• Fence

Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Sod the royals and republicans, I'm an ALBION FAN

Votes: 13 10.6%

• Total voters

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Royalist. Much prefer to have a neutral figurehead as head of state.

edit - and compared to elected officials cost very little. Look how much that utter tosser Prescott cost the country in his final year.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Royalist. Much prefer to have a neutral figurehead as head of state.
Oh right. If that's what you want, lets make a budgie our head of state.

edit - and compared to elected officials cost very little. Look how much that utter tosser Prescott cost the country in his final year.
I am highly suspicious of this. Presumably this doesn't take into account the loss of tax revenue that should have been taken from the wealthist family in the land for the past several hundred years.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Oh right. If that's what you want, lets make a budgie our head of state.

I am highly suspicious of this. Presumably this doesn't take into account the loss of tax revenue that should have been taken from the wealthist family in the land for the past several hundred years.

budgie? how do you get from neutral head of state to that. You do type some utter crap sometimes.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I would love to see public executions of Royalty brought back.

Imagine the whinging on here though by those who could not get a ticket for when the monarch gets the chop.

( I`ve been too 17 executions of Earls, Barons and Dukes this year but I can`t get a ticket for the big one )

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

what does the wealthiest family in the country have to do with it? oh, i see, you believe that this is the Royal family. not even close.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
what does the wealthiest family in the country have to do with it? oh, i see, you believe that this is the Royal family. not even close.
Fair enough - you've completely pissed on my chips there. My argument about loss of tax is now redundant because apparently the Royal family is not THE wealthiest family in the country.

We may as well not bother claiming back that tax now. :(

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Fair enough - you've completely pissed on my chips there. My argument about loss of tax is now redundant because apparently the Royal family is not THE wealthiest family in the country.

We may as well not bother claiming back that tax now. :(

if you want to make your argument that they havent paid tax, thats fair enough on principle. but be honest about it. lets face it, like any other wealthy person/family, they'd have hired a army of accountants over the years to reduce/eliminate their tax had they not had their privilege, so im not sure it makes much difference to the tax rake over the years. can IR claim back tax your grandfather didnt pay? no, so why change the rules for the Royals. The tax thing has been fixed now, move on.

Il Duce

Sussex 'till I die
Aug 19, 2006
NW8
FOR GOD, QUEEN AND EMPIRE!!

Having a Monarchy is a key element of what defines being British. It is part of our history and our culture. It sets us apart from simple republics like France, and keeps our Head of State outside the political realm, which I think is a particularly good thing.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
There is absolutely no excuse for anything hereditary in a mature polity.

So when your parents die, you'll donate the proceeds of the sale of their home to charity?

So when your parents die, you'll donate the proceeds of the sale of their home to charity?

When my grandparents died, their homes reverted to the local council - who rented them out to new tenants.

That seemed fair to them. They saw it as a sign of a fair society.

Although my generation has done quite well out of home ownership, I suspect that future generations will find that they'll have to sell their houses when they reach old age, so that they can get the care that the state will no longer provide free of charge, because my generation has demanded lower taxes.

But what the hell. My generation has done very nicely. Sod the kids.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
When my grandparents died, their homes reverted to the local council - who rented them out to new tenants.

That seemed fair to them. They saw it as a sign of a fair society.

As my parents. Neither of them own/owned their own homes.
As for my old age, my home can't be sold as my toy boy husband will still need somewhere to live. ;)

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I would love to see public executions of Royalty brought back.

Imagine the whinging on here though by those who could not get a ticket for when the monarch gets the chop.

( I`ve been too 17 executions of Earls, Barons and Dukes this year but I can`t get a ticket for the big one )

:lolol::lolol:

BTW, I don't see how having an elected head of state means that some political time server gets elected: Germany, Italy, Israel, India are just some of the countries that have a president who, on the whole, is non-party political - even if, like the Commons speaker, he or she belongs to a party.

I'll take the option of an elected head of state, the massive cost savings, none of the nausiating lick-spittling cow-towing, and status of citizen rather than a subject please. Oh no! The French have done it already, it *must* be wrong!

But wait, astonishingly the French do get some things right; such as improved distribution of wealth, the metric system and a better standard of living than the UK for about 20 of the last 30 years.

Damn-I wanted to say all of that....

Citizen not subject for me please. Get rid of the lot of the free-loading tax dodging chinless wonders and all of their hangers on.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
FOR GOD, QUEEN AND EMPIRE!!

Having a Monarchy is a key element of what defines being British. It is part of our history and our culture. It sets us apart from simple republics like France, and keeps our Head of State outside the political realm, which I think is a particularly good thing.

I would have thought what sets you apart from France is "not being French", not having a German/Greek monarchy ???

Don't you think you should be comparing like with like?

Somebody's home, bought and paid for is totally different to the acquired wealth and privilege of the royal family. How much did Lizzie pay for Windsor Castle? How much did her ancestors pay for any of the land and properties they own? Hell, she was too f***ing tight to pay for a sprinkler system then had the nerve to ask for the tax payers to pay for repairs after the fire-only dropping the request after the majority, rightly so, told her to f*** off and pay for it out of her 750 million or whatever she's worth.

Pick one house Liz, we'll turn the others into theme parks so leave the keys with the security man on your way out.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
We did try being a Republic, it didn't work out...

indeed. and the monarchy was restored by parliament. then they (parliament) didnt like how that King turned out so invited WilliamIII/MaryII to take the throne. Im no historian or expert on the consitution, but as i understand it the monarchy still exits by act of parliament and can be removed. The Queen is Chairman of the board, not the despotic ruler the French or Russians ended up with.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here