Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I thought the same but surely the young can enlighten their parents?

Saw a story on a Russian girl living in one of the Ukrainian cities being shelled, calling and informing her mother in Moscow, who won't believe her own daughter.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Zelensky was calling for reparations, paid for by Russia. Seems entirely reasonable to me. But I would go further. I would seek to:

1) Put Ukraine back in the position it was before the invasion began.
2) Compensate all other nations. Why should other nations foot the cost of commodity inflation in oil, gas, wheat, aluminium etc etc, because of Putin's reckless actions?

All, absolutely all of it, paid for by Russia from current reserves, and future earnings. For generations if necessary.

That's how WWII started

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
That's how WWII started

Yup, I agree that reparations should be made, but not so punitively that they force us straight into another conflict.

Setting them as a percentage (say 2%) of GDP should prevent them becoming overly onerous, then the payments can never become overwhelming if Russia’s financial situation were to deteriorate for other reasons.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
I did read somwwhere that this is Russia's Plan A ( see Chechyna and Syria previously) rather than having troops enter a city first.

Its so ****ish. Its going to take so long to make those places habitable again. Mind you, the whole thing is ****ish, so why should that be different?

The thought of a nucular bomb being used is putting the willies right up me.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Yup, I agree that reparations should be made, but not so punitively that they force us straight into another conflict.

Setting them as a percentage (say 2%) of GDP should prevent them becoming overly onerous, then the payments can never become overwhelming if Russia’s financial situation were to deteriorate for other reasons.

That sounds a reasonable compromise.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Apols if fixtures but I thought he talked a fair bit of sense….just my opinion.

https://youtu.be/8DXwlqoSF70

It is a brutal truth but Ukraine is fighting to have something left and force Russia to accept the minimum possible as a victory. WWI went on 6 months or so longer than it needed to with the fighting simply about the hand you had at the surrender table. The Allies mistake was having too strong a hand that ultimately led to Hitler getting support. WWII defeated Hitler but left Europe with Stalin, an equal dictator. History books will tell us there were victors in both world wars but the reality isn’t so clear. This isn’t about defeating Putin, it’s about having enough that he takes a small victory, it looks good enough for them, but in reality he’s severely weakened. A positive is that Putin does have an effective propaganda machine that could turn a bit of a disaster into a victory - he’s not there yet though, and we have to witness these horrifying scenes while he plays this out. Shocking.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'Ukraine can absolutely win against Russia - Blinken'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60626921

Powerful, inspirational stuff.

Here's the alternative view.

That article sounds like the US has decided to leave Ukraine to its fate, in the hope that Russia will get bogged down and lose its own war.

Russia continues to hemorrhage cash, spends a fortune it can no longer afford, continues to lose friends and influence around the world, incurring colossal reputational damage, crippling its economy
and ability to invade anyone else. Result: Russia is contained for a generation, until long after Putin dies. What a result for Washington.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1500025981901357056[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
'Ukraine can absolutely win against Russia - Blinken'.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-60626921

Powerful, inspirational stuff.

Here's the alternative view.

That article sounds like the US has decided to leave Ukraine to its fate, in the hope that Russia will get bogged down and lose its own war.

Russia continues to hemorrhage cash, spends a fortune it can no longer afford, continues to lose friends and influence around the world, incurring colossal reputational damage, crippling its economy
and ability to invade anyone else. Result: Russia is contained for a generation, until long after Putin dies. What a result for Washington.

That would be unprecedented.

Oh, hang on....1939-1944

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Temporary ceasefire announced in the cities of Mariupol and Volnovakha, to enable civilians to leave. A rare display of empathy from the Russians, or simply a move so they can say “it’s not our fault people died” when they resume hostilities and obliterate the entire area.

Sadly, I know where I’d put my money.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here