Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roundabout protocol

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
If you want bad riving (and why would you) try living in Perth and then you would have something to complain about. FFS, there are some shoddy drivers here with roundabouts and pulling out in front of you from a side road not quite topping the list behind merging - and don't get me started on the average West Australian's total inability to understand the concept of one from the left then one from the right.....
Behind

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Here's another one for you. I've been told that you are now taught that if you if you have overtaken another on a dual/multi carriageway you do not have to indicate to come back into the nearest available lane as that is what you are expected to do. Is that T or F?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
It depends how I feel. If I feel that I need to indicate I will, this would be in the dark or rain or if the road is busy. If the road is quiet and I am far enough in front of my victim I will not indicate.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
Tell you what is another FAVE

You know the junction when you come off the southbound A23 onto the A27 - big sweeping left turn with 2 lanes. The left lane is always chocka with traffic bearing left to take the turn towards Portslade / Worthing. There is NOTHING WRONG with flying up the outside lane round that corner and STILL taking the left turn towards Worthing/Portslade, as the sliproad going down onto the A27 is two lanes. Big, wide lanes.

But the number of DUNDERHEADS who go up that outside lane and then start trying to barge their way into the inside lane to turn left, when they can STILL turn left at the top before crossing the bridge by simply staying in the same lane, just defies belief. I've seen people almost STOPPING to try to get into that left lane, totally unnecessarily.

Tch.

So it's not just me that finds that unexceptable,mrs champ moans when i shout at people for doing that.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Women are notable by their absence from this thread...

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I took my test 37 years ago and yes, I say stay right unless you're taking the first exit. However, who's seen 'The Magic Roundabout' at Hemel Hemstead ? There's a similar abomination in Swindon.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I took my test 37 years ago and yes, I say stay right unless you're taking the first exit. However, who's seen 'The Magic Roundabout' at Hemel Hemstead ? There's a similar abomination in Swindon.

Thank you bhaexpress, I thought I was the only old skool driver on here for a while. Looks like the law or the Highway Code more precisely may have left us behind though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Everything. They know EVERYTHING.

Apparently.

Well, they certainly know how to apply some lippy using the rear view mirror rather than bothering with lanes on roundabouts.
"They're all the SAME arn't they ?"

(now, wheres that fishing rod)

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
My sister, who has been driving about twenty five years less than me, argued that if approaching a roundabout where all roads on the approach and exit are two lanes, you can turn right from the left hand lane and turn left from the right hand lane!

The only flaw being that two cars side by side would in all probability collide :ohmy:

Yes, she is clearly a dippy female who hasn't thought this through

Have you ever used the Kingston runabout on the Lewes by-pass ?
If everyone followed your advice rush hour would last 3 hours each way.
4 lanes out of Brighton, 1 left, 2 middle straight on, and 1 right for turning right.

Brighton bound, both lanes are used for straight on.

Indeed, you're answering your own arguement. If there's 2 lanes on and 2 lanes off clearly you can go straight on from either lane, SO LONG AS YOU COME OFF IN THE LANE YOU CAME ON IN.

To be fair the obvious answer is to take the left lane for anything up to and including straight on, right lane for anything past that. Although to be fair i'm with Badger, if you take an aggressive route from the right lane and can do it without cutting someone up there's no harm taking the right lane for a straight on, just be prepared to bail out if you're gonna cut someone up cos you are in the wrong.

Just as a matter of interest are you old folks who take the right lane to go straight on not just getting confused with the fact that most over 60's approach in the left, cut accross to the right mid roundabout, and then back to the left to come off! :p

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Just as a matter of interest are you old folks who take the right lane to go straight on not just getting confused with the fact that most over 60's approach in the left, cut accross to the right mid roundabout, and then back to the left to come off! /QUOTE]

No! Cos I've just hammered down the outside lane, overtaking lippy kids in underpowered, pimped up Novas' with baked bean cans used as tail pipes. :guns:

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis

msn_magic_roundabout_470x350.jpg

One of the best tourists attractions in Swindon, and just a stones throw away from the County Ground.

:clap:

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Here's another one for you. I've been told that you are now taught that if you if you have overtaken another on a dual/multi carriageway you do not have to indicate to come back into the nearest available lane as that is what you are expected to do. Is that T or F?
Simple rule, is if you are going to change direction then indicate it.

I indicate every direction change.

My pet hate is the one where they actually start to change lane as they indicate, with just one or two flashes of the indicators ,wankers.

I was taught that Indicators were to let other road user know What you going to do, not what your doing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here