuts today Yelena.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Do they think the UK is the cause of their problems?
I don't know. Who knows what goes on inside the heads of Russians?

There's no realisation, none, as to why they might have been banned from competition in the first place.
Just a kneejerk reaction to blame someone other than themselves.

But dropping a serious bomb on London will make things right......

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Indeed. We tend to focus on and celebrate local resistance operations. But this is a timely reminder that some Russians (I've no idea what proportion) are pro-Putin and pro-war.

I'm jumping ahead a bit, but some Youtubers are speculating whether Russia will descend into civil war.
Lots of people in prominent positions (if a ski fed is such a thing) happily spout pro-war stuff. Maybe they are expected to, maybe it's who they are, I dunno.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here