Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rudiger Red?

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
In the modern game it’s a red. Doesn’t matter if he didn’t connect with Tariq, the intent was there. Back in the day. Vinnie Jones would be proud

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that he didn't connect with Tariq, the reason for the yellow was that he couldn't connect with Lamptey and that does matter.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Lukaku’s elbow on Maupay before he started holding him was more worthy of a mention than the two weak penalty claims too

Lukaku's double elbow on Maupay shouldn't be a surprise. I seem to remember Lukaku doing some sort of cartwheel kick on Bong when United scored against us (and surprisingly, nothing given then either :rolleyes:)

And red for Rudiger all day long

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Close, but i'm leaning towards red. Two foot, studs up, in the air, out of control like that should be taken out of the game.

The excuse that he got the ball or that he didn't catch Lamptey, to me doesn't wash. The intention is to intimidate. He should go for that

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I can see arguments for both. As Stat Bro and Hans Fans says, Rudiger lunges in front of Lamptey, so didn't hurt him.

Conversely, do we want players to think that sort of challenge is acceptable (if you're not already on a yellow)? Sure this one didn't result in injury, but I could run across a motorway and not get hit by a car, doesn't mean it's safe to repeatedly run across the motorway. A red card makes it clear such a challenge is unacceptable because it could result in serious injury (and likely will, if we see players lunging in like that in every game every weekend).

Last edited:

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Honestly, probably Dean got all the major decisions correct. Not enough of a foul to disallow their goal, just about a yellow for Rudiger, not a pen for them and a yellow for Biss. The only thing he majorly got wrong was not allowing more injury time (which is a major bugbear and terrible refereeing) but it favoured us so all good.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
You could do a two-footed lunge to put the ball out of play without and opponent being within 10 yards of you. Nobody would expect a player to be sent off for that.

The key is "endangering an opponent". I think he got his tackle in before Lamptey was at the ball, so no risk of catching the player at the point of contact.

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
I always understood two footed out of control a red but maybe too far ahead of Lamptey - who knows. He didn't even cleanly take the ball with his lunging feet as it ended up under his arse

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Honestly, probably Dean got all the major decisions correct. Not enough of a foul to disallow their goal, just about a yellow for Rudiger, not a pen for them and a yellow for Biss. The only thing he majorly got wrong was not allowing more injury time (which is a major bugbear and terrible refereeing) but it favoured us so all good.

I was a bit perplexed by the Biss yellow, love you to explain how that was warranted given the Lukaku challenge on Maupay?

Now all the justification for Lukaku’s goal standing was that Maupay was holding him so he was ‘fair game’ to be shoved off and the goal stood. All I saw with Bissouma was a fair challenge, Mount holding him and Bissouma shoving him off to try to continue with the game. I have no idea how Bissouma gets a yellow for less than Lukaku did that wasn’t even a foul?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
What the ref got wrong was not giving a straight red. If he had, VAR could have reviewed it and asked him to check the monitor.
Arrogance from Mike "Broadway" Dean in the circumstances (who'd have thunk it ?)

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I was a bit perplexed by the Biss yellow, love you to explain how that was warranted given the Lukaku challenge on Maupay?

Now all the justification for Lukaku’s goal standing was that Maupay was holding him so he was ‘fair game’ to be shoved off and the goal stood. All I saw with Bissouma was a fair challenge, Mount holding him and Bissouma shoving him off to try to continue with the game. I have no idea how Bissouma gets a yellow for less than Lukaku did that wasn’t even a foul?

Maupay was only 'holding him to be shoved off' after the first elbow to his face from Lukaku.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

One theory (and we'll never know for sure) is that he cut short the injury time due to the instances of the Chelsea fans constantly piss-arsing around with getting the ball back when they were grimly hanging on for the win. We gloriously levelled, and he blew time early to deny Chelsea a chance to retrieve it.

In which case, bravo!

As to the question in hand, I don't think he could have had any complaints were it a red. Launching himself into the air at full pelt and thrusting both feet into the challenge I wouldn't trust his judgement to get that right. It was desperate, and stupendously reckless. A fraction later and we could easily have been seeing a broken leg. Its just not acceptable to have that type of tackle as part of the game.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Yellow.

As per post #5 he lunges in front of, rather than at, Lamptey. The guy is a dangerous thug, who continually goes in harder than he needs to. He should have seen red for his dangerous blocking off of KdB that hospitalised the City player, in the CL final. That kind of thing is typical of his game.

But not on this occasion, for me.

I'm sure I heard them say on commentary that he's never received a red card for Chelsea. That surprises me if true. Seems like a nasty bit of work to me. I remember him biting somone in The Euros for example.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

To be honest, I didn't see the incident at all at the ground last night but looking through the Sky Sports videos this morning one was entitled "should Bissouma have seen Red?" to which looking at the incident the answer was absolutely not.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003
I'm sure I heard them say on commentary that he's never received a red card for Chelsea. That surprises me if true. Seems like a nasty bit of work to me. I remember him biting somone in The Euros for example.

No red cards and only 18 yellow cards in 118 games for them in the PL. I've always thought he was a bit of a thug too.

To be honest, I didn't see the incident at all at the ground last night but looking through the Sky Sports videos this morning one was entitled "should Bissouma have seen Red?" to which looking at the incident the answer was absolutely not.

It was handbags, in fact it wasn't even handbags really, long after the ball had gone. Yellow cards given cause the ref had to stop the game to deal with it as the benches had encroached the pitch to separate them, but nothing more.

GT49er

NSC Patron
Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Definately a yellow. Could have been a red, but very borderline; we've got no complaints as it wasn't given, Chelsea wouldn't have a complaint if it was (although Tuchel would undoubtedly had a good moan about it!) One of those cases where VAR wouldn't have enough to overturn the ref's decision, either way.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here