Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Rumbles between schools

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
This thread should be renamed the Harry Allt thread. Once experienced, never forgotten. He was a teacher from a bygone era.

Yes he was extremely violent, but he was OUR extremely violent history teacher at Varndean. Nobody will ever take those memories away from us.
Before Crazy Harry there was Butch Hutchins, the headteacher before Molly. He terrified my dad and hosts of other OVs. Varndean seemed to attract a particularly fine set of psychos.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
There were a few, mostly small but a couple of big ones between Holy Trinity and St. Wilfred in the 80's. I was at Holy Trinity, when we went to them it would happen in the entrance to Goffs Park or on the grass by the Mormon temple, if they came to us it would be Cheals car park. Fights were usually arranged by the lads from both schools that bussed in from Horsham. I had to walk past St.Wilfs on my way to and from Trinity, would sometimes be eventful. I was invited to attend a couple of after school bust ups between St.Wilfs lads, and most of their school would be there, could sometimes get big as quite a few of the kids there had several brothers (Catholic families).
There was a big one between Hazelwick and Ifield mid 80's. Thomas Bennet had a small gang of 7 or 8 lads that would pay visits to all the shopping parades used at lunchtimes by other schools kids, from time to time, and kick something off. No one took a mob to Bennet, too many nutters there.
A bit after my time I think. I left Trinity in ‘82

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
Before Crazy Harry there was Butch Hutchins, the headteacher before Molly. He terrified my dad and hosts of other OVs. Varndean seemed to attract a particularly fine set of psychos.
Including Sammy Turner with his infamous “Sammywhack” and proclivity for lurking in the showers after games.

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Ah Butch! His preferred words to attract your attention were: "Hey you! Dogsbody!". Probably the last Varndean head to use the cane regularly.
He was only 5 feet tall, if that, but would reach up and grab errant huge sixth-formers by the earlobes and drag them out. Had 'Personal Appearance Inspections' for shiny shoes and length of hair not to touch the shirt collar. The night before he retired, the leaving boys got up on the roof and painted on it 'Bye Bye Butch we'll miss you'.
Then came Molly. Tall, huge stride, flowing robes. Later in life, Darth Vader bore a likeness to him.

BrianB

Sleepy Mid Sussex
Nov 14, 2020
Hassocks County Secondary ( now Downlands) late 60s , the geography teacher was a man who Iirc had been a prisoner of war held by the Japanese , a chap who these days would be getting ptsd treatment , he could flip too full-on psycho in seconds ...
A pity because the one class I liked was geography🙄.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Hassocks County Secondary ( now Downlands) late 60s , the geography teacher was a man who Iirc had been a prisoner of war held by the Japanese , a chap who these days would be getting ptsd treatment , he could flip too full-on psycho in seconds ...
I think you will find a lot of veterans from WW2 became teachers and what they went through affected them, with probably no support whatsoever, in a way you have to feel for them as you get older you understand why they were like they were, at the time you thought wow, or it was actually the norm.

Last edited:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think you will find a lot of veterans from WW2 became teachers and what they went through affected them, with probably no support whatsoever, in a way you have to feel for them as you get older you understand why they were like they were, at the time you thought wow, or it was actually the norm.
My Dad was posted to Burma in WW2, but he never spoke about it. Not once. I don't know whether he actually fought, and/or suffered terribly or not at all. It didn't ever occur to me to ask him about it. As a young lad, I was too wrapped up in myself. Now he's dead, it's too late to ask him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Tideway's head Mr Rothwell through the entire 70's, had been a Japanese POW. He reacted the other way, he was a libertarian e.g. the only senior school in the UK where you could wear casual clothing of your choosing. Briefly at age 11 kids were bought the uniform including orange jumpers, soon ditched for Adidas, Levi, Wrangler.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My Dad was posted to Burma in WW2, but he never spoke about it. Not once. I don't know whether he actually fought, and/or suffered terribly or not at all. It didn't ever occur to me to ask him about it. As a young lad, I was too wrapped up in myself. Now he's dead, it's too late to ask him.

So was my paternal grandad. France, Dunkirk, then Burma for all 6 years. He passed when I was 30, he never reminisced.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
My Uncle went over on DD + 6 and was among the group that liberated Belsun. Never talked about it. All I knew was that he had seen terrible things.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
you could try to find his military record....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here