Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Running

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Indeed. Running can be a bit of a boar, but free exercise. Gyms tend to be a little bit deer.

:bowdown:

Personally I found my run today to be rather pheasant.

Edit: DAMN YOU BIGGUMS :lolol:

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
Well I did drag myself out for a quick (by my standards) six miler. The first three miles today felt utterly crap, like running through treacle. Wasn't until I turned round at the halfway point that I realised just what a bastard headwind I'd been running into, and positively flew home. Now sitting with an ice pack on the hamstrings though, think I may have overdone the lunges beforehand (not in Alan Partridge style shorts by the way) :facepalm:

The boys are back in the barracks

ward is god

Dec 26, 2008
Somerset near Yeovil
I started running this summer and run a couple of miles most days. It feels good to run in the early morning but can't see the attraction remaining the same in the winter months. I use the free 'runkeeper' app. It tracks your route and pace etc.

JGaleBHA

On the Gus bus
Apr 24, 2010
Horsham
I used to go running, 5k everyday.
Then I got a problem in my knee, so I decided to stop. I'm thinking of starting again though.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I used to go running, 5k everyday.
Then I got a problem in my knee, so I decided to stop. I'm thinking of starting again though.

What sort of problem? I had an issue with one knee, every time I'd get to about 4 miles it would kick in.

Eventully found out it was to do with my running style, I was landing too much on the toe end and not enough on the heel. As soon as I worked that out: no more pain. That, and I went and bought some running shoes that are designed for my type of running (as opposed to over-pronators).

JGaleBHA

On the Gus bus
Apr 24, 2010
Horsham
It's called osgood schlatters disease, it hurts a lot when I do exercise. That doesn't stop me though, love it way to much. Doctors said if it gets worse then I might have to stop my football, I doubt that will happen even if it does get worse, :laugh:

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
It's called osgood schlatters disease, it hurts a lot when I do exercise. That doesn't stop me though, love it way to much. Doctors said if it gets worse then I might have to stop my football, I doubt that will happen even if it does get worse, :laugh:

How old are you? That's the thing that tends to affect people in their teens innit? And then you grown out of it.

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
Just ordered the nike+ to go with my Ipod Touch. Had a few months taking it easy after the marathon but starting to build my base fitness up before the real training starts again!

JGaleBHA

On the Gus bus
Apr 24, 2010
Horsham
Yeah, I'm 15, only a young boy :laugh:
I've had the problem for 2 years now though, still hurts a lot, been to the doctors and few times and they are not sure it's osgood schlatters, they think it might be something else.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I have a feeling Bobby Zamora once had Osgood-Schlatter's, hence he was rejected by whichever club he was with at the time (aged about 16 I guess).

So it does pass.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
Been running using micoach app for iPhone for 2 weeks today. My program takes me out 5 days a week for initial runs of 10 mins with a few 15 min ones mixed in. My prob is I am still finding it really hard and have to force myself to go each day. Does it get any easier, anyone got any tips?

targets targets targets! I would imagine you must be getting bored solid just doing the same distances and routes all the time.

Set yourself something to aim for. Maybe you want to train for distance? maybe for speed? either way there are lots of free sites that will help you put a plan in place to help you acheive your goal.

Variety is what its all about. And hitting your targets and moving to the next will really motivate you

RSBLUEANDWHITEARMY

Aug 5, 2009
North Stand
I average about 8 miles a day. I have only run one half marathon but want to run a full marathon by the end of the year!

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Running is a high impact leisure and will give you knee and other problems in later years.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
I'm running the South downs Way race in less than 3 weeks.
103 miles with a 32 hour cut off
http://www.southdownswayrace.org

Bob, have you read Ultramarathon man by Dean Karnazes? If not then make sure you do - its an inspirational story which will make even your 103 miles seem like a training run!

I recommend it to anyone getting into running - it will motivate you to get yourself out there and believe you can achieve what you're aiming for

Ultramarathon Man: Amazon.co.uk: Dean Karnazes: Books

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here