• Sod the royals and republicans, I'm an ALBION FAN

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
OK.
So you think, Scottish, German imbeciles should be allowed to run this country unelected?

i think that is even worse than I realised.

PEOPLE OF ENGLAND AWAKE, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE BUT YOUR CHAINS.

That is so funny, :lol::lol::lol:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Are you honestly saying that you think, once a person has attained high office, that the position should cease to be an elected post and should, for ever more, pass on to their eldest non catholic male child whether they are an imbecile or not.
Or do you think that honour should only be given to the Saxe Coburgs or whatever part of Germany they come from.

im saying exactly what ive said: that there is some merit to the procedings.
Im pointing out that as yet a viable, consistantly improved alternative has not yet been devised. half of europe have similar constitutional democracies to us and most other democracies didnt exist before WWII. The main exception, the USA, has lurched from isolationist introspection to christo-democratic crusaders, and can hardly be accused of shunning imperialism.
Im pointing out that this state of affairs has been ordained by PARLIAMENT and as such it is in their power to remove the monarch if they choose.

dont like the way the monarch is selected, worried they might be and "imbecile"? no its not perfect, but have you seen some of the muppets that people democractically elect?

So put forward an alterntive suggestion.

Last edited:

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Im pointing out that as yet a viable, consistantly improved alternative has not yet been devised. half of europe have similar constitutional democracies to us and most other democracies didnt exist before WWII.
Im pointing out that this state of affairs has been ordained by PARLIAMENT and as such it is in their power to remove the monarch if they choose.

dont like the way the monarch is selected, worried they might be and "imbecile"? have you seen some of the muppets that people democractically elect?

word.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Im pointing out that as yet a viable, consistantly improved alternative has not yet been devised. half of europe have similar constitutional democracies to us and most other democracies didnt exist before WWII.

dont like the way the monarch is selected, worried they might be and "imbecile"? have you seen some of the muppets that people democractically elect?
:clap::clap:

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
we've had this one before and Hampshire Dave put all the Prince Andrew jibes where they belonged.

Prince Andrew flew a helicopter as a target for Argie warships. Got no special treatment and asked for none. I know you really really don't want to hear that because it makes your chinless wonders argument look desperate and personal but the bloke fought for his country. You didn't. I'd say he's no chinless wonder in my book.

...and please stop trotting out the Germans argument. It's just racist crap.

Buzzer.
If that guy stood up and risked his life for this country , then I am sorry I have cast any doubts on his bravery. We can't have all been there so I will respect Hampshire Daves version as I assume he must have been there.

However, the place was crawling with bloody brave men, many who, sadly, did give their lives for those islands and god bless them for it.
And while some of them came home to a life in cardboard boxes on the streets of this country, one, and only one, came home to a bloody great palace and will spend the rest of his useless life borrowing RAF jets to take him to Scotland to play golf at our expense.

Sorry, untill we start providing all Falklands vets with free palaces and golf trips at the taxpayers expense Andrew will remain a chinless parasite.
Why should he be treated differantly to the other brave men that served our country.

I will continue to trott out the German (and apparently Scottish) argument specificaly to counter the racist crap spouted by people that claim the royals are an example of what it is to be English.
We live in a multiracial, multi cultural society and I hope Liz is as proud of her ethnic origins as I am.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Buzzer.
If that guy stood up and risked his life for this country , then I am sorry I have cast any doubts on his bravery. We can't have all been there so I will respect Hampshire Daves version as I assume he must have been there.

However, the place was crawling with bloody brave men, many who, sadly, did give their lives for those islands and god bless them for it.
And while some of them came home to a life in cardboard boxes on the streets of this country, one, and only one, came home to a bloody great palace and will spend the rest of his useless life borrowing RAF jets to take him to Scotland to play golf at our expense.

Sorry, untill we start providing all Falklands vets with free palaces and golf trips at the taxpayers expense Andrew will remain a chinless parasite.
Why should he be treated differantly to the other brave men that served our country.

I will continue to trott out the German (and apparently Scottish) argument specificaly to counter the racist crap spouted by people that claim the royals are an example of what it is to be English.
We live in a multiracial, multi cultural society and I hope Liz is as proud of her ethnic origins as I am.

fair dos.

The elite always take liberties though. Prescott with his 5 homes and cars to drive his wife 100 yards, Cameron with his chauffeurs behind his bike. They are all the same.

I'm an ardent Royalist on the basis that it works so well (in my opinion). As for the "what is it to be English..." Prince Charles is 100% English, so is Ian Wright and Paul Ince, so is Amir Khan. English to me is a state of mind. It's where your heart is. Where you feel you belong. I agree with Billy Bragg on this one. And the Royals belong here as much as I do.

:thumbsup:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I've never claimed the Royals are an example of what it is to be English.
leonidas you seem to have some strange ideas of what those of us who think that leaving the status quo actually do think.
Or for that matter what the royals bring to this country in tourist revenue and business deals.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
_42254874_roylegroup_bbc203b.jpg

I don't think this lot as heads of state would be a good idea..... but then again given the alternative

rf_jubileejournal_wkend_pageant_qvm.jpg

maybe its a goer after all? :thud:

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
fair dos.

The elite always take liberties though. Prescott with his 5 homes and cars to drive his wife 100 yards, Cameron with his chauffeurs behind his bike. They are all the same.

I'm an ardent Royalist on the basis that it works so well (in my opinion). As for the "what is it to be English..." Prince Charles is 100% English, so is Ian Wright and Paul Ince, so is Amir Khan. English to me is a state of mind. It's where your heart is. Where you feel you belong. I agree with Billy Bragg on this one. And the Royals belong here as much as I do.

:thumbsup:

Buzzer.
Fair dos back
If we had a vote and Liz won, I would be as happy as you, because the continuity would be carried on but with the will of the people for the first time ever.
I am not advocating change for the sake of change and if the present head of state could be voted in, I would be happy with that.
I just can not accept history telling me who my elected prime minister should kneel to, if that person wasn't also elected to the job.

I think Liz has done a really tough job, maybe one of the hardest. We all acknowledge Victorias time when the empire was growing but it must be much, much, harder to be there when an empire is falling apart.

I remember reading somewhere, ages ago,
"I was asked who has the right to call himself an English man and I replied, any man that would stand up, in times of trouble, and say, I, am an English man, and proud of it!

And that has always been the way I see it.

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
I've never claimed the Royals are an example of what it is to be English.
leonidas you seem to have some strange ideas of what those of us who think that leaving the status quo actually do think.
Or for that matter what the royals bring to this country in tourist revenue and business deals.

A ) Sorry Yorkie, did I say you had.

B ) I'm surprised you find democraticly elected heads of state as "antimatter" to a democracy.

C ) You have given me some good questions and I accept, as the arbinger of change, it is down to me to persuade, cajole, those around us that my point has precedant.

I think my point about tourists is fair and you have failed to answer it.
Why should they stop coming?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The argument about the Royals bringing in tourism is quite frankly the biggest load of bollocks I've ever heard.

I'm always speaking to Americans in Paris and they always bring up the fact that the country would be so much nicer if they still had a King.

It's absolutely laughable quite frankly. I live in London and I see daily where the tourists go, "Buck Palace" had only been opened for a few years and there was hardly anything to see outside anyway.

Always brought up by Royalists who have absolutely no means of backing the argument up. I'm sure Richard Branson is shitting himself that he is always unable to finish a deal with Andrew always popping in before him in his helicopter and his golf clubs.

Laughable.

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
Im pointing out that as yet a viable, consistantly improved alternative has not yet been devised. half of europe have similar constitutional democracies to us and most other democracies didnt exist before WWII. The main exception, the USA, has lurched from isolationist introspection to christo-democratic crusaders, and can hardly be accused of shunning imperialism.

dont like the way the monarch is selected, worried they might be and "imbecile"? no its not perfect, but have you seen some of the muppets that people democractically elect?

So put forward an alterntive suggestion.

Mr B.
I apologise for the delay in my reply but I have had other things on my mind.
However, the points you made.
Lots, in fact most of Europe had monarchies before the first world war, and it took the deaths of millions of working class people from many sides to stop that slaughter.

You mediavilists just seem to miss the big point. We, as free Englishmen and women do not need, or want an heridary leader.
If we need a new one, we will elect one.
FULL BLOODY STOP
And stop throwing them bloody speers at me!>

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Lots, in fact most of Europe had monarchies before the first world war, and it took the deaths of millions of working class people from many sides to stop that slaughter.

i rather meant across the whole world. but I'd love to see a list of fully democractic states in Europe before World War II, i cant be bothered to look it up and reckon its pretty short. i do know of one in particular that didnt turn out too good though.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Keep the Monarchy, no question.

They may cost the taxpayer 32p or whatever it was, but they do a marvellous job. Their charity work alone is worth paying that minimal sum. We are constantly told that our country is functioing well, yet you would want to change it?

leonidas

Go tell the Spartans
Jun 5, 2007
Surrounded by pubs
As someone else said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I personally have far more important things to worry about than whether to abolish the Royal Family. Let's keep the status quo and start concerning ourselves with more important issues.

It is broke!
And it does need fixin!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here