Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Russell Slade is new Albion manager (until the end of the season)

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Russell Slade will sign this afternoon. :clap2:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Where does it say that Doug?

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Was he not sacked from Yeovil? Why the hell would we want him then? A very poor signing in my view, if true.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Walked from Yeovil. Good track record. About what we can expect in our situation. Proven record hauling teams out of deep holes as well so got to say fits the bill.

Lets face it , it's gone on long enough , there are pretty poor names being mentioned and the sooner we get someone in the better.

Can't be worse than it's been, things can only get better.

I'm fully behind Slade if he gets it + I'll give him a fair chance

petelucas

Jun 4, 2008
Was he not sacked from Yeovil? Why the hell would we want him then? A very poor signing in my view, if true.

some might feel he was sacked somewhat unfairly after winning last four ?? games. the guy is on a winning streak something we could do with right now so want him or not lets just get behind him and get out of this mess!!

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
some might feel he was sacked somewhat unfairly after winning last four ?? games. the guy is on a winning streak something we could do with right now so want him or not lets just get behind him and get out of this mess!!

Fair point and happy to oblige.

:thumbsup:

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Sounds good to me.

My only reservation is that there will be some idiots on here (and elsewhere) not prepared to give him a chance from the word go, and we will end up in another ridiculous situation where the manager is getting abuse 3 games into his reign. But then, the way things are round here at the moment, I could see that happening with Mourinho.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2009/feb/16/russell-slade-yeovil-town

from 16th Feb

Russell Slade has left his post as the manager of Yeovil Town, the club have today confirmed.

Rumours had been gathering since the end of last week that following a falling-out with the chairman, John Fry, regarding Yeovil's budget Slade was about to leave.

He has done so this afternoon with the club sitting 16th in League One following their 3–1 victory over Peterborough on Saturday.

Slade joined Yeovil two and a half years ago and took them to the League One play-off final in his first season. They have struggled since, however, with Slade said to have been worried by the club's lack of transfer funds.

So it doesnt say he was sacked,

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Saw this on another forum that paints him a very good light:-

The board have been trying to manoeuvre Slade out by restricting his budget and using the YTFC supporters forum to undermine him with critical posts.
He was on 4 yr contract with 2 yrs plus to go so in theory 200k plus compensation owed to Slade.
Unlikely ever to get story from our board but my guess is some sort of personality clash with chairman/owner and they will try and avoid compo by claiming some sort of " breach of contract ".
Irrespective of above unlikely to be able to get a new manager who can achieve as much as Slade did on such a limited budget.
Considering we have lowest playing budget in Lg 1 bar Hereford and lowest quality of squad bar Hereford and Cheltenham the man has worked wonders over last 2/3 yrs.
Our board will take us back down the leagues and it is only a matter of time until we are back in Conference again.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
If the Argus are breaking the story as definite - as SCR has just been saying - it appears they haven't updated their website yet. All I can find there is the 'Slade edges closer to the job' story.

Still, if confirmed, I think it's a good appointment - the guy has a decent track record at our level, and I believe he can get us out of trouble.

Let's give him a massive welcome on Saturday. Cum on feel the noize and all that :clap::clap:

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Good appointment and it is vital that we get behind him and the team tomorrow and the rest of the season. I hope he has been allowed to bring in his own backroom staff and been given more than a contract until the end of the season.

Can't wait for tomorrow if this is true.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Frankly the guy knows this level of football well. He's a better bet than either Ince or Pardue and has more experience than Gannon come to that. Seems like a good idea to me.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008
Forgive me if this is overly cynical, but I'll believe it when I see it.

I think in the past 2 weeks we have had about 5 - 10 managers who were going to sign tomorow.

nothing personal.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
To be honest I find it all pretty uninspiring. I suppose he might be alright, but I'm sure when people ask me who the manager is and I tell them, their reply will be 'who?'

I personally would've liked a young Ince type manager given the chance, but I've no idea if any ex-players even applied for the job.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
To be honest I find it all pretty uninspiring. I suppose he might be alright, but I'm sure when people ask me who the manager is and I tell them, their reply will be 'who?'

I personally would've liked a young Ince type manager given the chance, but I've no idea if any ex-players even applied for the job.

Not a big name so you dismiss it.Great logic.

SeagullEd

Jan 18, 2008

Who wa sthe last big high profile manager we had!? (they have to be high profile when they joined the club)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here