Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I understand better now:
- US/NATO decline offer of Polish jets cos of risk of escalation of war, and cos they don't think it will make a significant difference to the situation
- according to a Reuters report from March 4th, US believe that Ukraine still has vast majority of it's military aircraft intact, and decent viability in its air defense systems.
Surely the jets can just be supplied as 'spare parts' ? Take a wheel off and supply as 2 components. Reassemble as required.

I don't see the problem. Sod Putin's whinging. If he doesn't like it he can simply withdraw his army.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
The point being leaving half of Europe occupied by Stalin wasn’t a victory.
Agreed, but we don't know what a defeat would have looked like.

Of course we don't know what victory or defeat will look like after this war either. As said previously in the thread, freedom isn't free. I think it's worth fighting for though. I don't see much point in life without it. Red pill for me please.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
What I don't get about the Mig jet saga, is how, right now, could Ukraine buy jets on the open market? Clearly Nato aren't going to sell or gift to them? So then, a non-NATO anti Russian country?? And what is the difference between gifting them 1000s of anti-tank weapons, and stingers, versus a couple of jets? They must have an 'allowed' list.
Sorry to say I think Russia will slowly overcome their logistical problems, then the encircling assault from that 40 mile convoy will recommence. Similar could happen in the south around Zaporizhzhia.

Quite hard to smuggle in, how would you get them into Ukraine?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Seems like if you heard the 7 minute warning you'd still be spending that time arguing whether it meant a nuclear war or not zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
I simply said I disagree with you and why (I thought disagreement was allowed) and you're in with the insults. Nice.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Markets have been pricing that for a while.

Rating agencies massively behind the curve compared to real time headlines.

Yes, that makes sense.

What real time headlines are you looking at? Have you got any links?

I'm really into this, albeit from a position of near-zero knowledge!

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Except for in 1945, when there actually was a nuclear war

It’s a valid point. I did think about that but in the end didn’t think it could really be called a nuclear war as the US were the only ones with nukes.
I reckon I would have been pulled up by someone whichever way I went.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Surely the jets can just be supplied as 'spare parts' ? Take a wheel off and supply as 2 components. Reassemble as required.

I don't see the problem. Sod Putin's whinging. If he doesn't like it he can simply withdraw his army.

Yes, you are right. I still don't get it either. I mean I understand the US's reasoning to a degree, but no-one's talking about the option you've described. Surely they can be partly disassembled and taken across the border on trucks (as the anti tank, stinger missiles have been).

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe we should take the discussion of whether the Second World War was a nuclear war somewhere else?

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Quite hard to smuggle in, how would you get them into Ukraine?

I dunno.
Would be better if Austria, say, weren't in NATO, then jets could fly to Ukraine from there. If Russia then threaten Austria (land-locked), NATO can just close it's airspace around them to Russian aircraft.
Sorry, Austria, nothing personal.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Yes, that makes sense.

What real time headlines are you looking at? Have you got any links?

I'm really into this, albeit from a position of near-zero knowledge!

I work in the financial markets so get real time headlines from my Bloomberg screens which I can't share I'm afraid.

The best publicly available stuff is agency feeds from the likes of Reuters and TASS the Russian agency is worth a look too. Bloomberg also has a public site which is pretty useful.

Tbh - beyond the horrible humanitarian stories reported by the mainstream press which are very worthy in drawing our attention to the personal level of the war, I haven't paid much attention to their commentaries on the situation.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Presumably could also go down the classic "money laundering" route. For example (all countries theoretical and not suggesting any are involved in actual money laundering);

Poland sells the jets to Botswana.
Botswana sells the jets to Chile.
Chile sells the jets to Myanmar.
Myanmar sells the jets to Nigeria.
Nigeria sells the jets to New Zealand.
New Zealand sells the jets to Jamaica.
Jamaica sells the jets to Ukraine.

All underwritten on the QT behind the scenes by the US. As long as the planes "disappeared" for a while then it'd be bloody hard for Russia to prove they were the same ones.

schmunk

Centrist Dad
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
True, but being left handed is a sign of the devil.

It is SINISTER.

Putin OUT, Fletch IN.

article-0-1263ABC4000005DC-795_468x547.jpg

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Maybe we should take the discussion of whether the Second World War was a nuclear war somewhere else?

I saw I was quoted, I replied. Hardly a big deal? Anyway, it’s not a debate I’ll be getting into with Triggar. I’ve done that before and it goes on for about twelve hours :lolol:

On topic; I am glad the US has seen sense and is not going to facilitate Migs, in two part, nuclear war starter-kit or in any other form. It was a very dangerous idea from the off.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A molecule of possible good news starting at 11 a.m. UK time??
My wife is on a Ukrainian Facebook feed, and they've announced a humanitarian corridor starting 9a.m. Ukraine time (11a.m. here) for civilians to be allowed to pass into Zaporizhzhia from Energodar (city location of the nuclear power station that was attacked) and from surrounding towns that were almost destroyed by shelling as Russian forces advanced to the power station.
Fingers crossed, prayers, please …those civilians have been without food supplies or medical for days, and no doubt the Russian troops ransacked the food shops on their way (as they have done in the town next to my parents' village.)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Very well said.

A thread titled " I want to prove I know tonnes about the second world war" would keep those who want to show off that they've been paying attention to the masses and masses of history channel that they watch.

Another thread entitled "what's the precise definition of nuclear war" would allow people who are interested to really drill into the minutiae of whether it could be called one if only one side has them.

I suppose it could also have the added advantage of allowing those who want to catch up on the current crisis in Ukraine the ability to do so without wading through pages of completely irrelevant disagreements.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here