Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Ernest said:
Funny how Colchester can thrive in front of 5000 fans in a tinpot, ramshackle ground isn't it ?

But it is their home isn't it? All the admin is there, they probably train a couple of days a week on it, much like we used to do at the Goldstone where the ground is the focal point for the entire club whereas at Withdean we're split in a number of different locations and having to borrow facilities from Sussex University whilst the admin HQ is in Queens Road.

I'd also add the fact that Colchester picked up a decent manager who made things work on the pitch by developing a good team. How long they can sustain that is another matter. They may well survive this year but could well struggle next as like us they will hit the ceiling where a club no longer has the means to push forward.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

ROSM said:

My view is that Mcghee planned wrong in the summer and we shouldn't have been looking at championship standard but more like best of league 1.

I said this on another thread we knew in April/May that we were going to be playing in this division and as has been quoted to 'Fail to prepare is to Prepare to fail' and we did that we didnt prepare to attack this division during the summer when players were available. I do not know where the blame lies whether it be MM or the board only 2 people know the answer to that. MM and DK.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

BensGrandad said:
I said this on another thread we knew in April/May that we were going to be playing in this division and as has been quoted to 'Fail to prepare is to Prepare to fail' and we did that we didnt prepare to attack this division during the summer when players were available. I do not know where the blame lies whether it be MM or the board only 2 people know the answer to that. MM and DK.

MM has gone and the other is now mentoring the new manager, I wonder when gates will dip below 5000 ?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
desprateseagull said:
so, whats gonna happen to the money 'saved' by taking DW on permanently..?(assuming the club had some budget for a higher profile manager..?

now that is a most astute post.

Assuming MM was on say £100k ( pure guesswork I know) and BB was on say £75k

DW maybe £30k and DWhite the same.

promotion to manager and assistant manager but only a small increase ( it happens in industry all the time) Say £55k and 35K, then the saving would be say £145k.

Now say we cover youth set up etc with current staffing, that money could be made available.

therefore Coke money 200k ( less wages paid and fee to Bury ) say 50k left over....money in pot for transfers...say 100k, that means DW should have £300k to play with.

I personally dont think that is too bad for a struggling divi 3 side.

My concern is that if the crowds keep falling, this money will go to shore up the finances

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
Youth set up changed when Wilkins was promoted. I'd also imagine that Wilkins may well want to bring in another body within the coaching set up. I would hazard a guess that the only job not replaced will be Booker's.

Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

Icy Gull said:
Harsh in the extreme even if you take the view that MM should have been sacked last season. He brought us a promotion, which in your next post you credit Knight with, and kept us in the Championship against the odds. Ok last season was shit but this year we looked like being exactly what DK wanted, a midtable team. We now look odds on for relegation, not that i wish to blame DW in anyway I add.

Knight and the board must take some responsibilty for our decline except in the eyes of all but the most myopic fans. The main reason may be money but they are certainly not all down to MM. More like the legacy of Archer and the delays on Falmer

All very well, but the point some people were making, was that MM should have been dumped when the going was getting rough with him. Harsh, but then one man is not bigger than the club, and BHA should be as selfish as necessary now. The feeling that we ight have 'owed MM something' is bollocks when compared to plummetting fortunes. He took us up, but should have been sacked before he could take us down.

Forfuxsake Knight, you had better see the writing on the wall before we lose league status, or ALL your work in saving the club will have been a waste.
It's alright being honourable, but at the expense of our club? Not quite as worthy of knight-hood.

the Realist

Feb 5, 2006
Dave the Gaffer said:
now that is a most astute post.

Assuming MM was on say £100k ( pure guesswork I know) and BB was on say £75k

DW maybe £30k and DWhite the same.

promotion to manager and assistant manager but only a small increase ( it happens in industry all the time) Say £55k and 35K, then the saving would be say £145k.

Now say we cover youth set up etc with current staffing, that money could be made available.

therefore Coke money 200k ( less wages paid and fee to Bury ) say 50k left over....money in pot for transfers...say 100k, that means DW should have £300k to play with.

I personally dont think that is too bad for a struggling divi 3 side.

My concern is that if the crowds keep falling, this money will go to shore up the finances

you need to subtract the payouts to McGhee and Booker

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
the Realist said:
you need to subtract the payouts to McGhee and Booker

what is the normal payoff do you recon...£20k each?

NMH said:
If it was that simple, then managers that we have had since Withdean would all have failed. The fact is, they didn't, and we have the likes of Adams, Coppout, and (to some extent) Taylor to compare with.

I really did address this point.

The directors in the early years were able to give the playing squad the financial flexibility to get us the results on the pitch, overcoming to some extent the huge annual losses of Withdean. But it is pretty clear to me they can no longer do that so many years down the road - it stands to reason, there is not an unlimited pot of money they are willing to put in and what little they have is now subsidising the final push for Falmer.

Dick Knight admitted at the Fans Forum a couple of months ago that Micky Adams had more financial flexibility than Mark McGhee. When the chairman says that, you can believe it, because it's not exactly in his interests to reveal that he is giving the manager little money, is it?

Of course, if you think the anti-McGhee drivel is a more convincing explanation, then scapegoat away.

Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

ROSM said:
IAs for the haewsy/DK question. A good question but one that nobody should really expect an answer to.

It was a tart question by Hawes but he is always a very fair guy to the Albion for a Swindon fan! Dick Knight should have answered it positively referring to Wilkins qualities as a manager and affinity with the young squad, rather than showing he was rattled by the question of money.

Ernest said:
Funny how Colchester can thrive in front of 5000 fans in a tinpot, ramshackle ground isn't it ?

In the Championship you mean? Steady, they've been there 2 months now, they'll be doing very well to match our two years.

BensGrandad said:
On a pure financial basis if what you are saying is the crux of the matter we would have done better to have negotiated a deal to share a league ground paying a rent and having the gate receipts ourselves thus having more income to pay for better players to achieve a better standard of play.

Was DK right to bring us back to Brighton based only on the financial situation as you describe it. The answer would have to be no.

You can't be serious. We would probably have died if the club has remained many miles away from Brighton these past ten years.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

ROSM said:
II do however believe that rightly or wrongly, we had a better squad last year than the year before but failed to stay up.

Nope, we had no one last year to replace the inspirational role that Virgo played for us. Just count the points he earnt for us with his goals and you virtually have the points difference between the two seasons.

Dave the Gaffer said:
what is the normal payoff do you recon...£20k each?

:lolol:

I can imagine the scene now.

DK: "We owe you in excess of £100k, will you accept £20k?"

MM: "Of course I will Dick, the love of the fans and the support of the board was worth far more to me than money."

Last edited:

Harty

Jul 7, 2003
Sussex
McGhee's payout in the summer was rumoured to be 250k and that came from within the club, so just what they paid him last month is anyones guess.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

London Irish said:
You can't be serious. We would probably have died if the club has remained many miles away from Brighton these past ten years.

I did say on a pure financial basis we would have probably earnt more money. Yes we would probably have gone the way of MK Dons. Much as I wouldnt have liked it and wanted it because this is my club but I could understand the logic behind such a move as I am not going to be alive supporting the club for ever and new young supporters will take my place and in 60 years time will be in the same position as myself.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
London Irish said:
:lolol:

I can imagine the scene now.

DK: "We owe you in excess of £100k, will you accept £20k?"

MM: "Of course I will Dick, the love of the fans and the support of the board was worth far more to me than money."

You really are a pompous wanker arn't you

Perhaps we should all give up and you run the club....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here