Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Running

How old are you? That's the thing that tends to affect people in their teens innit? And then you grown out of it.

I was told the same thing around 15 years ago, today my knees are so bad I can't bend them for longer then 10 seconds.

10 mins a day on the treadmills aside, I can't do any kind of running or physical sport, the pain they give me is horrendous.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Bob, have you read Ultramarathon man by Dean Karnazes? If not then make sure you do - its an inspirational story which will make even your 103 miles seem like a training run!

I recommend it to anyone getting into running - it will motivate you to get yourself out there and believe you can achieve what you're aiming for

Ultramarathon Man: Amazon.co.uk: Dean Karnazes: Books

Yes I have
there's a couple here that I found to be much more of an inspiration

Born to Run
Feet in the Clouds

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I ran for the first time in about 10 years (since school cross country) and really enjoyed it though I made the mistake of running only on the undercliff between the Marina and saltdean(no changing scenery). I'm going to try and do it on top of the cliff today to see if it's easier. My main problem is that I do it straight from work so am jogging with a rucksack on which isn't great for a beginner! Any tips on stopping leg ache? Are bigger more deliberate stride better or shorter ones(which I found myself doing).

I'm hoping I will pluck up the courage soon to attempt to run to the Marina and back but fear I'll get there and hit a mental block and not run it back.

1066gull

targets targets targets! I would imagine you must be getting bored solid just doing the same distances and routes all the time.

Set yourself something to aim for. Maybe you want to train for distance? maybe for speed? either way there are lots of free sites that will help you put a plan in place to help you acheive your goal.

Variety is what its all about. And hitting your targets and moving to the next will really motivate you

I do it to meet a girl on the other side of town...

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Been running for getting on 5 years now, and I love it.

Its alway the races I enjoy, from 10k right up to the 11 marathon I've now run. Currently training Beachy Head Marathon in October.

Its quite a social and friendy sport to, I've met some great people through running.

Got to also say, it makes beer taste even better :drink:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
Yet to progress beyond a good brisk walk, today I did 5km at 5am and next is 5km cycle ride. do these twice a day from nw on, i hope!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here