Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Look at this thread and especially enjoy content from people with knowledge of Ukraine. So many on here seem to think Ukraine should keep fighting and not give anything. To those people do you think Ukraine has capability to hold on that will result in Russia giving up and withdrawing.

I'm no expert but we do have a number of relations and friends there, some of them in at risk places.
The Russians have stalled on a couple of fronts: north of Kyiv and south of Zaporizhzhia: rumours are they are waiting for supplies of more diesel, more food, more firepower.
One thing I don't understand is the lack so far of gifting fighter jets to Ukraine from Poland - maybe they are giving them paint jobs, maybe the Ukrainian pilots are training in them, maybe NATO has vetoed it??who knows, unless I've missed some news. Ukraine also asked for air defense systems to be gifted to Ukraine, again I don't hear any news about that. Maybe NATO are concerned that gifting fighter jets will be deemed aggressive hardware...but surely blowing up a 40 mile convoy sitting north of one's capital city is simply defensive?
Perhaps Poland could leave NATO for just a week so that they could gift the jets.
The Russian military is clearly not all it's cracked up to be, but they have lots of missiles etc that purely require a push of a button once someone identifies the target - they are pulverising cities with this, but may not ever win a ground war.
I'm aware I'm not really answering your question...but if that convoy could be destroyed then the Russian military might really lose their initiative.
Negotiations?: possibly Ukraine won't agree to anything and will just keep resisting - if they do I'd understand that. However, I could see the possibility of officially ceding Crimea to Russia (controversial) - I know it's wrong, but most people there have already been given Russian passports, and Ukraine could never win it back in the short term. Similar for Donbass maybe??(very controversial). Could cede those areas in return for a multibillion payment from Russia for the damage they've caused...and there the negotiations will stop, because Putin wants to destroy Ukraine economically if he can't have it.
Aahh yes, and Putin wants Ukraine to remain neutral - I'm not enough of a deep thinking diplomat to get my head around that.
My thinking is probably muddied by our emotions chez family Raymondo...

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I would rather they were challenged for honestly held, if flawed, opinions. The first few times anyway. I have not seen anyone post pure propaganda.

Posts 4487 and 4490 later in the thread are Russian/Putin propaganda. These posters have made other similar remarks on the thread. Rather distasteful. The Putin line on NATO is also quite popular on here. It’s a fine line. I see this thread as being about the illegal invasion of Ukraine. Others have at various times used it as a platform for other agendas and for that reason it has become less interesting and useful.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Posts 4487 and 4490 later in the thread are Russian/Putin propaganda. These posters have made other similar remarks on the thread. Rather distasteful. The Putin line on NATO is also quite popular on here. It’s a fine line. I see this thread as being about the illegal invasion of Ukraine. Others have at various times used it as a platform for other agendas and for that reason it has become less interesting and useful.

I also noticed that the two posters both joined the forum in September 2021. Just an observation.

Edit: and both pushed the same Moscow-based twitter account.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Very impressive speech to the commons by the Ukrainian President. Only sullied by the Home Secretary smirking through out. What was the joke?

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
Very impressive speech to the commons by the Ukrainian President. Only sullied by the Home Secretary smirking through out. What was the joke?

She was probably thinking of all the poor Ukranian refugees she can exclude from the UK. She absolutely LOVES being as hateful as possible to those who have the least.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I also noticed that the two posters both joined the forum in September 2021. Just an observation.

Edit: and both pushed the same Moscow-based twitter account.

I hope that the two posters who are both pro Russian despite the idiotic denials and both have stupid names are noted by all other posters.

Just as a reminder, both " Dibdab" and " Heres Wally " both signed up to this forum in September 2021.

I do hope posters continue to "bump" this post just in case other decent posters hadn't noticed.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I am glad we are sticking with not establishing a no-fly zone. I have wondered lately if some of the younger posters on here truly comprehend the effects of a nuclear war. I understand why Zelenskiey is asking for the no-fly zone but I think he needs to accept it’s not going to happen. And if we did what he’s asking, we put the entire planet at risk. It’s extremely harsh but it’s time to accept that now.

Last edited:

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I am glad we are sticking with not establishing a no-fly zone. I have wondered lately if some of the younger posters on here truly comprehend the effects of a nuclear war. I understand why Zelenskiey is asking for the no-fly zone but I think he needs to accept it’s not going to happen. And if we did what he’s asking, we put the entire planet at risk. It’s extremely harsh but it’s time to accept that now.
I went to Hiroshima a few years ago and went to the memorial museum, as you have to. The sheer scale of brutality and inhumanity was just incomprehensible. Even if a single nuclear weapon is fired and no more, it will be an absolute disaster.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

I’ve found some of the news presenters seemingly pushing for it as well.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’ve found some of the news presenters seemingly pushing for it as well.

People are getting a bit swept up in the social media whirlwind. Awareness is great but this is not the ice bucket challenge. Thankfully, as empowered as SM makes people feel, the decisions lie with experienced military professionals. There will not be a no-fly zone.

Controversially, I don’t agree with Zalenskiy’s address being broadcast. We don’t need “people power” right now. Save that for getting McDonalds to stop trading in Russia and getting the government to do the right thing.

We need rational requests and decisions on military action being made in war rooms by professionals. Unfortunately, rational decisions are not always made by politicians. Especially ones with almost zero experience and especially when bombs are raining down on them.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I went to Hiroshima a few years ago and went to the memorial museum, as you have to. The sheer scale of brutality and inhumanity was just incomprehensible. Even if a single nuclear weapon is fired and no more, it will be an absolute disaster.

The Japanese film Black Rain (not the Michael Douglas 80’s cop film) made me realise how awful that episode was.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here