Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rule Britannnia? GSTQ? It's a joke, right?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Gilliver's Travels said:
How many tankers of lager does it take for the irony bypass to kick in, enabling you to sing this crap without embarrassment at an England match? Consider the facts: --

Rule Britannia -- designed for nerdy public school tossers at the Last Night of the Proms. Not an England song.

God Save the Queen -- appalling dirge, forgivable only if you're religious, and a monarchist. But still not an England song.

St George -- obscure Turk. A legend, yes. But not an English bloke.

However much I supported England, red-hot needles in the eyes would be insufficient to prod me into taking part in that appalling collective cringe-fest. How does anyone with half a brain cell manage it?

Totally agree, our national anthem is rubbish. I think people will begin to understand quite how rubbish it is when the words have to change to reflect the sex of the monarch. God forbid, how will people cope if we crown a transexual ?

St. George, how useless is that ? You're expected to celebrate a figure who apparently killed a dragon ? Shall we have a Lord of the Rings day too ?

But.. I came though to London Bridge tonight on the train and saw a council estate with possibly a hundred English flags hanging from the balconies.

(Its one of the estates near Tower Bridge in Bermondsey) - I thought it looked great.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Re: Re: Rule Britannnia? GSTQ? It's a joke, right?

clapham_gull said:
But.. I came though to London Bridge tonight on the train and saw a council estate with possibly a hundred English flags hanging from the balconies.

(Its one of the estates near Tower Bridge in Bermondsey) - I thought it looked great.

Probably the Neckinger: not a place for walking around at night.

It's only when you get events like the WC and listen to the other anthems that you realised just how dirge-like GSTQ is.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here