Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
i would have thought a good way to scare the 500m people of the EU would be to disable the UK through cyber attacks. This is not me being political, it is how I think we are now more at risk than we were.

And if it is immaterial then why were the Russians under Putin so keen for us to leave the EU?

A better way to scare the 500m people in the EU is to launch a military invasion near its Eastern border. That is happening.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
And why cant we do syber attacks on Russia, we can. And why cant we expose and confiscate all Russian corrupt wealth including Chelsea FC or Putins wallet, we can and we should.

You act is if we're powerless bystanders, we're not, we're a key part of the largest military defence group on the planet. people need to grow a pair

I'm not saying we don't have some military might. And I'm only stating threats our own miltary will be mindful of. Shutting down a few bank accounts is not going to help the people of Ukraine one iota.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
i would have thought a good way to scare the 500m people of the EU would be to disable the UK through cyber attacks. This is not me being political, it is how I think we are now more at risk than we were.

And if it is immaterial then why were the Russians under Putin so keen for us to leave the EU?

Yes our own government has taken actions to actively weaken our security, this is where we are now. 2016 was the year Putin drove a coach and horses through western unity.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
It seems pretty clear that Putin wants Ukraine and probably Moldova to be "another Belarus", he is reversing 2014 "meddling" by the West. I don't think the Nato states are at risk but he wants a clear buffer between Them and Us, not necessarily directly under Russian control or boots.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Despite what may unfold. Right now Ukraine is experiencing a conventional, ballistic invasion from an expected aggressor. An invasion that was predicted and thus far has followed a pattern that has entirely followed those predictions. While absolutely horrific for Ukraine, it is not unprecedented.
We have dealt with it before. And we have overcome it before.
In 2022 we have vastly superior technology than we did in 1939. We have instant communications with our allies and so far, international condemnation of Russia’s actions.
Exactly what Putin will do next is unknown. But we have anticipated his every move thus far.
I have no doubt we will hammer the Russians into the dark ages. I just fear the bloodshed and cost to human life that we will incur in defeating this maniac.

We may have anticipated his every move, but he has still gone through with it.

I anticipate that he will next pick off a vulnerable NATO state. Expect him to start to express concern for Russians living in Estonia and Latvia.
I expect him to encourage and allow Belarus to engage more aggressively with Poland.
I expect him to increase cyber attacks against individual EU countries.
I expect him to offer a deal with Turkey.
I expect China to use this time to invade with Taiwan.
I expect North Korea to be emboldened and to do something silly by provoking South Korea.

All these things will happen because nobody wants a war until it is on a serious doorstep e.g. at Germany's border. Yet again, we'll allow little NATO states to suffer to avoid what would inevitably be the end for us all. It's what will happen.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
What else do you do? As Putin has already inferred, any western interference will be met with a significant, almost certainly nuclear response.

Highly highly unlikely there is any nuclear response to anything. If there is then it's game over for everyone which I'm pretty confident isn't Putins or Chinas objective.

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Putin has gone on record saying that the break up of the Soviet Union was a disaster for Russia. I think this is only the start. He wants those territories back, and he knows the West is going to do f**k all about it. He also has China's backing.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
It seems pretty clear that Putin wants Ukraine and probably Moldova to be "another Belarus", he is reversing 2014 "meddling" by the West. I don't think the Nato states are at risk but he wants a clear buffer between Them and Us, not necessarily directly under Russian control or boots.

How do you get that buffer though when NATO members Latvia and Estonia already border Russia?

Loadicus Trux

Jan 12, 2012
Highly highly unlikely there is any nuclear response to anything. If there is then it's game over for everyone which I'm pretty confident isn't Putins or Chinas objective.

This idiot is capable of anything. He'll happily press the button.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I anticipate that he will next pick off a vulnerable NATO state. Expect him to start to express concern for Russians living in Estonia and Latvia.
I expect him to encourage and allow Belarus to engage more aggressively with Poland.
I expect North Korea to be emboldened and to do something silly by provoking South Korea.

All these things will happen because nobody wants a war until it is on a serious doorstep e.g. at Germany's border. Yet again, we'll allow little NATO states to suffer to avoid what would inevitably be the end for us all. It's what will happen.

All valid points. Hard to argue with. However, I can almost guarantee the minute he starts threatening NATO territories, he will meet retaliation the likes we have never seen. It will be WW3 and no mistake.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

do you have any grounds to support that view? NATO is dead if a single state is not fully defended, and there's an awful lot of defense to bring to bear. lets not over reach and get ahead of ourselves.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putin has gone on record saying that the break up of the Soviet Union was a disaster for Russia. I think this is only the start. He wants those territories back, and he knows the West is going to do f**k all about it. He also has China's backing.
Yes but when he marched his "peacekeepers" into Kazakhstan China told him to sod off from there and they left tails between legs.

He cannot have all the USSR back but Ukraine, Moldova and Georgia may be possible for now.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I'm not saying we don't have some military might. And I'm only stating threats our own miltary will be mindful of. Shutting down a few bank accounts is not going to help the people of Ukraine one iota.

I agree, our first tranche of sanctions were truly pathetic, but right now we need to go all in against Putins Russia and all those who faciliiate and profit from him, everything short of troops

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

All possible, which is why we MUST stand up strong today, this gets worse, much worse if we bottle it now

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I would imagine military thinking will be along the lines of ; Forget Ukraine. It’s gone. It belongs to Russia for now.

They will be manoeuvring ordinance and troops to NATO borders in anticipation of a move against those territories.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I agree, our first tranche of sanctions were truly pathetic, but right now we need to go all in against Putins Russia and all those who faciliiate and profit from him, everything short of troops

We had to give them all sufficient notice to liquidate their assets before further sanctions. Apparently Rees-Mogg sold up £44M of shares in a Russian company 23 days ago - nice bit of insider trading

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I see all of the virologists on here have changed vocation to military leaders.

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
In what sense do you find any of this exciting?

It’s a HUGE news and historical moment in history, we’re all going to be glued to television and radio for a long time yet. Please don’t confuse with or read anything more into it than that i.e. in the same way journalists and correspondents are excited (and I suspect, a lot of military persons are if history / autobiography books are anything to go by. And also not I said terrifying in equal measures, noticed you didn’t question that and yet without doing so you’re kinda manipulating and certainly lost context. Anyway, hope that helps?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

We can’t rule out a military response. As others have said, Russian troops may march straight through to attack NATO members. If not now then at a later date. Severe sanctions may only be a next step.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
All valid points. Hard to argue with. However, I can almost guarantee the minute he starts threatening NATO territories, he will meet retaliation the likes we have never seen. It will be WW3 and no mistake.

Agree, if they attack the Baltic States it will be the 1939 Poland moment.

I'd expect him to halt at Ukraine for now, meddle like f**k to get Trump back in and go again.

What has happened today is huge, history will judge the inaction of 2014 very badly. The West sat back is did nothing....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here