Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
The Black Sea eh? One third of the size of the Med, was it built never to see the Atlantic?

The Russians would have you believe that the conditions are like Drake’s Passage, but……

“The water level in the Black Sea remains the same all the time because of the absence of any high or low tides. This gives the sea no fluctuation in the water level, keeping it as a calm, quiet and serene sea on the surface.”

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I am amazed with modern technology that there have been no photos of the ship being hit, on fire or sinking? All I see online is library photos of the ship and fakes. Not doubting it but seems odd?

Assuming the boat was at sea. You’d need a photo from another vessel, aircraft or satellite. Where do you think the photos would have come from?

The Russians undoubtedly have plenty but they are Ukrainian propaganda gold so surely will all have been locked down.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
The Russians would have you believe that the conditions are like Drake’s Passage, but……

“The water level in the Black Sea remains the same all the time because of the absence of any high or low tides. This gives the sea no fluctuation in the water level, keeping it as a calm, quiet and serene sea on the surface.”

Unless you have had a couple of dirty great holes punched into you and you are on fire, probably not quite so serene...

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Assuming the boat was at sea. You’d need a photo from another vessel, aircraft or satellite. Where do you think the photos would have come from?

The Russians undoubtedly have plenty but they are Ukrainian propaganda gold so surely will all have been locked down.

I must be assuming too much about technology, but I would have thought that once early reports came in that someone somehow might have tried to have a look.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
True, true...(well, many Russian people are actually decent and just want to live their lives as do Ukrainians)... true, if only their bullying ******* regime didn't have nuclear, chemical and biological weapons.

I mean, given the evidence so far there is a high chance the nukes don’t work and they will end up blowing themselves up if they tried to use them.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I must be assuming too much about technology, but I would have thought that once early reports came in that someone somehow might have tried to have a look.

Another guess from me. I imagine the Americans have all the images but releasing them would give Russia a tactical advantage because they might be able to calculate how the Americans got the images and stop them from getting them again.

Be in no doubt, there would have been champagne corks popping in the White House at the sinking of this ship which would not have been the case under the previous administration.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I mean, given the evidence so far there is a high chance the nukes don’t work and they will end up blowing themselves up if they tried to use them.
That would be reinterpreted by Russia as a sneaky " First Strike " by the West.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
So the hot heads on Russian TV are saying that the response to the warship exploding due to a "fire on board" and sinking due to "the weather" should be that Kyiv is bombed.

Get your propaganda stories straight :facepalm: Either it was the Ukrainians who sunk the ship or it wasn't.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

I think it was too cloudy for satellite photos but there may be drone footage to come - if the drone survived or any live relay was working.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
So the hot heads on Russian TV are saying that the response to the warship exploding due to a "fire on board" and sinking due to "the weather" should be that Kyiv is bombed.

Get your propaganda stories straight :facepalm: Either it was the Ukrainians who sunk the ship or it wasn't.

Indeed. Russia's latest missiles hit the factory in Kyiv which makes anti-ship missiles. Bit of a giveaway that.

On a wider point, why do Russians get so indignant when Ukraine has the temerity to defend itself against Russia? Do they think Russia has a God-given right to invade Ukraine and that Ukraine should just roll over? It's that kind of arrogance that will lose Russia friends, assuming they have any left.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Maybe they didn’t but who can blame them coming out with fake news if they didn’t, if you can’t beat them join them.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Russia is ****ed. If they were going to use nukes, they’d have done it by now. Well done Putin, you’ve ****ed Russia for the next 50 years.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
I think the Russians accepting that it has sunk might trump any photos?

he's got a point though ....in this day and age ..? perhaps the fact that foreign drone technology was used to sink the top Russian ship might stir the hornets nest in regard to the big red button.???

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Indeed. Russia's latest missiles hit the factory in Kyiv which makes anti-ship missiles. Bit of a giveaway that.

On a wider point, why do Russians get so indignant when Ukraine has the temerity to defend itself against Russia? Do they think Russia has a God-given right to invade Ukraine and that Ukraine should just roll over?

Yes.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
he's got a point though ....in this day and age ..? perhaps the fact that foreign drone technology was used to sink the top Russian ship might stir the hornets nest in regard to the big red button.???

I thought the Ukrainians were claiming it was a shore based cruise missile?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here