Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rule Britannnia? GSTQ? It's a joke, right?

Gilliver's Travels

Peripatetic
Jul 5, 2003
Brighton Marina Village
How many tankers of lager does it take for the irony bypass to kick in, enabling you to sing this crap without embarrassment at an England match? Consider the facts: --

Rule Britannia -- designed for nerdy public school tossers at the Last Night of the Proms. Not an England song.

God Save the Queen -- appalling dirge, forgivable only if you're religious, and a monarchist. But still not an England song.

St George -- obscure Turk. A legend, yes. But not an English bloke.

However much I supported England, red-hot needles in the eyes would be insufficient to prod me into taking part in that appalling collective cringe-fest. How does anyone with half a brain cell manage it?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
"There's always be an England" It's time we changed to St Alban.

Gully

Monkey in a seagull suit.
Apr 24, 2004
Way out west
I prefer the Horsham version of no surrender, playing on their nickname of the lardy boys.

Give me lard in my heart, give me Horsham,
give me lard in my heart I pray,
give me lard in my heart, give me Horsham,
give me Horsham till the break of day.

No surrender, no surrender,
no surrender to the low fat spread.

gts big bruv

Apr 15, 2004
Tavistock
Gilliver's Travels said:
How many tankers of lager does it take for the irony bypass to kick in, enabling you to sing this crap without embarrassment at an England match? Consider the facts: --

Rule Britannia -- designed for nerdy public school tossers at the Last Night of the Proms. Not an England song.

God Save the Queen -- appalling dirge, forgivable only if you're religious, and a monarchist. But still not an England song.

St George -- obscure Turk. A legend, yes. But not an English bloke.

However much I supported England, red-hot needles in the eyes would be insufficient to prod me into taking part in that appalling collective cringe-fest. How does anyone with half a brain cell manage it?

TWAT!

Gilliver's Travels said:

She's German anyway. And married to a Greek.;)

Funny other nations have national anthems, songs dedicated to their country.

Ours is devoted to a person - the monarch?

LC

Dandyman

In London village.
To be fair our national anthem was written as a riposte to an Italian transvestite trying to re-introduce the concepts of bead juggling and absolute monarchy to our green and pleasant, so possibly not as awful as all that. ;)

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'd far rather that the England football and rugby (and any other sport for that matter) teams used Land Of Hope And Glory, the way that the English team does when we win a medal at the Commonwealth Games.

GSTQ is the British national anthem, NOT just the English one, and should only be used as such (ie: in the Olympics or anywhere else that this country is represented by a "Great Britain" team)

Fran Hagarty

Jul 5, 2003
Mid Sussex
AlexFrutos said:
I'd far rather that the England football and rugby (and any other sport for that matter) teams used Land Of Hope And Glory, the way that the English team does when we win a medal at the Commonwealth Games.

GSTQ is the British national anthem, NOT just the English one, and should only be used as such (ie: in the Olympics or anywhere else that this country is represented by a "Great Britain" team)

Hear! Hear! also, Land of Hope & Glory is emotive and rousing, but as someone else said, GSTQ is a complete an utter dirge and an embarrassment as an anthem. I loathe it!

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
Time we changed it to LOH&G. At least thats a song about England. If not that then it should be Jerusalem.

Last edited:

Statto

Nov 11, 2005
Graceland Memphis
John Boy said:
Evening Pat. Heading up to Lords, for the final? (Even if it means missing an albion game? ;) )

Possibly john yeah. Im hoping the club and the F.A will see sense and move our fixture to the friday or the sun. Otherwise ive got a bit of a problem.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here