Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I personally believe its to stop/slow down advance towards Crimea and it also takes away Ukraines ability to decide if/where to attack across half of the previous southern front line.

Now the Russians have pigeon holed Ukraine to only east of Zaporizhia and can reinforce that area with previous troops from the left bank (now flooded)
Assault hovercrafts are needed

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I personally believe its to stop/slow down advance towards Crimea and it also takes away Ukraines ability to decide if/where to attack across half of the previous southern front line.

Now the Russians have pigeon holed Ukraine to only east of Zaporizhia and can reinforce that area with previous troops from the left bank (now flooded)
Oh I agree, but it is also useful for the Russians, as I suggested in the reason I put forward.
There will be mass graves everywhere, and if they know an area will be flooded, they do not even need to do that, if as some reports have suggested, they have wiped out entire villages and small towns.

Last edited:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Another war crime. They simply don't care about the consequences.

Article 56 - Protection of works and installations containing dangerous forces​

1. Works or installations containing dangerous forces, namely dams, dykes and nuclear electrical generating stations, shall not be made the object of attack, even where these objects are military objectives, if such attack may cause the release of dangerous forces and consequent severe losses among the civilian population. Other military objectives located at or in the vicinity of these works or installations shall not be made the object of attack if such attack may cause the
release of dangerous forces from the works or installations and consequent severe losses among the civilian population.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
What, exactly, is the benefit - or need - to you to get the news two hours earlier? How, precisely, does that improve anything practically?
All I am saying is that if I want to see the news - I want to see what is happening now - surely everyone does don't they?
When I used to watch the Nine O'clock news - I assumed it was the news at 9 O'clock - Not what had happened by 7 O'clock
Is that too much to ask
Especially when everyone else is watching the news at 9 O'clock

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Oh I agree, but it also is useful to the Russians for the reason I put forward.
There will be mass graves everywhere, and if they know an area will be flooded, they do not even need to do that, if as some reports have suggested, they have wiped out entire villages and small towns.
Long thread timeline... well worth a read.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

1. Works or installations containing dangerous forces, namely dams, dykes and nuclear electrical generating stations, shall not be made the object of attack, even where these objects are military objectives, if such attack may cause the release of dangerous forces and consequent severe losses among the civilian population. Other military objectives located at or in the vicinity of these works or installations shall not be made the object of attack if such attack may cause the
release of dangerous forces from the works or installations and consequent severe losses among the civilian population.
They will use the Zaporizhzhia power station in some way, as a threat, bargaining tool, disaster (please, no). They have already stationed offensive weapons directly on the nuclear power station.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Long thread timeline... well worth a read.

so was the dam incident a local f*** up by military for narrow tactical response to some Ukrainan threat?

either way strategic fail. i recall a major reason for the entire offensive was to secure the fresh water supply to Crimea from this dam.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
so was the dam incident a local f*** up by military for narrow tactical response to some Ukrainan threat?

either way strategic fail. i recall a major reason for the entire offensive was to secure the fresh water supply to Crimea from this dam.
It's starting to look that way, maybe/yes 🤔

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Apparently the crimea canal won't go to zero, but just reduced. Besides they survived without it for 8 years. Stopping Ukraine offensive between Nova Kakovkha and Kherson seems to trump civilian needs for water in Crimea. Narrowing Ukraines attack vector also makes it easier for Russia to concentrate defensive forces..... it could also be a case of simply scorched earth to destroy everything?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
They will use the Zaporizhzhia in some way, as a threat, bargaining tool, disaster (please, no). They have already stationed offensive weapons directly on the nuclear power station.
They will do it, unless Putin is taken out, they will imho 😞

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
They will use the Zaporizhzhia in some way, as a threat, bargaining tool, disaster (please, no). They have already stationed offensive weapons directly on the nuclear power station.
Cancel your summer holidays folks, a nuclear summer is about to be on us in the next few weeks, possibly quicker as this all seems to be accelerating rather quickly now.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing

To be fair, we killed around 1,400 civilians in the Dambusters attack and made movies about it. Completely non-equatable circumstances I grant you, but it’s not the first time this kind of infrastructure has been targeted at great cost to civilians.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
To be fair, we killed around 1,400 civilians in the Dambusters attack and made movies about it. Completely non-equatable circumstances I grant you, but it’s not the first time this kind of infrastructure has been targeted at great cost to civilians.
Multiple reports that as ukrainian civilians are being evacuated in Kherson region, the Russians are shelling them with Artillery 😡

Zelensky this morning by video call to a NATO meeting.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Here's a nod in favour of at least some fact checking before publication.
The Sky news summary on my Alexa just now stated confidently that:
" Iran's first developed hypersonic missile can avoid all air defence systems and is capable of travelling at FIVE TIMES THE SPEED of LIGHT"
So Iran can now do the Kessel Run in less than 12 parsecs?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Video showing some fo the extent of the flooding.no doubt many elderly and disabled will have drowned.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here