Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I’d taken my eye off that particular theatre of phoney war :lolol:

China keeping their powder dry at present.

If it does all go off in the Ukraine with NATO getting properly involved i.e. boots on the ground and consequently goodbye the Vlad regime, it might make them think again about the wisdom of trying to invade Taiwan? Strange to think only 3-4 years none of this was even thought about...

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
China keeping their powder dry at present.

If it does all go off in the Ukraine with NATO getting properly involved i.e. boots on the ground and consequently goodbye the Vlad regime, it might make them think again about the wisdom of trying to invade Taiwan? Strange to think only 3-4 years none of this was even thought about...

A miserablist when it comes to these things, Matt Frei (C4 and LBC) has spent several years saying that China will take Taiwan within 10 years and the US will bottle it …. by not opposing it militarily. He also thought Putin would face little tangible backlash from the West if he invaded Ukraine. Wrong.

Although China’s regime is evil (the Uyghar’s genocide and systematic rape of all their females), it’s emerged that:
1. Their committee-style top brass moderates irrational waging of war/bring the world down with us as we see with Putin.
2. They may want to screw the West with hacking etc, but it’s because they dream of being the one superpower.
3. They’d be nothing economically if they couldn’t export raw materials and goods to North America, all of Europe and Australia/NZ. They’re pragmatists.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
I'm expecting more thunderous threats of armageddon today from Putin.

Don't get spooked by his sabre rattling.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A miserablist when it comes to these things, Matt Frei (C4 and LBC) has spent several years saying that China will take Taiwan within 10 years and the US will bottle it …. by not opposing it militarily. He also thought Putin would face little tangible backlash from the West if he invaded Ukraine. Wrong.

Although China’s regime is evil (the Uyghar’s genocide and systematic rape of all their females), it’s emerged that:
1. Their committee-style top brass moderates irrational waging of war/bring the world down with us as we see with Putin.
2. They may want to screw the West with hacking etc, but it’s because they dream of being the one superpower.
3. They’d be nothing economically if they couldn’t export raw materials and goods to North America, all of Europe and Australia/NZ. They’re pragmatists.

Point three is major. China makes stuff we want to buy. Not only products from Western countries, but also tech from their own excellent manufacturers. Russia has almost nothing we want and what it does have that we need is raw. The Russians are very backward and it's one reason they are in the mess they are now having over-stretched their hand, they don't make most of the tech they require.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Putin is a dead man walking now.

Just a matter of when.

People have been saying that for months and months.

Hitler was never removed or assassinated by his own people. Putin’s biggest threat is probably cancer or his own health. He has way too much control, caution and power to be whacked or for his power to be ripped from his grasp. He is ultra paranoid. If he feels threatened, it’ll be like the night of long knives in Russia.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
People have been saying that for months and months.

Hitler was never removed or assassinated by his own people. Putin’s biggest threat is probably cancer or his own health. He has way too much control, caution and power to be whacked or for his power to be ripped from his grasp. He is ultra paranoid. If he feels threatened, it’ll be like the night of long knives in Russia.

I think there are a number of differences - Russia's huge over-reliance on China being the key one.

If they decide Putin has become too unreliable and will no longer deal with Russia while he is in charge, he’s gone within 24-48 hours. IMO.

Last edited:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Point three is major. China makes stuff we want to buy. Not only products from Western countries, but also tech from their own excellent manufacturers. Russia has almost nothing we want and what it does have that we need is raw. The Russians are very backward and it's one reason they are in the mess they are now having over-stretched their hand, they don't make most of the tech they require.

Rather reminds me of the Brexiteer argument that Germany would give us the same trade deal as we had with the EU because they needed to export their BMWs to us. That went well….

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
75 missiles fired at Kiev so far, 41 shot down.

According to reports, anyway.

Last edited:

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Belarus supposedly going to join in now.

Time to Get Rid of Lukashenko too.

US fighter jets flying across the Atlantic to RAF Mildenhall.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Belarus supposedly going to join in now.

Time to Get Rid of Lukashenko too.

US fighter jets flying across the Atlantic to RAF Mildenhall.

There could well be an uprising against Lukashenko, plenty of disaffected Belarusians are already in the Ukrainian army and there has been talk of locals blowing railway switching points to sabotage transport of Russian Weapons and equipment from Belarus to Ukraine in the early days of the invasion.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
How much longer will the West allow Russia to carry on indiscriminately murdering civilians in response to the ineptitude of its armed forces, its battlefield failures and battlefield reversals before it decides to respond? And how will the West respond?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here