Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
If Putin believes external forces are getting involved in wiping out his troops then he will soon start his own bombing/nukes.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

These are Ukrainian drones supplied by Turkey in last year.

Perfectly legitimate for Ukraine to use their own drones

Last night in Kherson

[tweet]1497856040544526338[/tweet]

Last edited:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I wonder what the protocols are in Russia in launching a nuclear weapon. Putin says yes, and that's it?

portlock seagull

Jul 28, 2003
I wonder what the protocols are in Russia in launching a nuclear weapon. Putin says yes, and that's it?

I would rather be shot for insubordination than be responsible for starting a nuclear war. Somethings are bigger than all of us. Boy is there some evil afoot in this world. Please Russians, shoot your ******* and leave Ukraine.

virtual22

Nov 30, 2010
There's a news report on BBC where Russian bank's are effectively saying to the public that there is no need to panic and withdraw your money from the Russian banking system. Now there are 'City' people on this board could such an action see Russia,s banking system collapse and should that happen could we be looking at an internal power shift?

Good article here which explains a lot of what is coming financially for Russia in the coming days, and yes, it's going to hurt a lot by the looks of things - people going out buying goods before their currency halves in value!

https://www.politico.eu/article/west-targets-russias-defenses-against-ruble-crash-bank-run/

"The shock on Monday morning will be so large that “some sort of closing of banks" is likely, Korhonen said, adding that restrictions on withdrawals to protect the banking sector's stability will follow."

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Mainstream media illuminati shape shifting pizza munching deep state press agency Reuters reporting tonight that the Swiss are on the brink of freezing Russian assets.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europ...l-freeze-russian-assets-president-2022-02-27/

Cassis (Swiss President) said that Switzerland's neutrality must be preserved and it stood ready to offer its good offices for diplomacy if talks between Ukrainian and Russian officials on the Belarusian border do not succeed, for example by reaching an armistice.

"That does not prevent us from calling a spade a spade," he said.

Blimey.

Here'sWally

Sep 27, 2021
Whether we see boots on the ground or not, our country is now at war with Russia. To supply arms, war machinery, and even to suggest, and by default encourage, mercenaries to make their way to the Ukraine (Liz Truss earlier) is evidence enough. This is why Putin has spoken of placing his 'deterrent' (nuclear arsenal) on alert. I don't believe he would ever use it. But what I do believe is that instead of firing up the rhetoric, for the sake of peace on this continent, someone needs to make the first move to conciliation before things are too far gone.

The Ukrainians are exercising their right to defend their nation, everyone else has a duty to stop this war from continuing and escalating.

This is right. You send guns and bombs to Ukraine with the knowledge and the intention that they will be used to kill Russian soldiers, and you've joined the war. I don't think this is a good thing personally, and I don't hear much language, from what are supposed to be non-parties, encouraging peace.

I do think Putin could be surprised by the reaction from the West, but I actually think that is because he thought the West would have more sense. Maybe the short term result will be to deter Putin from continuing with this war, but I doubt it. What I don't doubt is that Putin will probably now feel that war between Russia and NATO is inevitable at some point in the future, the old rules and the old equilibrium might be out of the window, and I'm not sure that is a positive development for anyone.

We should be trying to broker peace. What we are doing is far from that unfortunately.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
This is right. You send guns and bombs to Ukraine with the knowledge and the intention that they will be used to kill Russian soldiers, and you've joined the war. I don't think this is a good thing personally, and I don't hear much language, from what are supposed to be non-parties, encouraging peace.

I do think Putin could be surprised by the reaction from the West, but I actually think that is because he thought the West would have more sense. Maybe the short term result will be to deter Putin from continuing with this war, but I doubt it. What I don't doubt is that Putin will probably now feel that war between Russia and NATO is inevitable at some point in the future, the old rules and the old equilibrium might be out of the window, and I'm not sure that is a positive development for anyone.

We should be trying to broker peace. What we are doing is far from that unfortunately.

Great, because appeasement worked in 1939. Putin has already annexed Crimea. If he got away with doing the same to Ukraine then who next? Baltic states, Poland, Hungary etc etc.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

My concern is that, in crude footballing terms, Putin has only sent his reserve team in thus far. The Russians have some very nasty weapons in their arsenal. This could escalate in to something we have never witnessed before. Actually, I've just realised those were his own words too.

Great, because appeasement worked in 1939. Putin has already annexed Crimea. If he got away with doing the same to Ukraine then who next? Baltic states, Poland, Hungary etc etc.

I expected a 1939 reference. And it endorses my fear of dangerous rhetoric entering the mainstream.

This is 2022. The ramifications are far more dangerous in the short term. And this situation is not so far gone.

I would love to see Putin defeated and withdraw back to Russia. The Ukrainians deserve utmost respect and admiration for the way in which they are standing up to his onslaught. But I am fearful that this is going to get worse for them.

My first thought here is how do we stop the bloodshed, children becoming orphans, damage that will take generations to heal. Then I think of the politics of the situation.

Finland has managed to remain neutral in NATO terms all this time, is west leaning, and has been an EU member since 1995. Folk can rattle the drums of war from behind their keyboards all they like, but they don't have their heads in tiger's mouth. There is still time to work things through, and in such a way that understands the internal complexities within Ukraine as many here don't.

You call it appeasement, I call it trying to save the region from a bloody and protracted battle that draws more and more innocent folk in. It is incumbent on any authorities that care about the lives of others to at least try to put a pause to the situation and work things through. Some may say this is not possible, but the alternative demands the effort.

Last edited:

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
[tweet]1498087669355659266[/tweet]

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
During his evening programme tonight, Russian state TV presenter Dmitry Kiselyov delivered a monologue in which he posed the question: "why do we need a world if Russia's not in it?"

He was considering President Putin’s announcement today that he is putting Russia’s nuclear forces on high alert.

"In total our submarines are capable of launching over 500 nuclear warheads, which guarantees the destruction of the US and all Nato countries to boot," he said on his Vesti Nedeli show.

"That's according to the principle 'why do we need a world if Russia's not in it?'

"Russia's nuclear weapons are also delivered by the fastest strategic bombers in the world," he said, adding that "we won't even talk about our Strategic Rocket Forces".

"In total, Russia's nuclear capability is the most powerful in the world," he said.

"Now Russia's entire nuclear triad has been placed on special alert. Putin warned them. Don't try to frighten Russia."

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Standard stuff from that guy.

Never afraid to threaten us. Kiselyov has been doing it for years.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Whether we see boots on the ground or not, our country is now at war with Russia. To supply arms, war machinery, and even to suggest, and by default encourage, mercenaries to make their way to the Ukraine (Liz Truss earlier) is evidence enough. This is why Putin has spoken of placing his 'deterrent' (nuclear arsenal) on alert. I don't believe he would ever use it. But what I do believe is that instead of firing up the rhetoric, for the sake of peace on this continent, someone needs to make the first move to conciliation before things are too far gone.

The Ukrainians are exercising their right to defend their nation, everyone else has a duty to stop this war from continuing and escalating.
Yes, let's cower whenever Putin wants something.

Next week Lithuania.

Putin's Psychological Warfare is working.

The Chinese soon won't have a planet either if they don't reign Putin in.

Last edited:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

He thought the west would roll over. Instead the west has had the good sense to stop kicking the can down the road whilst we continue with our materialistic lives. Instead we are backing people fighting for their lives. The moral choice.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Rouble plunges 30%. Anyone in the know see it dropping any lower and also what the mood in the
markets is? Ta.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Opinion, and an interesting one.

Multi tweet thread :

[Tweet]1497993363076915204[/Tweet]

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Rouble plunges 30%. Anyone in the know see it dropping any lower and also what the mood in the
markets is? Ta.

Foreign investors starting to dump their assets, BP is offloading its 25% stake in Rosneft, expect Shell, Total and others to follow

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009

I guess if we are going to cross reference events today with WW2 here is a unelected German leader speaking for a German dominated continent bloc laying claim to Ukraine.

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-eu-commission-chief-von-der-leyen-invite/

A European empire that used to stretch from Lisbon to Poland now wants more living room?

At least we will now get an opportunity to see how many Europeans want to fight for this new Europe……..maybe they can push a bit further and hold on to Stalingrad this time?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
That's pushing it tbh. You don't persuade someone to remain neutral and then beat the crap out of them. Also it's a democratic country. If Ukraine votes to be part of NATO or votes a govt' in that wishes to be part of Nato or the EU then that's their right. It's basic.

Is that was has happened…………do you think NATO and EU membership were on the table for Ukraine following the accord signed between Russia and Ukraine in 2015?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Opinion, and an interesting one.

Multi tweet thread :

[Tweet]1497993363076915204[/Tweet]

very interesting thread on history and strategy. points to why Russia just isnt getting as far as expected.

also, seen alternative reports the long column is to the NE of Kyiv not the south. either way, now broadcast across the world a couple of ambushes or drone strikes stop that still. Russia seem to have no convoy protection, just driving down the main roads expecting no resistance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here