Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Please don't think I was having a go, as I don't think for one minute it was linked in malice.

They are turning up everywhere, and even Facebook doesn't seem to care.

I don’t…..thanks for the reminder. Lots on Twitter with 000s of retweets too

Seen another thread that has a (claimed) picture of some Ukranian soldiers in a gym with one of the guys taking a selfie and posting it on SM. Apparently an infiltrator saw the pic and recognised the gym - a rocket hit it killing 14 of them 30 mins later.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Interesting discussion on the 'stalled' 40 mile convoy of military vehicles north of Kiyv on Newsnight.

Of course, nobody knows for sure why is has been parked up for a few days now, but the schools of thought tend to centre around one of the following:

1. Fuel shortages / mechanical breakdowns
2. Dissent in the ranks as awareness grows amongst the troops what they are being commanded to do
3. A deliberate tactic / show of strength with the intention of applying pressure to the Ukrainian government

Would love to believe that it is a combination of 1 and 2. It's certainly seems to be true that up until this time last week most soldiers thought they were on a training exercise and had no idea that they were going to be committed into combat.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Please don't think I was having a go, as I don't think for one minute it was linked in malice.

They are turning up everywhere, and even Facebook doesn't seem to care.

On the face of it, it seemed pretty innocuous (just a soldier being given some food and a hot drink, which he devoured). However, he was being filmed by several people, which I was a bit uneasy about. The power - and the danger - of social media.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Last edited:

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I am basically really angry now.

The Ukraine told the UN & NATO what the Russians were going to do, and they knew it, they sat idly by and watched the Russians annex the Crimea and imposed punitive sanctions and deterrents. The world watched as the Russians again built up forces on the Ukrainian border, we all knew what was going to happen…..

What did we do, nothing we sat and watched, and are only now deploring this Russian aggression…

We are imposing sanctions, bank restrictions that will only affect the normal everyday Russian, the very folk we need to change.
The rich and powerful have squirrelled away vast fortunes and they have planned for these sanctions all along amassing a fortune in gold reserves.
We are indeed sending weapons, but won’t impose a no fly zone, as Putin has himself and again today threatened the world with WW3 and nuclear annihilation.
He has the west over a feckin barrel and we are too weak to do anything, we will sit and watch, with less and less interest as the Russians conquer city after city, they will eventually instal a puppet leader, and we will hope Putin keeps to his word and stops at the Ukraine…..

Will he ? Will he feck….

We missed a trick, we dropped the ball, we didn’t listen, we voted for weak and or compromised leaders, like Trump, Biden, Boris,Macron etc.
We are to blame to a certain extent for the coming bloodshed and mass murder about to be committed as the Russians inevitably will turn the screw….

If and when this is resolved, be prepared for the Ukrainians to say, why did not you not listen to us, why did you not help us more.

I am so mad, utterly ashamed of past and present leaders and sad to the point of you know what Russia, press the feckin buttons, if this is the future and the way super powers impose their will on peaceful countries then I don’t think humanity is worth saving….

sorry Ukraine

Know where you’re coming from. Don’t feel ashamed of anything though, you didn’t create or allow to happen. Sadly democracies versus dictatorships will always be easier for the latter. See my early posts quoting Garry K. He’s bang on the money and said all this 7-8 years ago. Decisive decision making and true leadership aren’t rewarded by the nature of democracy. Delay and decadence are more in tune with and always will be. Imagine every household having to pay £100 more a year for us to hit our NATO commitments. People would be up in arms (pun intended), yet it’s suddenly looking extraordinarily good value. Just ask Germany! But by time we are suddenly interested in paying more for our security (and is there anything else more important, really?) it’s too late. That’s the human condition. Always repeating mistakes because we never learn. Every generation has to learn for itself. Because every generation thinks they know best and money trumps everything including freedom.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Tell Sky the BBC and ITV

I've seen the video. The patch in that area seems to cover Odessa and surrounds, which is very close to the Moldovan border.

The scale is a bit like someone putting a large patch over Brighton to show East Sussex and then people claiming that it has covered Portslade and therefore includes West Sussex.

I'll treat this as miss-information unless other stuff comes to light.

EDIT: I've watched it again and done the geographical map. The sticker barely touches Moldova. There is no evidence of plans to invade Moldova in the public domain.

Last edited:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Also, feel reasonably confident Putins plan is to try and reinstall the deposed dictator from Maidan Viktor Yanukovich.

I thought a few weeks ago, Putin may try this and claim he was restoring Ukraine's rightful president removed in a coup, Mrs laughed at me, but tonight I saw it mentioned on a Russian speaking site speculating that is Putin's plan.

And just flown back into Ukraine the day before the missiles started on 23rd, Rinat Ahmetov, Ukraine's richest oligarch, owner of Shakthur Donetsk and the man behind and who put Yanukovych in power, plus Viktor Pinchuk, another pro Russian Yanukovich supporting Oligarch.

I don't think it's coincidence. The deposed former president who was extracted to Russia after the popular uprising will be Putin's puppet again, and Putin will claim he's restoring a rightful leader.

Looks like I predicted right.(might need translate as Ukrainian site)

https://www.pravda.com.ua/news/2022/03/2/7327485/

Even before the invasion, I felt sure his puppet would be to try and re-insert Yanukovych. It was just so obvious on many levels.

Putin always claimed (and maybe believed) it was a coup rather than the popular uprising it was.

He's never stopped talking about the coup and facist "Junta" in Kyiv.

He hates colour revolutions and people trying to overthrow oppressive police state dictator.

And most important, as well as his east west obsession, Russia NATO, he's also obsessed with authoritarianism Vs democracy. Lawless Vs rules based, and Putin is a key arbiter of many scumbag dictators like Assad and Maduro, to reinstall his former puppet, he'll try and claim Yanukovich was the elected leader, he'll try and demoralise any civic freedom/democracy movements, and try to reinforce that he is the strongman dictator if you want protection and any popular uprising will be reversed.

Talk about not reading the room, it will make the Ukrainians fight twice as hard. It's not only conscripts being sent to their death

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Russian Millionaire CEO Offers $1 Million For Putin's Arrest

Finance and construction mogul Alex Konanykhin said he would pay $1 million to any officer or officers who successfully arrest Putin following his invasion of Ukraine.

Its actually a dead or alive reward. Bullet in the head too.

In other News Putin and his generals referred to international criminal court in Hague by 38 countries. The highest ever

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Sorry - wasn't meant like that.

I'd been thinking the same thing myself earlier today - aside from gas and oil - which are quite notable, I appreciate - do we get much from Russia?

Caviar? Also logistically, it provides our only rail access to the Asian market, while not necessarily hugely important right now, will certainly be important in a sustainable future (I hope my old logistics university lecturer sees this post and marks me up to a first).

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've seen the video. The patch in that area seems to cover Odessa and surrounds, which is very close to the Moldovan border.

The scale is a bit like someone putting a large patch over Brighton to show East Sussex and then people claiming that it has covered Portslade and therefore includes West Sussex.

EDIT: I've watched it again and done the geographical map. The sticker barely touches Moldova. There is no evidence of plans to invade Moldova in the public domain.

But it didn't come from a dodgy source, was widely reported (and commented on) and the poster shouldn't have felt the need to retract their post.

Right or wrong, yesterday it was effectively news.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker

On NewsNight tonight studio guests were invited to speculate on Putin’s mental health and motives. Other guests were invited to speculate on the potential next stages of the conflict and why the armoured convoy has stalled. In the programme that followed, journalists speculated on how the West has gathered intelligence on invasion plans (human sources or cyber techniques), what the thinking is in China, how is North Korea likely to react and would Putin use nuclear arms and what is the process for authorisation.

In short, everything is speculation at present and trying to form educated opinions and judgements on potential next moves or escalations. Personally I don’t see the issue with people speculating what could happen next. It is a perfectly normal human reaction in times of great uncertainty and I see even less point in trying to shut it down.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
But it didn't come from a dodgy source, was widely reported (and commented on) and the poster shouldn't have felt the need to retract their post.

Right or wrong, yesterday it was effectively news.

I think you are confusing the post. This one hasn't been deleted and I didn't call for it to be. That was the POW video.

The video you refer to has been widely reported in the media. Some suggesting that Russia has been planning on invading Moldova.

I have viewed the video and looked at the stills.

Whether Sky suggest it, the BBC suggest it, or anyone suggests it, there is no evidence that this is the case. As I said, the sticker covers Odessa region and barely enters Moldova.

We all have opinions, and mine is worth no more than yours. But my view is that this is intended click baiting propaganda. Something which we are also subjected to in our news. The only difference being ours is more democratic and open to question. You obviously cannot debate such things so openly in Moscow.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Putin is a master at blocking information getting to his people.

But there is no way he'll be able to stop images of an Aleppo-ed Kharkiv or Kyiv reaching Russia. And then what ?

Aleppo and Grozny were cities the people could tolerate ( same in the West ) but what happens when it is the cities of fellow Slavs ?

He can't hide it.

The Ukrainians know they have to die in their millions to win. And they are prepared.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
On NewsNight tonight studio guests were invited to speculate on Putin’s mental health and motives. Other guests were invited to speculate on the potential next stages of the conflict and why the armoured convoy has stalled. In the programme that followed, journalists speculated on how the West has gathered intelligence on invasion plans (human sources or cyber techniques), what the thinking is in China, how is North Korea likely to react and would Putin use nuclear arms and what is the process for authorisation.

did anyone pose the idea its simply the worlds longest traffic jam, or is that too dull?

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
We've only sanctioned 8 people so far.
What an absolute farce.
We are embarrassing, pathetic.

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Thanks [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] and NSC. Amazing response to our appeal and lots of BHA fans and forum members donating. Very humbling. Total stands at £1765.

My wife has a Telegram group with family and friends in Ukraine and Russia. They communicate every morning and evening. Check that they are all ok and share their stories.
For the last 3 nights there have been attempted amphibious landings in Odessa but none thankfully have been successful. The ships now seem to have gone but they dont know where to.
There is definitely a change in attitude amongst some of the Pro Russian Ukrainians. They are starting to question what is going on, but it is difficult for them to admit the truth after the years of propoganda.
A friend from Moscow was complaining that she can no longer buy anything online as her cards arent accepted and there are queues at banks to access their money. Not sure if they blame Putin or the West for that one though.

That's brilliant news. Our family in Zaporozhye tell us that anti tank barricades are being erected on access roads from the south.
My wife, Lyudmyla (Lucy), is cooking pancakes (her mum's Ukrainian recipe) for people in our village this Saturday, in return for donations. We set up a just giving page to help targeted families in our family's area who are struggling to afford food or medicines. Our village donated £1000 in just 6 hours - amazing.
Could I PM you with a question sometime? I'd like some advice from you. Thanks 👍

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here