Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
£2291. Thats how much weve raised so far with the help of our very generous friends, customers and fellow BHA fans. Oksana and I are very humbled by your generosity and kind words. Spent today loading things on to pallets (and emptying Asda of Duvets) ready to be driven to Poland on Monday. 1000s of nappies, Baby milk, Baby wipes, Baby Powder, Shampoo and Bath. Shampoo, Handwash, shower gel, Sanitary towels, bandages, First Aid kits, Toilet rolls and Duvets. Still have some of the money left and will keep on collecting and will see what they say is the most urgent requirement and start to get things ready for the next shipment. Couldnt have done it without you. Today is the most pessimistic I have felt about the whole invasion. The first city captured. Much more aid will be needed in the near future.
View attachment 145700View attachment 145701View attachment 145702

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/helpforukraine2?utm_term=3MmvwpEY5

Excellent, well done!

Have you spoken to Asda and the like re donations? Tesco support local charities and whilst I have not heard anything from them re local collections for Ukraine, it may well be worth asking.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
People should take note of the now hundreds of reports of both Ukrainian and Polish border guards battering people of colour out off the queues of refugees attempting to escape Ukraine - physically battering them with clubs and iron bars - men, women and children. Not surprising given the known role of fascist elements within the Ukrainian military and the racist anti-immigrant policies of the Polish government.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Personally, and I realise this probably goes against the grain, but I'm not in favour of banning such channels.

RT News is clear propaganda from Russia, obviously, but then I don't pretend that other channels exist in a cultural vacuum either. I'd rather hear all sides and make up my own mind.

Generally I like to hear all views, but flat earthers and RT I can live without.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
So you are happy to condemn the actions of the Russian army in Ukraine - but not the atrocities committed by the British Army - fair enough - says it all really.

He said nothing of the sort, just told you to **** off, that's all. I think you're reading too much in to what just might be a common sentiment.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
£2291. Thats how much weve raised so far with the help of our very generous friends, customers and fellow BHA fans. Oksana and I are very humbled by your generosity and kind words. Spent today loading things on to pallets (and emptying Asda of Duvets) ready to be driven to Poland on Monday. 1000s of nappies, Baby milk, Baby wipes, Baby Powder, Shampoo and Bath. Shampoo, Handwash, shower gel, Sanitary towels, bandages, First Aid kits, Toilet rolls and Duvets. Still have some of the money left and will keep on collecting and will see what they say is the most urgent requirement and start to get things ready for the next shipment. Couldnt have done it without you. Today is the most pessimistic I have felt about the whole invasion. The first city captured. Much more aid will be needed in the near future.

https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/helpforukraine2?utm_term=3MmvwpEY5

If its any consolation I spent the whole of yesterday helping in our local town hall where we were sorting stuff that was being donated by the locals. The flow of individuals was constant bringing everything from second hand clothes and blankets etc to brand new items people had purchased to bring along.

There were also lots of food stuffs, baby milks toothbrushes etc. We boxed up everything
and four large van loads were dispatched to a nearby hub which was collating everything from the local communities for onward transmission to Southampton. This was then to be further moved into articulated vehicles for onward dispatch to the Ukraine/Polish border.

This went on for 3 days in our small town alone. Assuming the rest of the country and others are following a similar process then hopefully this will go some way to helping the war effort for the people at the sharp end. I have to say I was quite up lifted by the enormous response from the public in what was a relentless procession of people bringing goods.

Depending on how things progress it is likely this will happen again in the near future and as long as it is required by those in need

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
People should take note of the now hundreds of reports of both Ukrainian and Polish border guards battering people of colour out off the queues of refugees attempting to escape Ukraine - physically battering them with clubs and iron bars - men, women and children. Not surprising given the known role of fascist elements within the Ukrainian military and the racist anti-immigrant policies of the Polish government.

Mods, any chance we can ban this guy? At least from this thread?

Yeah I’m a Nazi too :rolleyes:

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Where has Dorries claimed that the UK Government took RT off the air?

She has not directly as far as I can tell, but a tweet I saw made it seem like it was an act of UK, and she phrased it like this in the HoC.

"As part of a concerted effort and discussions, Russia Today is no longer streamed into British homes, either by TV, Sky, Freesat or Freeview," she told the House of Commons on Thursday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60584092

Not overtly claiming it, but makes it seem as though she was involved in the "concerted effort and discussions" maybe she was, but I suspect she would have claimed it more forcefully if she had.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
She has not directly as far as I can tell, but a tweet I saw made it seem like it was an act of UK, and she phrased it like this in the HoC.

"As part of a concerted effort and discussions, Russia Today is no longer streamed into British homes, either by TV, Sky, Freesat or Freeview," she told the House of Commons on Thursday.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-60584092

Not overtly claiming it, but makes it seem as though she was involved in the "concerted effort and discussions" maybe she was, but I suspect she would have claimed it more forcefully if she had.

Either way, surely it plays into Russian hands in the sense that they can say that the west is censoring the ‘truth’. Who in the UK was watching it anyway?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Mods, any chance we can ban this guy? At least from this thread?

Yeah I’m a Nazi too :rolleyes:

Where did I can anyone a racist or a nazi?

I have repeatedly condemned the actions of Putin and his regime - I am just calling out the hypocrisy of NATO and the EU.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
May I ask how expensive it is to get this to Poland, where it's needed? I was shocked to see a van being loaded in Leeds, which they said would cost £2k to get to the refugees. They went on to say it was better for people to donate money, rather than items, which could be spent locally, rather than driven such a long way.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
So you are happy to condemn the actions of the Russian army in Ukraine - but not the atrocities committed by the British Army - fair enough - says it all really.

I am happy to condemn any atrocities of the British Army, but not on this thread.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;10193454 said:
I was pondering exactly the same thing just a couple of evenings ago. But aren't McDonalds franchises owned by private individuals? The conclusion to my ponder was that even if McDonalds wanted to close their Moscow restaurants the franchise owners could probably continue to operate if they could mitigate any supply chain issues that came up with going rogue (ingredients etc.)

There is a precedent for that - Fanta was created by the German branch of Coca Cola in 1940 when the US trade embargo at the time cut off supplies of cola syrup. Coca Cola regained control of their German branch after the war and with it the new product which they later reinvented to what we know today.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Well I for one am sorry that not everyone conforms to your cosy blue-rinse Tory way of viewing things.

I am a long way from been a cosy Tory but but so boring hearing from so many that just want to criticise government in such a difficult situation

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Where did I can anyone a racist or a nazi?

I have repeatedly condemned the actions of Putin and his regime - I am just calling out the hypocrisy of NATO and the EU.
Yeah when you're bored of whinging about the British military, you're talking as if Ukrainian racism is the big problem here.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I am a long way from been a cosy Tory but but so boring hearing from so many that just want to criticise government in such a difficult situation
You say that but they aren't doing the right thing by coming down hard on Russian oligarchs out of pure self interest. It's pretty disgusting.

That's the only thing I've criticised them for on this thread and I don't see why it shouldn't be highlighted.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
On Sky; Putin is saying that Ukrainians and Russians are ‘one people.’ He is using the same ‘brainwashing’ argument that many on here use when someone disagrees with them. In this case apparently Ukrainians are brainwashed.
I'm still struggling to comprehend how Putin has described the Jewish President of Ukraine as a " Nazi drug addict " ..oh and actually seems to believe this !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here