Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
unlikely Ukraine will be wasting resources with random shelling in the area reported when there are plenty of other viable targets. Russian false flag, watch for a new northern front.

The supply of long range missiles from the West will also cease if true

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
unlikely Ukraine will be wasting resources with random shelling in the area reported when there are plenty of other viable targets. Russian false flag, watch for a new northern front.
The supply of long range missiles from the West will also cease if true
If it's a false flag it could well be the manufactured 'reason' to throw a nuke back.

Let's hope not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I see some BBC reporters are now banned from Russia.

Can't be long now before Rosenberg is kicked out.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putin is piling everything he has into capturing Severodonetsk.

If he does this he can claim victory in pushing Ukraine out of all of Luhansk Oblast.

He can claim to have "liberated" the entire so-called Peoples' Republic of Luhansk.

Interesting that soldiers of the so-called Peoples' Republic of Donetsk are refusing to become cannon fodder outside Donetsk Oblast in Luhansk. Putin loves using the Luhansk and Donetsk soldiers as their casualties don't count in the official Russian death toll.

While this goes on a push by Ukraine to boot Russia out of Kherson Oblast north of Crimea has started. Vlad the Defiler is now so short of tanks he has had to send 50+ year old museum pieces to Kherson. Horse drawn gun carriages next ???

And 21 days later Putin still hasn't captured the rest of Luhansk.

Slow going Vladimir, best fire some more Generals !

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Indeed but IMHO the parallels are not so clear cut. I doubt anyone had even heard of Chechnya or Grozny before that conflict. I consider myself pretty well informed of world affairs but I hadn't. There was also a good chunk of Western goodwill towards Russia with the fairly recent fall of Communism. There is none now with Putins actions in Crimea, Syria and Salisbury amongst others. Despite some news fatigue most Western leaders seem determined to support Ukraine and ensure Russia isn't victorious. Chechnya had no such allies and was landlocked in the Russian Federation. Ukraine borders Europe and NATO. I may be wrong and it is going to be a long slog but I don't see many similarities myself

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Indeed but IMHO the parallels are not so clear cut. I doubt anyone had even heard of Chechnya or Grozny before that conflict. I consider myself pretty well informed of world affairs but I hadn't. There was also a good chunk of Western goodwill towards Russia with the fairly recent fall of Communism. There is none now with Putins actions in Crimea, Syria and Salisbury amongst others. Despite some news fatigue most Western leaders seem determined to support Ukraine and ensure Russia isn't victorious. Chechnya had no such allies and was landlocked in the Russian Federation. Ukraine borders Europe and NATO. I may be wrong and it is going to be a long slog but I don't see many similarities myself

The flattening of cities and the total disregard for civilian lives sounds pretty well identical to me. The final outcome may be different but the methods employed are jaw dropping and I've no doubt the aim remains exactly the same in Putin's sick head and if anything he is ramping the destruction up in his attempts to destroy Ukrainian moral and soldiers.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
The flattening of cities and the total disregard for civilian lives sounds pretty well identical to me. The final outcome may be different but the methods employed are jaw dropping and I've no doubt the aim remains exactly the same in Putin's sick head and if anything he is ramping the destruction up in his attempts to destroy Ukrainian moral and soldiers.
Granted but few people really knew, and fewer cared what was going on in Chechnya. The whole world(assuming they have access to unbiased sources of info) can see what they are doing in Ukraine and as a result, in the free world at least, Russia will be a pariah for decades to come, they are shut off from everything, and hopefully sanctions come to bite properly. There were no consequences for what they did in chechnya, there are here. That's why I hope and believe the outcome will be different.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
OMG, poor people. I dread to think how many civilians have perished. Putin needs to be crushed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here