Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roundabout protocol

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Two things:

If I'm approaching a roundabout and it's obvious that a car is turning right on the roundabout WITHOUT indicating, I tend to pull out in front of them and do a 'blinking indicator' hand signal to them, which they invariably love :angry:

and

My sister, who has been driving about twenty five years less than me, argued that if approaching a roundabout where all roads on the approach and exit are two lanes, you can turn right from the left hand lane and turn left from the right hand lane!

The only flaw being that two cars side by side would in all probability collide :ohmy:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You need to be observant as road signs and road markings may give information as to which lane to be in approaching roundabouts. Local councils will change lane priorities and protocol if they think it will improve safety at accident blackspots.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
...and ALWAYS indicate to leave the roundabout.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
You clearly stay in the left lane if you're going straight on. Anything past 12 o'clock is mental. No wonder there are crashes on the roads with you crazy people going straight on from the right lane.
Have you ever used the Kingston runabout on the Lewes by-pass ?
If everyone followed your advice rush hour would last 3 hours each way.
4 lanes out of Brighton, 1 left, 2 middle straight on, and 1 right for turning right.

Brighton bound, both lanes are used for straight on.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Have you ever used the Kingston runabout on the Lewes by-pass ?
If everyone followed your advice rush hour would last 3 hours each way.
4 lanes out of Brighton, 1 left, 2 middle straight on, and 1 right for turning right.

Brighton bound, both lanes are used for straight on.

I thought it was three lanes out of Brighton? Left lane for turning left, centre lane for straight on and right lane for straight on/turning right?

I know they re-modelled the roundabout, but don't think they added a lane?

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Stay in the left hand lane if you are going left or straight on. Right hand lane if you're going right of 12 o clock.

That's what I was taught (4 years ago)

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Highway Code. Pick the bones out of this...

Roundabouts (184-190) : Directgov - Travel and transport

dg_070540.jpg

Thats pretty much the way i go round.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

Taken from another thread. This will do your head in.

Domsdad

brother of Patch
Sep 24, 2003
Its grim up north
Someone should try telling the locals over here what a roundabout is. No one has a clue what to do. Most folk stop is something bigger approaches from any angle and carry on if the other vehicle is smaller.
Come to think of it, thats pretty much the only rule of the Thailand highway code and covers all circumstances.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I was in a car with an American the other day and she was confused by the fact that we approached the roundabout and indicated right to take the exit on the right. She seemed to think you were supposed to indicate left to go on to the roundabout and then indicate in the direction you want to go. I tried to explain how stupid and confusing that would be but she was having none of it. Maybe this is what they get taught in the US, although I doubt many people encounter a roundabout when they are learning to drive.

*sigh*

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Why do 90% of drivers who have a complete understanding of how to navigate a roundabout have a complete mental breakdown when faced with a mini roundabout (lump in the road) especially within a shopping centre carpark.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Why do 90% of drivers who have a complete understanding of how to navigate a roundabout have a complete mental breakdown when faced with a mini roundabout (lump in the road) especially within a shopping centre carpark.

When I was 17 and driving in my first car (a Ford Fiesta), I had a car full of passengers and drove straight over a mini roundabout hump.

Everyone except me (who knew it was coming) walloped their heads on the roof of the car - Scooby-Doo style - and starting whinging and grizzling like girls. Utterly dense now, but was funny back then.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
I was in a car with an American the other day and she was confused by the fact that we approached the roundabout and indicated right to take the exit on the right. She seemed to think you were supposed to indicate left to go on to the roundabout and then indicate in the direction you want to go. I tried to explain how stupid and confusing that would be but she was having none of it. Maybe this is what they get taught in the US, although I doubt many people encounter a roundabout when they are learning to drive.

*sigh*

They don't have roundabouts in the US though, do they ? I don't think I've ever come across one on their roads.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
They don't have roundabouts in the US though, do they ? I don't think I've ever come across one on their roads.

I saw a few when I was over there in March, it did make me chuckle seeing people approach and not really having a clue what to do

cardboard

Jul 8, 2003
Mile Oak
In the mornings i go down Fox way (portslade) and go straight ahead towards Hangleton and always stay in the left lane. Bloody hundreds go straight ahead from the right lane. It gets right on my nerves - but why are there no signs approaching the roundabout?

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
In the mornings i go down Fox way (portslade) and go straight ahead towards Hangleton and always stay in the left lane. Bloody hundreds go straight ahead from the right lane. It gets right on my nerves - but why are there no signs approaching the roundabout?

Funny that i have the same problem coming down Fox way,what tend to do is when i get over the r/about if i see a car trying it on i tend to ease over and force them to go all the way round.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Tell you what is another FAVE

You know the junction when you come off the southbound A23 onto the A27 - big sweeping left turn with 2 lanes. The left lane is always chocka with traffic bearing left to take the turn towards Portslade / Worthing. There is NOTHING WRONG with flying up the outside lane round that corner and STILL taking the left turn towards Worthing/Portslade, as the sliproad going down onto the A27 is two lanes. Big, wide lanes.

But the number of DUNDERHEADS who go up that outside lane and then start trying to barge their way into the inside lane to turn left, when they can STILL turn left at the top before crossing the bridge by simply staying in the same lane, just defies belief. I've seen people almost STOPPING to try to get into that left lane, totally unnecessarily.

Tch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here