Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Royal Mail Strike Again.....

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
My company went through massive restructure 12 months ago resulting in 15% of the workforce losing their jobs and 5 months later I got a 1.9% pay rise.

Welcome to the real world fuckwits. Live with it or move on.

1.9% ? :lolol:

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
so you got an effectively decrease, due to the the rise in the CPI? Lovely.

My contract guarantees me the CPI rise every year, which is nice as its so weirdly constructed here its running higher than it should be - mortgages make up a huge amount of it, and they whacked a masssive amount of extra tax on cigarettes that are in the "basket" too, yet food and clothes prices are falling... unfortunately, it looks like thats all the firm will be offering this year due to "market conditions", namely we actually have a competitor for once. Who have stolen some of our IP and are costing a lot to sue...

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
so you got an effectively decrease, due to the the rise in the CPI? Lovely.

Exactly, which is why it makes me laugh when dinosaurs from privatised industries think that they are owed a living by the company. I have zero sympathy.

At my place you're never going to get more than 3% through the standard pay-rise. You can however get significant raises if you move jobs within the company as you get to negotiate a new salary and still get the annual raise on top. There are plenty of people that I work with who have been doing the same job and and getting the same shitty raises for 5+ years.

Strike? What are they French or something? Time to burn some sheep corpses methinks.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Exactly, which is why it makes me laugh when dinosaurs from privatised industries think that they are owed a living by the company. I have zero sympathy.

Sadly several people I work with are virtually institutionalised by the cocoon of what was British Rail and expect to get a huge redundancy pay off - it won't happen now as private companies cannot afford this.

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
We need the MP's to step in. How are you expected to accept a
25% wage cut against the rate of inflation over the next 5 years. You'd have to be a c~@t to accept that.
Come on the Posties on here, no scabbing please.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Excepting the fact that retail goods are decreasing in value big time, MPs will never step in get real.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Has anyone got a link or anything to show this is actually taking place?

Need to know for work and can't see anything when I googled it...

John Byrne

Jun 18, 2007
The strike starts Wednesday and finishes 12pm Saturday. Which means delayed service Wednesday to Friday and the posties won't actually be working Saturday so no post. Basically different sections of the company are striking at different times.

Hope that makes sense.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX

At my place you're never going to get more than 3% through the standard pay-rise. You can however get significant raises if you move jobs within the company as you get to negotiate a new salary and still get the annual raise on top. There are plenty of people that I work with who have been doing the same job and and getting the same shitty raises for 5+ years.

Strike? What are they French or something? Time to burn some sheep corpses methinks.
Trouble is FUCKWIT you do not know the details of the pay negotiations do you...as it stands a lot of the staff will be out of a job whilst others will lose allowances resulting in them being a lot worse off.....could be to the tune of £50 and they have to swallow the fact the grim reaper in charge will pocket a bonus that runs into 7 figures............................grow up:tosser:

John Byrne

Jun 18, 2007
Another thread slagging of the posties when they don't know the true facts of the strike, just what they read in the sun this morning.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Another thread slagging of the posties when they don't know the true facts of the strike, just what they read in the sun this morning.

Not at all as I have not read a paper today.

Trouble is business needs are changing so employees and employers have to change with the times otherwise they become unprofitable.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
In April we were each at my work called to have our annual chats with the manager. A month or two before we also had our Performance Reviews. Rather amusingly, they gave me an A- or something, despite the fact i just talk all day in a mostly unworkable fashion, or walk out with sympathy and resentment from colleagues when my head feels over-confused/used/arsonic/aggressive. In it, the plans for the following year suggested i concentrate harder on certain issues and self-control. So i went for the natter with the manager on payrise day in the corner of the office. He mentioned something of working toward a promotion in the following year. "yawn", i expressed in reply. But he asked to shake my hand and give me the envelope with the necessary figures inside to the other hand, as if i'd won a hotel room, European TV channels and night with Suzie Dent in a Crossword Weekly end-of-season competition that all wordy bores would cherish most. I agreed and performed this strange act, then flicking the envelope open to see i'd got a payrise of about £179 for the year. Was i supposed to smile or look thankful? Was 1.7% what an A- deserved? I am not desperate for more cash so wasn't hurt, but the idea to take me to one side and go through this half-hour process for £179 seemed f***ing absurd and wasteful. I lectured him shortly on his mistake and returned to my desk to babble on verbally once more without subject.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
My company went through massive restructure 12 months ago resulting in 15% of the workforce losing their jobs and 5 months later I got a 1.9% pay rise.

Welcome to the real world fuckwits. Live with it or move on.

So how do you fancy doing that all over again, but with a real terms minus pay rise.

Royal Mail was restructured 4-5 years ago, thousands of job cuts, the end result being less front line staff doing more work. But then it was 'needed' to survive. So now we have it all over again 40,000 job cuts, hours restructuring, etc etc, for less money.
When all the time the post the front line staff are sorting & delivering is increasing year on year.

Why should I leave a job I love, just because some fatcat wants to screw a company over before they sell it to Deutcher (sp) Post

Trouble was it was all a bit of a game of poker Rail Privatisation and I am afraid (well not really) to say I came out of it miles better off than I ever thought I would.

It must be very frustrating having a manager who knows nought about the railway however because I have that skill I am left to get on with it as we produce the profits required.

The railways are a vital service not a thing you should make profits out of. No wonder our rail services are so bad compared with the rest of europe.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
Trouble is FUCKWIT you do not know the details of the pay negotiations do you...as it stands a lot of the staff will be out of a job whilst others will lose allowances resulting in them being a lot worse off.....could be to the tune of £50 and they have to swallow the fact the grim reaper in charge will pocket a bonus that runs into 7 figures............................grow up:tosser:

Why do you assume that I don't know the details of the negotiations? Because I don't agree with you or support their cause? I have seen them and it doesn't change my stance.

I believe that no one should be expected to take a pay cut and that it should be required that everyone in any industry gets at least an inflation pay-rise per year.

However, I also believe that strike action is not the answer and will not achieve anything except demonstrating contempt for the customers who rely on your service and whom you are relying on for support. The same customers who ultimately pay the salaries.

D

Deleted member 2719

Come on Posties sort it out.

it's give's everyone an excuse for why i have not recieved stuff and boy are these companies using it.

I hate Banks.

:rant::rant:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here