Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Apologies, can't believe the BBC were so behind...
The BBC have recently introduced a new service - BBC Verify, to validate news as it comes in. I assume it was brought in to handle news items on the war.

No doubt it was done with the best of intentions, but when major news breaks as it has done this morning, its disadvantages become apparent.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Nova Kakovka dam (under Russian control) has been blown. Devastating flooding will now occur downstream wiping out loads of settlements and making it almost impossible for Ukraine to cross in the water, bog/mud.

Upstream it's this body of water that is absolutely necessary to cool the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant reactors (also under Russian control).

Its a huge war crime that will devastate southern 🇺🇦 in the coming hours.

It was widely reported months ago, Russua had mined dam, and they've been evacuating people/settlements on left bank for months. Ukraine say Russia did it, Russia deny and say either nothing happened or Ukraine did it.

This will almost completely halt any Ukrainian attempt to get to Crimea or south Kherson/Melitipol for months if not this year.

Edit: Russia now claiming it happened merely due to damage (and not Ukraine) which only leaves Russia did it, or damage as they claim..... what's your money on?

Yet more crimes from Russia, and as you point out...this is MAJOR. As Kuleba says this morning...these actions will not stop until Russia are kicked out of Ukraine. Give them the jets.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The BBC have recently introduced a new service - BBC Verify, to validate news as it comes in. I assume it was brought in to handle news items on the war.

No doubt it was done with the best of intentions, but when major news breaks as it has done this morning, its disadvantages become apparent.
I think bought in more generally to counter the rising threat of misinformation, deep fakes and eroding trust in journalism. They will be last to everything now, but eventually the other broadcasters will all be fooled into reporting something false. It's swings and roundabouts

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I read that as well as the obvious risk of flooding to thousands, and the potential risk to the ZNPP, the water supply to Crimea is fed from the Kakhovka reservoir.

So Russia has deliberately compromised the water supply to its beloved Crimea.

It knows its going to lose Crimea. So it wants to make it as uninhabitable as it can for Ukrainians.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
BBC still haven’t caught up. Amazing really
Well, it led the 6am news bulletin of the Today programme. Maybe the BBC isn't as monolithic as you claim. Journalists/broadcasters have different requirements for verification, I think that's a good thing. I'm less concerned about who breaks news first, although have to accept that it's a key criteria for many these days.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I read that as well as the obvious risk of flooding to thousands, and the potential risk to the ZNPP, the water supply to Crimea is fed from the Kakhovka reservoir.

So Russia has deliberately compromised the water supply to its beloved Crimea.

It knows its going to lose Crimea. So it wants to make it as uninhabitable as it can for Ukrainians.
Ukraine should try to blow the Kerch bridge now, no? The Russians need to feel the fear more.
I read on one of the feeds this morning that the flooding would stop Ukraine's attempts to retake Crimea for a year...?? I'm not sure I believe that...some reliable military analysis needed.
Ukraine may still have accessible routes south either through Melitopol or to the east of there. I don't know enough... I'm just guessing.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So the Russian line is now just a Simpsons reference?

IMG_0395.png

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This from the ISW (Institute for the Study of War) strongly suggesting Russia are moving their Black Sea Fleet logistics away from Crimea because of pressures and strikes from Ukraine:
"The Russian Black Sea Fleet is attempting to mitigate complications with logistical support in occupied Crimea by shifting resources to mainland Russia. Ukrainian Southern Operational Command Spokesperson Natalia Humenyuk reported on June 5 that Russian forces are transferring the Black Sea Fleet’s logistics centers from Sevastopol, occupied Crimea, to Novorossiysk, Krasnodar Krai.[21] Humenyuk stated that Russian forces are moving the logistics centers because of widespread logistical and ammunition provision issues in occupied Crimea.[22] Humenyuk noted that Russian amphibious ships are continuing to maneuver in the Black Sea and enter Sevastopol, but that the overall center of gravity of the Black Sea Fleet appears to be shifting towards Novorossiysk.[23] Recent strikes on Russian concentration areas, logistics hubs, and transportation assets in southern Ukraine may be causing increased anxiety over the security of the Black Sea Fleet, and the move to Krasnodar Krai is likely in part reflective of this fact."

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
This from the ISW (Institute for the Study of War) strongly suggesting Russia are moving their Black Sea Fleet logistics away from Crimea because of pressures and strikes from Ukraine:
"The Russian Black Sea Fleet is attempting to mitigate complications with logistical support in occupied Crimea by shifting resources to mainland Russia. Ukrainian Southern Operational Command Spokesperson Natalia Humenyuk reported on June 5 that Russian forces are transferring the Black Sea Fleet’s logistics centers from Sevastopol, occupied Crimea, to Novorossiysk, Krasnodar Krai.[21] Humenyuk stated that Russian forces are moving the logistics centers because of widespread logistical and ammunition provision issues in occupied Crimea.[22] Humenyuk noted that Russian amphibious ships are continuing to maneuver in the Black Sea and enter Sevastopol, but that the overall center of gravity of the Black Sea Fleet appears to be shifting towards Novorossiysk.[23] Recent strikes on Russian concentration areas, logistics hubs, and transportation assets in southern Ukraine may be causing increased anxiety over the security of the Black Sea Fleet, and the move to Krasnodar Krai is likely in part reflective of this fact."
It was worth us sending those Storm Shadows then :)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Nova Kakovka dam (under Russian control) has been blown. Devastating flooding will now occur downstream wiping out loads of settlements and making it almost impossible for Ukraine to cross in the water, bog/mud.

Upstream it's this body of water that is absolutely necessary to cool the Zaporizhia nuclear power plant reactors (also under Russian control).

Its a huge war crime that will devastate southern 🇺🇦 in the coming hours.

It was widely reported months ago, Russua had mined dam, and they've been evacuating people/settlements on left bank for months. Ukraine say Russia did it, Russia deny and say either nothing happened or Ukraine did it.

This will almost completely halt any Ukrainian attempt to get to Crimea or south Kherson/Melitipol for months if not this year.

Edit: Russia now claiming it happened merely due to damage (and not Ukraine) which only leaves Russia did it, or damage as they claim..... what's your money on?

I suppose all we know about the effect on the offensive at this stage is that Ukraine will have known this was very likely to happen and will have factored it in to their planning

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here