Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
He had a view the other day about NATO being a ‘colonial force.’ I asked him to list the NATO colonies and didn’t get a reply. He is doing exactly the same as he does with Covid ie spewing out phrases in scattergun fashion, anything that allows him to claim superior knowledge to everybody else. He regurgitates conspiracy theory he has read on the internet. He should be banned from the thread because he is ruining it and I will now go elsewhere for updates. The most disappointing thing is when he garners support from people such as yourself.

Agree completely. I've been coming to this thread as one of my go to sources for info as to the situation on the ground only to have to wade through swannys drivel to find any
Very good observation. It has been at the back of my mind as well.

I am not supporting Swansman's point of view in any way, but I don't think he has broken any rules about the way debates are conducted on NSC. There's always the Ignore function :shrug:

I'm sure if he did, the mods would take the correct action, they normally do :thumbsup:

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskiy is addressing all citizens of the world, friends of Ukraine, peace and democracy. Anyone who wants to join the defence of Ukraine, Europe and the world can come and fight side by side with the Ukrainians against the Russian war criminals.”

A separate subdivision is being formed of foreigners entitled the International Legion for the Territorial Defence of Ukraine. There is no greater contribution which you can make for the sake of peace.”

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
If it is formed it will under the Ukrainian flag and maybe wearing Ukrainian uniforms/insignia.

Now I get your point, the Beeb are talking of a call to arms for foreign fighters from the Ukrainian president. Anyone that goes for this would be heroic or mad, or both maybe!

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Now I get your point, the Beeb are talking of a call to arms for foreign fighters from the Ukrainian president. Anyone that goes for this would be heroic or mad, or both maybe!

Both I’d say and seeing the numbers of western fighters supporting the Kurds in their battles I think there will be a big uptake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
A Ukrainian company in charge of building and maintaining roads said it was removing all road signs that could be used by invading Russian forces to find their way around the country. The company, Ukravtodor, said in a Facebook post: “The enemy has poor communications, they cannot navigate the terrain. Let us help them get straight to hell.”

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Zelensky: We will not talk to Russia in Belarus - BBC.

'Russia says a delegation has arrived in Belarus - ostensibly for talks with Ukraine.
But Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy has rejected the offer, saying talks in Minsk could have been possible if Russia had not attacked Ukraine from Belarusian territory.
However, he is leaving the door open to negotiations in other locations.
He said: "If there had been no aggressive action from your territory, we could talk in Minsk... other cities can be used as the venue for talks.
"Of course we want peace, we want to meet, we want the war to end. Warsaw, Bratislava, Budapest, Istanbul, Baku - we've offered them to the Russians.
"Any other city would suit us, too - in a country, from whose territory missiles are not launched at us. This is the only way negotiations can be honest and can really end the war."

So this morning, he's announced a foreign legion, and is dictating the terms of the peace. All before breakfast.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
The President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelenskiy is addressing all citizens of the world, friends of Ukraine, peace and democracy. Anyone who wants to join the defence of Ukraine, Europe and the world can come and fight side by side with the Ukrainians against the Russian war criminals.”

A separate subdivision is being formed of foreigners entitled the International Legion for the Territorial Defence of Ukraine. There is no greater contribution which you can make for the sake of peace.”

I wonder if theres any chance that this could be used as a ruse to get some NATO special forces on the ground in Ukraine? Similar to what the Russians did with the 'separatists' in Eastern Ukraine.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I am not supporting Swansman's point of view in any way, but I don't think he has broken any rules about the way debates are conducted on NSC. There's always the Ignore function :shrug:

I'm sure if he did, the mods would take the correct action, they normally do :thumbsup:

The ignore function does not have its intended effect when he sends a thread down a rabbit hole for several pages.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

The best way to not let a thread be derailed if you don't want it derailed is to not reply to a derailing post. I continue to find this thread easy to read and useful.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If I and others wish to express our frustration about the presence on this thread of an attention seeking conspiracy theorist then we will. Perhaps if you don’t want to read it then put us all on ignore ?

Provided you don't mind contributing to the thread derailment then I don't mind. But I thought that.....oh, never mind.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Did anyone catch this on the BBC? Russians getting a taste of their own medicine :thumbsup:

Kremlin website down for several hours

Six Russian government websites are currently down, according to the Kyiv Independent.
That list reportedly includes the official sites of the Kremlin and Russia's media regulatory agency.
The outlet attributed its reporting to sources at Ukraine's state telecommunications agency.
State TV channels have also been “hacked to play Ukrainian songs", it says.
The Anonymous hacking collective has taken credit for the attacks, but this has not been independently confirmed.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I can fully understand this, there are probably thousands of Eastern Europeans with some military service/national service who feel strongly enough to fight against the Russians. There are no shortages of volunteers in Ukraine but every man counts. It's only total opposition to the invasion that can save Ukraine from occupation and the domino effect of invasion of adjacent countries.

There was a heartfelt appeal by a Ukrainian lady MP ( or equivalent ) saying they needed all the help they could get " This fight is your fight, Ukrainians are fighting a war that you will have to fight next "

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Missiles have been fired from Belarus so Zelensky is right to refuse to go there.

[tweet]1497838644933054464[/tweet]

Indeed Belarus are complicit in the invasion for allowing it to be launched from their soil. They should be sanctioned in the same manner as Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here