Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Russia declare they are limiting war aims to the Donbas region in eastern Ukraine.
Ukrainians retake Kherson.
A Russian colonel is killed by his own troops.

'It's all going according to plan' - V. Putin.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Meanwhile............

kate.JPG

Poor love.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1507356285758541824[/tweet]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
“What news of my Special Military Operation today, Comrade Bollockov?”

“Well, good news and bad news Comrade Putin.”

“What’s the good news?”

“After 3 weeks of having their arses handed to them, the 37th Motor Rifles brigade have finally received fresh supplies of vehicle fuel.”

“So what’s the bad news, FFS?”

“They used it to run over Colonel Medvechek.”

[tweet]1507411318000783362[/tweet]

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Russia declare they are limiting war aims to the Donbas region in eastern Ukraine.

Donbas would represent substantial retreat from where they have done reasonably well in the south. and what a senseless waste over Mariupol! though they cant even take that region from current form.

i wouldnt hold much in the Russian Colonel story, its full of "believe", sounds misreported accident. or put it this way if you did that you'd desert too, and that wasnt reported.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds

Is this the beginning of the end for this war? I sincerely hope so.

I can see ‘Ukraine’ being used as a common analogy for overcoming adversity in the face of a seemingly ‘greater’ opponent, for centuries to come. David versus Goliath. The Alamo. Ukraine. Super-human levels of patriotism and resilience on display from those people. Respect.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
This is massive.

Russian brigade commander killed by own troops, Western officials claim
A Russian brigade commander in Ukraine has been killed by his own troops, Western officials have claimed.
Colonel Medvechek, who was commanding the 37th Motor Rifle Brigade, is believed to have been deliberately run over.
An official, who has not been named, said: "The brigade commander was killed by his own troops and killed by his own troops, we believe, as a consequence of the scale of losses that have been taken by his brigade."
"We believe that he was killed by his own troops deliberately. We believe that he was run over by his own troops."
The official added that a lieutenant general commanding the 49th Combined Arms Army has also died in the fighting, making him the seventh Russian general to be killed in combat since the invasion began.

My understanding of this practice by US Troops in the Vietnam War was 'fragging'?

It was usually via a grenade 'accidentally' going off adjacent to an Officer.

Running him over obviously saves a grenade.

All in all not going too well for Vlad the Lad is it?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I can see ‘Ukraine’ being used as a common analogy for overcoming adversity in the face of a seemingly ‘greater’ opponent, for centuries to come. David versus Goliath. The Alamo. Ukraine. Super-human levels of patriotism and resilience on display from those people. Respect.

Sorry to disappoint. Its far from over

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Its the express, a BS rag.

They say Ukraine "retaken" then in article, retaken parts and its contested.

Russian say they still have full control, not that watever the russians say holds any water.

If there is one thing the whole world has learned from this tragedy, it is that you cannot trust a single, solitary word that Russians say or write.

This will come back to haunt Russia and Russians for generations.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
After doing the lord lucan for 12 days, finally news on the missing defence security........

surprise, surprise!

[tweet]1507473089952718851[/tweet]

generals.jpg

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
If there is one thing the whole world has learned from this tragedy, it is that you cannot trust a single, solitary word that Russians say or write.
I though that that was where we were long ago. You realise Putin claims to be democratically elected?

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London
BBC reporting that Russia states this is the end of their first phase. What worries me is what their second phase might look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
After doing the lord lucan for 12 days, finally news on the missing defence security........

surprise, surprise!
Didn't Dmitry Peskov, only yesterday, say that Shoigu was busy dealing with Ukraine, and that now wasn't the time media speculation?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'Russia to conduct drills on disputed islands after Japan-imposed sanctions'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60856533

These are the Kuril Islands to the north of Japan. Russia occupied them after WW2 and never gave them back.
Russia's Eastern Military District says it will conduct military drills on the islands with more than 3,000 troops and hundreds of pieces of army equipment.

I assume this is a message to the west to let us know that they've still got plenty of troops and equipment left.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Did anyone see this on the BBC today?

'Russia to focus war on eastern Ukraine - Russian army chief'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60856533 - at 13:59

'The comments - carried by Russian state news agencies - hinted at a possible downgrading of Russia's war aims.'

Sorry to disappoint. Its far from over
BBC reporting that Russia states this is the end of their first phase. What worries me is what their second phase might look like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Institute for the Study of War is not at all convinced by the latest Russian statement.

https://www.understandingwar.org/backgrounder/russian-offensive-campaign-assessment-march-25

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
My understanding of this practice by US Troops in the Vietnam War was 'fragging'?

It was usually via a grenade 'accidentally' going off adjacent to an Officer.

Running him over obviously saves a grenade.

All in all not going too well for Vlad the Lad is it?
Seems a bit risky to just chuck a grenade, why not just shoot him

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
The Kremlin is trolling Johnson, not content with stirring it up against JK Rowling.

[tweet]1507634534833168385[/tweet]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here