Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

Bakesy said:
Maybe, but as a club, can we afford to plummett through this division and end up in the bottom tier of league football.That's where we are heading i'm afraid.It's not down to the manager, we coud have any manager at the helm and we'd still be shit.
The bottom line is that our players are not good enough, even for this division.Unless we strengthen the team considerably, we will find ourselves bottom of the league and crowds will diminish even further.
We need serious investment, and we need it NOW, or i believe this club will fold.
Dick Knight saved this club,but he has taken this club as far as he can, it's now time for a change at the top.

When did you start talking sense? :p

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
empire said:
cant fault what he has done for this club,but he cant take it any further,and lets be honest he has never had money to pump into it has he?

He just seems to do the basic things wrong, the cub shop for example is a joke.

Bakesy

Farting for ENGLAND!!!
Feb 13, 2005
How would i know?I'm pissed.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

Withdean Wanderer said:
When did you start talking sense? :p
Sorry:down:

sagaman

Dec 25, 2005
Brighton
THE WITHDEAN FATCOR- Bo.....s!!!!!!!!

I am sick of THE WITHDEAN FACTOR being used as an excuse for poor performance

Surely when we were winning under Mickey Adams and the place was a bit of a fortress THE WITHDEAN FACTOR was part of our winning recipe

Hunting 784561

Jul 8, 2003
Withdean has diddly squat to do with attracting players to the club.

Like most people they are mainly motivated by the money a club is prepared to pay them.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Smart Mart said:
Withdean has diddly squat to do with attracting players to the club.

Like most people they are mainly motivated by the money a club is prepared to pay them.
Spotus Onus.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Dave the Gaffer said:
When questioned TWICE by Harty, he was asked if he thought when you look around Withdean, you as a player would not come to teh club based on that.

He TWICE said that the Withdean as a ground was not a factor they would think about.

Interesting point when we had been fed the line that players didnt want to come here because of teh "Withdean factor"

Also point on the Hawsey interview with DK...H asked him if money was a factor in appointing DW...he said he didnt want to answer such a ludicrous question...well sorry DK, everyone I spoke to at the ground reconed DW was the cheap option.

Well Mr Knight Looks like the message you are trying to get over to the fans is starting to evaporate

I managed to hear this bit and I thought Mcfarland came across really well.

However, he was asked a question about what is it like to play at withers and he then spent a good while explaining why it benefits away teams. That's hardly going to attract people to play there 23 times a season is it?

he was then asked about if he as an 18 year old would come here. That however is not the question - we dont want or need more 18 year olds we need some 26 or 27 year olds. I think McGhee spent too much time trying to get championship players in for this season. what we needed was good league 1 players - you only need to have the best at your level. That's what Adams did.

Unfortunately with the transfer window closed we can only bring in those with no club, or short term loans. That means we will have great difficulties bringing in the players we need - but we might get some oldies and more youngsters though

:shootself

As for the haewsy/DK question. A good question but one that nobody should really expect an answer to. Otherwise it would be, 'well done Dean, you've got the job just because your cheap'. Great motivation! It's obvious cost is a factor, otherwise we'd have got Phil Scolari. Just how big a factor though remains to be seen. If as stated above, we cannot because of the timing bring in experienced players, we need to make the best with the youth and that is where Wilkins is the best that we can get.

It will take many years I think, to exorcise the ghosts of the McGhee era.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

Ernest said:
It will take even longer to exorcise the ghosts of the Dick Tight era

how I want those two championships and play off final exorcised!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Re: Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

London Irish said:

I'm sorry, but it all comes back to Withdean being shit. Better than Gillingham, yes, but still dragging this club towards League 2 because the board cannot keep making up for the accumulated losses at a shit ground in the manner they did in the early years at Withdean.

On a pure financial basis if what you are saying is the crux of the matter we would have done better to have negotiated a deal to share a league ground paying a rent and having the gate receipts ourselves thus having more income to pay for better players to achieve a better standard of play.

Was DK right to bring us back to Brighton based only on the financial situation as you describe it. The answer would have to be no.

It must therefore be assumed that in making this decision DK and the board, who must not be forgotten, knew full well of the implications and problems that Withdean would bring although obviously they couldnt have calculated that it would have been for such a long period, although at the time I said that we would be here for at least 5 years. It therefore would not be appropriate to put the entire blame on our poor performances and decline down to 'The Withdean Factor'. There must be other major contributary factors.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

ROSM said:

It will take many years I think, to exorcise the ghosts of the McGhee era.

Harsh in the extreme even if you take the view that MM should have been sacked last season. He brought us a promotion, which in your next post you credit Knight with, and kept us in the Championship against the odds. Ok last season was shit but this year we looked like being exactly what DK wanted, a midtable team. We now look odds on for relegation, not that i wish to blame DW in anyway I add.

Knight and the board must take some responsibilty for our decline except in the eyes of all but the most myopic fans. The main reason may be money but they are certainly not all down to MM. More like the legacy of Archer and the delays on Falmer

Last edited:

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN

ROSM said:
how I want those two championships and play off final exorcised!

Now you are talking shit, first championship down to Adams and Zamora , second championship down to Zamora and Taylor, Play off down to Coppells team not messed up by McGhee and Leon Knight.
Dick Tight responsible for chaos off the pitch.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

London Irish said:
Come off it, he was being polite. He was a guest on the show and his team had just won. Of course he was not going to lay into Withdean.

On the same phone-in, Williams described Withdean as "weird". That would be a good thing?

sitting next to him, he was not being "polite". he stated a very thought out point about the ground, the distance between supporters and players and made the point twice that in his opinion, the ground was not an issue.....but there again, he is a manager, a former england player and all round legend, of course and you are not...but hey, you know best of course.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Being fair ade, theat was the question asked, whether you think it the right question or not.

There was some suggestion by certain people around yesterday that the reason the arsenal youngsters who were coming down last year didnt come was they took a look at the ground and decided that playing reserve team footy at Arsenal was preferable......according to Mcfarland, that was obviously not an issue if you want to play for a club!

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

Icy Gull said:
Harsh in the extreme even if you take the view that MM should have been sacked last season. He brought us a promotion, which in your next post you credit Knight with, and kept us in the Championship against the odds. Ok last season was shit but this year we looked like being exactly what DK wanted, a midtable team. We now look odds on for relegation, not that i wish to blame DW in anyway I add.

Knight and the board must take some responsibilty for our decline except in the eyes of all but the most myopic fans. The main reason may be money but they are certainly not all down to MM. More like the legacy of Archer and the delays on Falmer

I don't credit knight with promotion - I state that it occurred during his time as chairman. McGhee was manager and his tactics got us through.

I do however believe that rightly or wrongly, we had a better squad last year than the year before but failed to stay up. we had the opposite of synergy when the sum of the parts was greater than the whole. The apathy of potential supporters is in no large part down to last seasons performances.

as for money - I know for a fact that at least one championship striker had his money matched by us and his club agreed a fee. he chose not to come as he had just bought a new house near his club and in his words 'wouldn't risk all that to drop a division and play at withdean in front of 6000'.

My view is that Mcghee planned wrong in the summer and we shouldn't have been looking at championship standard but more like best of league 1.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Roy Mcfarlands point on the phone in

Ernest said:
Now you are talking shit, first championship down to Adams and Zamora , second championship down to Zamora and Taylor, Play off down to Coppells team not messed up by McGhee and Leon Knight.
Dick Tight responsible for chaos off the pitch.

but who brought in admas, zamora, taylor, coppell and mcghee. I am talking about exorcising the 2+ years of mcghee. You are talking about exorcising 10 years of Knight.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Dave the Gaffer said:
Being fair ade, theat was the question asked, whether you think it the right question or not.

There was some suggestion by certain people around yesterday that the reason the arsenal youngsters who were coming down last year didnt come was they took a look at the ground and decided that playing reserve team footy at Arsenal was preferable......according to Mcfarland, that was obviously not an issue if you want to play for a club!

i'm not criticising the question, merely saying that to now quote mcfarland, you have to understand the context in which he answered.

I think the real reason and withdean is a factor, is that to do half you work there is a big difference to once a season. RM clearly stated how good it is for an away manager now they've sussed it.

Why join a team who is handicapped for half a season?

The ground issue we could overcome if the atmosphere improved but it is the same reason why fans dont come to withdean so atmosphere suffers too. You made that very point yesterday.

Quite simply, why play in front of 5000 for us at withdean? For 18 year olds it is less of an argument, but for 26 and 27 year olds it is a more obvious issue.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

ROSM said:
I
My view is that Mcghee planned wrong in the summer and we shouldn't have been looking at championship standard but more like best of league 1.

But you did say it would take years to exorcise the McGhee legacy? Assuming MM did plan badly for this season as we didn't sign anyone the money must still be there. We still have most of the season to go so the position is not irretrievable If DW is the man for the job then DK will give him that money and he can plan accordingly. If he does his job we will survive and the youngters will have a years experience and hopefully fulfil their potential in a decent team the next season. In this case the crowds will flock back, as thay always do when we are winning, and we will have exorcised MM's legacy in a year, no?

I am taking your "know for a fact" about money offered that it is really there to be spent. Time will tell, but I remain sceptical.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here