Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
How much longer will the West allow Russia to carry on indiscriminately murdering civilians in response to the ineptitude of its armed forces, its battlefield failures and battlefield reversals before it decides to respond? And how will the West respond?

I think the West will keep doing what it's doing, drip feeding in weapons, air defense, vehicles, financial support, intelligence support for Ukraine...and won't directly engage unless Putin uses nuclear or possibly chemical. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just what I think will happen.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Ukraine has so far avoided any retaliation attacks on Russia (the annexed areas do not count). They would be absolutely justified if they did, but wisely (I think) have refrained so far. However, if this 'revenge' shelling of civilians by the excrescence known as Putin is because (in Putin's delusions) they are attacking 'Russia' (i.e. the annexed territories) perhaps they should destroy a couple of Russian towns or cities, as Putin is 'retaliating' ayway.
It would make Putin even more unpopular in (the real) Russia.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think the West will keep doing what it's doing, drip feeding in weapons, air defense, vehicles, financial support, intelligence support for Ukraine...and won't directly engage unless Putin uses nuclear or possibly chemical. I'm not saying that's right or wrong, just what I think will happen.

This.

Russia is losing the war badly on many fronts. The longer things continue, the worse things are for Putin, not Zelensky.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
This.

Russia is losing the war badly on many fronts. The longer things continue, the worse things are for Putin, not Zelensky.

If Putin decides to literally flatten Kiev and a few other cities, razing them to the ground, that cannot be allowed to continue indefinately, or until there are no buildings or living humans left.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Personally, I think it’s time NATO put aircraft over Ukraine with a no fly zone. Let’s see if Russia has the balls to take them on.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
If Putin decides to literally flatten Kiev and a few other cities, razing them to the ground, that cannot be allowed to continue indefinately, or until there are no buildings or living humans left.

You think China and India would support him wiping Ukraine off the face of the earth? Genuinely?

He’s fully aware that he’s on the tightest of tightropes right now. Can’t show weakness, but can’t overplay his hand.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
And he’s on very thin ice with China with his nuclear threats already.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Ukraine has so far avoided any retaliation attacks on Russia (the annexed areas do not count). They would be absolutely justified if they did, but wisely (I think) have refrained so far. However, if this 'revenge' shelling of civilians by the excrescence known as Putin is because (in Putin's delusions) they are attacking 'Russia' (i.e. the annexed territories) perhaps they should destroy a couple of Russian towns or cities, as Putin is 'retaliating' ayway.
It would make Putin even more unpopular in (the real) Russia.

There have been limited attacks on Belgorod and other towns near the border, not admitted to by Ukraine, and not using NATO equipment .

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
You think China and India would support him wiping Ukraine off the face of the earth? Genuinely?

He’s fully aware that he’s on the tightest of tightropes right now. Can’t show weakness, but can’t overplay his hand.
I don't know. Probably nobody on here does. I did very deliberately start my post with 'if'!

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
There have been limited attacks on Belgorod and other towns near the border, not admitted to by Ukraine, and not using NATO equipment .
Weren't they on munition dumps or army command posts and the like? As opposed to hospitals and childrens' playgrounds?

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I highly doubt Russia has enough munitions to do it.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If you want to think about the geopolitics of it, I think Putin has two very weak spots globally. Belarus and Iran. Both it feels could, without too much of a push, be tipped over into revolution. If they go, Russia loses a key weapons supplier and a launchpad to attack Ukraine.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
If you want to think about the geopolitics of it, I think Putin has two very weak spots globally. Belarus and Iran. Both it feels could, without too much of a push, be tipped over into revolution. If they go, Russia loses a key weapons supplier and a launchpad to attack Ukraine.

IF Ukraine eventually win back stolen Crimea and all other lands, I wonder if that’ll be the catalyst for Belarus to get their country back.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
The thing that gets me about these attacks is the timing. Hitting infrastructure in the middle of the night is one thing, but at 8am? This was designed to cause as much collateral damage as possible. I’d love to see NATO up the anti, I really would.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Concerning reports that a joint deployment of Russian and Belarusian troops are amassing on the Belarus-Ukraine border, possibly with a view to another attempt at a land invasion towards Kyiv
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/10/10/fears-new-invasion-putin-lukashenko-form-joint-task-force-ukraine/
Hmm. Well they couldn't achieve this before when at full strength and couldn't be hit by himars. It will be much harder now. Surely this would be an act of desperation and a waste of very limited resources

Sent from my M2101K9G using Tapatalk

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
Hmm. Well they couldn't achieve this before when at full strength and couldn't be hit by himars. It will be much harder now. Surely this would be an act of desperation and a waste of very limited resources

Hopefully that'll be the case. What the Ukrainians didn't have last time though was half their army chasing fleeing Russians in the South/East

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Concerning reports that a joint deployment of Russian and Belarusian troops are amassing on the Belarus-Ukraine border, possibly with a view to another attempt at a land invasion towards Kyiv
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/10/10/fears-new-invasion-putin-lukashenko-form-joint-task-force-ukraine/

It doesn’t say amassing, instead talking in the future tense after the two dictators had agreed to bring their troops together.

The Telegraph subjectively added “threat looms” and “amid fears” to draw in readers.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley

Any threat on Kyiv, real or otherwise, would be likely to cause a redeployment of Ukrainian forces slowing down their advances in the South.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here