Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rovers fan here, just got back from Eastbourne/Brightion

drfcemma

Aug 8, 2011
Hi Rovers fan here, I’ve just got back to Doncaster after stopping in Eastbourne since Friday (which was recommended on our forum by a Seagulls fan) I’ve never been to that part of England before and had a good time, even though we brought the Yorkshire weather down with us!

I’d just like to say, what a fantastic set of fans and stadium you have got. Unfortunately I am not old enough to know what happened at the Goldstone ground as I’d have only been about 5 at the time but my dad has told me all about it, even so tears came to my eyes when John Ryan presented the plaque on Saturday and when the players came out to mark a milestone for you and I am glad I was there to witness it. Everyone around the ground was friendly and we shook hands and chatted with several fans as well as the head policeman for you, he welcomed us to the ground and stood talking to us for 10 minutes. As for your ground, my brother kept repeating ‘this is a premiership set up’ it was single-handedly the best food I have ever eaten at a football ground with real meat and a salad in a burger, the padded seats were fantastic and the atmosphere was amazing as it bounced off the walls. Everything was so well organised and has to be one of the best grounds I have been to.

Despite the result and the injuries to Sharp and Hayter (which are still yet to be confirmed as to how bad and a time length) I thought that the game was good, our usual second half syndrome kicked in and we decided not to turn up, we could see your goals coming right from the off and knew we would lose. At the time it looked like Lua Lua dived in the penalty box but after looking at the replays Hayter got his foot behind Lua Lua before getting the ball so the yellow card shouldn’t have happened. The only disappointment I felt was when the fans started booing when Sharp went down when he was clearly in a lot of pain but Billy and James Hayter are not the type of people who stay down for no reason and this was shown when Billy tried to get up, the lad would have tried to run it off if it meant he could stay on the pitch.

All in all, the odds were always stacked against us for this game, you have just got promoted with a brand new ground and if it was us in that situation we would expect to win and we did when we got promoted and moved into the Keepmoat so there is little to complain about. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and even standing in the long train queue back to Eastbourne proved good banter with the home fans.

I wish you all the best for this season and sincerely hope you stay up because I would love to come back to the Amex and I’m sure the large majority of Rovers fans would agree.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
thanks mate, the booing was not directed at Sharp for being injured, but more the time it took to get the stretcher on.

Wish you all the best for the season.

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
Hi Rovers fan here, I’ve just got back to Doncaster after stopping in Eastbourne since Friday (which was recommended on our forum by a Seagulls fan) I’ve never been to that part of England before and had a good time, even though we brought the Yorkshire weather down with us!

I’d just like to say, what a fantastic set of fans and stadium you have got. Unfortunately I am not old enough to know what happened at the Goldstone ground as I’d have only been about 5 at the time but my dad has told me all about it, even so tears came to my eyes when John Ryan presented the plaque on Saturday and when the players came out to mark a milestone for you and I am glad I was there to witness it. Everyone around the ground was friendly and we shook hands and chatted with several fans as well as the head policeman for you, he welcomed us to the ground and stood talking to us for 10 minutes. As for your ground, my brother kept repeating ‘this is a premiership set up’ it was single-handedly the best food I have ever eaten at a football ground with real meat and a salad in a burger, the padded seats were fantastic and the atmosphere was amazing as it bounced off the walls. Everything was so well organised and has to be one of the best grounds I have been to.

Despite the result and the injuries to Sharp and Hayter (which are still yet to be confirmed as to how bad and a time length) I thought that the game was good, our usual second half syndrome kicked in and we decided not to turn up, we could see your goals coming right from the off and knew we would lose. At the time it looked like Lua Lua dived in the penalty box but after looking at the replays Hayter got his foot behind Lua Lua before getting the ball so the yellow card shouldn’t have happened. The only disappointment I felt was when the fans started booing when Sharp went down when he was clearly in a lot of pain but Billy and James Hayter are not the type of people who stay down for no reason and this was shown when Billy tried to get up, the lad would have tried to run it off if it meant he could stay on the pitch.

All in all, the odds were always stacked against us for this game, you have just got promoted with a brand new ground and if it was us in that situation we would expect to win and we did when we got promoted and moved into the Keepmoat so there is little to complain about. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip and even standing in the long train queue back to Eastbourne proved good banter with the home fans.

I wish you all the best for this season and sincerely hope you stay up because I would love to come back to the Amex and I’m sure the large majority of Rovers fans would agree.

Thanks! Really glad it was Donny for the first game and hope you have a great season.

Nice post - but hoping that we stay up is a little rich. The bookies have you finishing about 15 places below us (bottom) and we already have 3 points more than you.

For whatever the reason, it is unlikely we will be in the same division next year and maybe a chance there will be 2 leagues between us.

However, you are a great bunch. Was very sad to hear the boos when your players were injured and I hope they get well soon.

I think I will make a trip to the Keepmoat in the new year :)

drfcemma

Aug 8, 2011
The bookies have tipped us to be bottom or thereabouts every season since we got promoted and we prove them wrong each season but this season I fear we may struggle, we have been punching above our weight since we got promoted and I would take 4th from bottom again this season, we had a lengthy injury list last season, but to start this season with 7 first team players out and 2 more after Saturday with our number one striker out, it doesn't look too good from the off. As for you, your number one priority is to stay up, 21st place is fantastic, anything else is a bonus to improve upon year on year.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
The bookies have tipped us to be bottom or thereabouts every season since we got promoted and we prove them wrong each season but this season I fear we may struggle, we have been punching above our weight since we got promoted and I would take 4th from bottom again this season, we had a lengthy injury list last season, but to start this season with 7 first team players out and 2 more after Saturday with our number one striker out, it doesn't look too good from the off. As for you, your number one priority is to stay up, 21st place is fantastic, anything else is a bonus to improve upon year on year.

Agree with you there ... lets stay up 1st and then worry about the rest

Were you guys not dam close to the playoffs with a couple of games to go, the season before last?

drfcemma

Aug 8, 2011
Yeah we was, since the Championship we've finished 14th, 12th and 21st. The second season was our best, we went on a really good run as we'd managed to get Sharp on loan and the goals came, since signing him we've really put all our eggs in one basket and his injury last season meant we finished one place above relegation so we're just hoping this injury wont have the same impact. We've managed to sign Giles Barnes and Chris Brown who should hopefully fill Billy's shoes while he recovers so that we can stay in this league.

oh ah stantona

Oct 19, 2008
To be fair to Donny i think there will be a fair few teams finishing below u....ur gaffer no's his stuff you play football the right way...u have a certain Mr Sharp who will score for fun...im not going to patronize by saying your a nice little club...you have earned the right to be playing at this level by playing attractive football and have the nickname of Arsenal in the championship...all power to you...good luck and all the best...i remember the game at the goldstone and the support your fans showed us that day...and will never hear a bad word against you...all the best

Worthai Seagull

Wenners
May 11, 2009
Worthing/ Hua Hin,Thailand
Nice post - but hoping that we stay up is a little rich. The bookies have you finishing about 15 places below us (bottom) and we already have 3 points more than you.

For whatever the reason, it is unlikely we will be in the same division next year and maybe a chance there will be 2 leagues between us.

However, you are a great bunch. Was very sad to hear the boos when your players were injured and I hope they get well soon.

I think I will make a trip to the Keepmoat in the new year :)

Nice post and you have to go and spoil it by being rude to a very nice Donny supporter. Didnt have a bad word to say, and yet you did. There is absolutely no reason why Donny wont be in the Championship next season, and your arrogance ,suggesting that they will be relegated is breathtaking. For the first half of the match on Saturday , they were the better team..dont forget that. It is ONE game into the season !!!

Nice post and you have to go and spoil it by being rude to a very nice Donny supporter. Didnt have a bad word to say, and yet you did. There is absolutely no reason why Donny wont be in the Championship next season, and your arrogance ,suggesting that they will be relegated is breathtaking. For the first half of the match on Saturday , they were the better team..dont forget that. It is ONE game into the season !!!

You really are a brain dead moron. I have done nothing but praise the Donny fans, both in person on Saturday and via this and their message board. All I did in my reply was pick up on his comment that he hoped WE stay up. I was simply pointing out that if we are to meet again next season it is Donny who may have more concerns about staying up. And I then temper this further by pointing out that rather than my own arrogant opinion, it is the bookies that have them finishing bottom and us about 15 places higher.

The poster has even replied to my post, as others did too. No one else thought it was in bad taste - not even the Donny fan. You have entered this conversation about 3h after it started, and your opinion is well, simply wrong!

Waynflete

Nov 10, 2009
You really are a brain dead moron. I have done nothing but praise the Donny fans, both in person on Saturday and via this and their message board. All I did in my reply was pick up on his comment that he hoped WE stay up. I was simply pointing out that if we are to meet again next season it is Donny who may have more concerns about staying up. And I then temper this further by pointing out that rather than my own arrogant opinion, it is the bookies that have them finishing bottom and us about 15 places higher.

The poster has even replied to my post, as others did too. No one else thought it was in bad taste - not even the Donny fan. You have entered this conversation about 3h after it started, and your opinion is well, simply wrong!

I reckon drfcemma is likely to be a 'she', but just guessing!

The Bear

Dec 21, 2010

drfcemma

I'm guessing this might be a chick?

edit: tick tock :facepalm:

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010

Cheers fella

I am sorry that there has been so much negativity since the game so no point in extending that any further.

Suffice to say that I, like most Albion fans, were sorry that there was any injury to any player on either side.

That apart, pleased you enjoyed your visit to Sussex and hope you will be returning next year (in the Championship that is)

Best

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.

For whatever the reason, it is unlikely we will be in the same division next year and maybe a chance there will be 2 leagues between us. :)

There was me wondering why so many clubs have started calling our fans arrogant and deluded.

If you think that they are going down then we will, I guess, find the championship tough.

Yeah we was, since the Championship we've finished 14th, 12th and 21st. The second season was our best, we went on a really good run as we'd managed to get Sharp on loan and the goals came, since signing him we've really put all our eggs in one basket and his injury last season meant we finished one place above relegation so we're just hoping this injury wont have the same impact. We've managed to sign Giles Barnes and Chris Brown who should hopefully fill Billy's shoes while he recovers so that we can stay in this league.

Good luck drfc, despite some arrogance I've seen about how we would beat Rovers "easy', we only just nicked it at the end to our great relief.
I think you can do better than just survive, but will watch your results now and wish you the best.

Cheers

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here