Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Rumbles between schools

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
My Dad was posted to Burma in WW2, but he never spoke about it. Not once. I don't know whether he actually fought, and/or suffered terribly or not at all. It didn't ever occur to me to ask him about it. As a young lad, I was too wrapped up in myself. Now he's dead, it's too late to ask him.
My grandmother was born in India to 1st generation German immigrants who worked for a Brewery out there in 1916, they changed their name from a German one to an English one during the WW1 and denounced their German heritage. She moved to Burma, Rangoon with her parents and met my grandfather and married shortly before the war he was a priest, long and short the Japanese came, everyone fled, her dad stayed and fought and died along with other family members, she escaped through the jungle with my grandfather several others to India, her brother went back and fought, he won the Burma star, i would love to have picked his brains, but they were his memories and when he did talk, it was silly things, very matter of fact, he told me there was a pole in village square they came across chasing the Japanese back through Burma, the pole erect probably 20ft tall with a man impaled on it half way down (a slow death as he slide down the pole) he showed me the photo, a Japanese solider wondered into this village unarmed and lost the locals did what they did as revenge.
jeeez I thought when he told me that wow, that’s just a bit your willing to share.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
My grandmother was born in India to 1st generation German immigrants who worked for a Brewery out there in 1916, they changed their name from a German one to an English one during the WW1 and denounced their German heritage. She moved to Burma, Rangoon with her parents and met my grandfather and married shortly before the war he was a priest, long and short the Japanese came, everyone fled, her dad stayed and fought and died along with other family members, she escaped through the jungle with my grandfather several others to India, her brother went back and fought, he won the Burma star, i would love to have picked his brains, but they were his memories and when he did talk, it was silly things, very matter of fact, he told me there was a pole in village square they came across chasing the Japanese back through Burma, the pole erect probably 20ft tall with a man impaled on it half way down (a slow death as he slide down the pole) he showed me the photo, a Japanese solider wondered into this village unarmed and lost the locals did what they did as revenge.
jeeez I thought when he told me that wow, that’s just a bit your willing to share.
Indeed. Thanks for sharing that story. But you can see why many veterans decided not to tell their families of their wartime experiences. Many of them were brutal and no doubt some carried out by us.

As an aside, the anglicisation of names also occurred in my mum's family (from the Spanish name Felipe to Phillips). A necessity in those days I guess.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Indeed. Thanks for sharing that story. But you can see why many veterans decided not to tell their families of their wartime experiences. Many of them were brutal and no doubt some carried out by us.
indeed
As an aside, the anglicisation of names also occurred in my mum's family (from the Spanish name Felipe to Phillips). A necessity in those days I guess.
Yep my great, great grandfather came to London as a Baker, and then had about 7 boys and became a pub landlord all of them running pubs or working in the industry in London and my great grandfather went to India and Burma working for brewery's and then the forestry commission. The whole family changed their names from Schnauber to Shaw in 1916.
District of Tavoy in Burma now called Dawei.
Great Grandfather WW2 front row in the middle, he died fighting in Burma, his son is the one who went on to gain the Burma Star.
Major Schanubur in the middle india and Burma.jpg

name change.jpg

Sorry for taking this off topic folks, I am finding this therapeutic, as it is my grans anniversary of her passing soon, her dad in the photo.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
indeed

Yep my great, great grandfather came to London as a Baker, and then had about 7 boys and became a pub landlord all of them running pubs or working in the industry in London and my great grandfather went to India and Burma working for brewery's and then the forestry commission. The whole family changed their names from Schunbur to Shaw in 1916.
Great Grandfather WW2 front row in the middle, he died fighting in Burma, his son is the one who went on to gain the Burma Star.
View attachment 183262

View attachment 183261

Sorry for taking this off topic folks, I am finding this therapeutic, as it is my grans anniversary of her passing soon, her dad in the photo.
Absolutely no need to apologise. That change of surname is a family treasure and a link to your past. I note that you spell your original family surname as Schunbur, but in the photo, it is spelled Schnauber?

I've just remembered another example in my family. My Mum's brother-in-law's name was Steiner. I don't know if he was German, but he presumably thought it a good idea to change it for WW2, married my mum's sister Doreen, and they moved to Australia with the name Skinner.

Last edited:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Absolutely no need to apologise. That change of surname is a family treasure and a link to your past. I note that you spell your original family surname as Schunbur, but in the photo, it is spelled Schnauber?
your correct, and I am work trying to multitask and post on NSC.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Anyone remember Mr Hickman (Mr Hitler) at Stringer? Had his class with individual old-timey desks (the only classroom in the school to do so, I think) and was absolutely terrifying. We had some really weird teachers.

There was Mr Catchpole, who must’ve been about 90, and didn’t seem to know what was going on.

Mr Browne, German teacher/assistant head teacher was sent down for noncing.

Mr Crumpton in maths was very… odd. We’ll leave that there.

Mr Barton in science looked just like Rodney Trotter.

Mr Waters in history used to show us Blackadder and had a lisp, where you learned not to sit too close or get drenched in spit. Nice guy though, one of my favourite teachers.

Ms Sell in art was like a cartoon witch, and seemed to think she was some kind of nobility, going on about dressage and stuff. Mean woman. There was, for the entirety of my time there, a very unflattering portrait of her opposite her den-like classroom in D block. Painted as a witch (she had the big crooked nose already) and to this day I don’t think she realised it was her.

Our English teacher, whose name briefly escapes me, had a literal nervous breakdown in class and never returned. She had just gone on some television reality show set in a spa, and was in bits every lesson. Felt bad for her, even if she did call me a little bastard once for no reason whatsoever.

And then there was Ms Kennedy in French. *sigh* :love:

Last edited:

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
indeed

Yep my great, great grandfather came to London as a Baker, and then had about 7 boys and became a pub landlord all of them running pubs or working in the industry in London and my great grandfather went to India and Burma working for brewery's and then the forestry commission. The whole family changed their names from Schnauber to Shaw in 1916.
View attachment 183262

View attachment 183261

Almost four months to the day after that paper was signed, my Grandma (RIP) was born!

Love old documents like that. Thanks for sharing :smile:

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Bloody hell. That's a name I was hoping I would never hear again. A nasty, vicious thug of a teacher. IIRC his replacement was Bob Harbour. Chalk and cheese. Bob was a nice bloke and a very good teacher.
Bob was a nice guy. Had him for A-Level economics. He used to come to concerts with us.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
Anyone remember Mr Hickman (Mr Hitler) at Stringer? Had his class with individual old-timey desks (the only classroom in the school to do so, I think) and was absolutely terrifying. We had some really weird teachers.

There was Mr Catchpole, who must’ve been about 90, and didn’t seem to know what was going on.

Mr Waters in history used to show us Blackadder and had a lisp, where you learned not to sit too close or get drenched in spit. Nice guy though, one of my favourite teachers.

Ms Sell in art was like a cartoon witch, and seemed to think she was some kind of nobility, going on about dressage and stuff. Mean woman. There was, for the entirety of my time there, a very unflattering portrait of her opposite her den-like classroom in D block. Painted as a witch (she had the big crooked nose already) and to this day I don’t think she realised it was her.

Our English teacher, whose name briefly escapes me, had a literal nervous breakdown in class and never returned. She had just gone on some television reality show set in a spa, and was in bits every lesson. Felt bad for her, even if she did call me a little bastard once for no reason whatsoever.

Yes, very much remember Hickman. There’s a section in my forthcoming book which covers how he imprinted Winfield on to both of my arse cheeks!

Blinkers

Jul 8, 2020

Hickman was my form tutor for my first year at Stringer (1981/2). I failed his Kings & Queens test 3 times!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here