Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I think i had enough intelligence to want to play like some footballers but not be like them. The same as i wish i had the textural brushstrokes of Van Gogh without cutting off my ear at any stage. I don't like Rooney and dislike his success, but him swearing sometimes doesn't paint the picture of the person i have little respect for. It's other elements of him and the fact he plays for Man Utd.
I don't think kids are as idiotic and susceptible as some people think.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The guy is a Grade A intellectually challenged scouse northern fuckwit. No-one ever accused a footballer of having a brain, but in shreks case he has special needs. Ugly little twat that spends 90 minutes on the pitch in the refs ear, even if it's 90 yards from where he was, did you see him dive in the pen box and quickly get up because what he did was embarrassing? He's a cheat to. England don't need him, this was proved the other night. And people go awn and awn and awn about JT when we have this complete tosser in our midst. I hope he has a career finishing injury asap ... I hate him.

Race

The Tank Rules!
Aug 28, 2004
Hampshire
martin samuel from the mail summed it up for me when he said that, to get to the top of the pro game, you have to go through a thousand odd games where it is brutally survival of the fittest. you are used to seeing best friends having their hearts broken and having to ignore that to the point of losing that friendship to get to your goal. aggression and pressure is heaped on you from an early age and, then, when you do make it, everyone wants you to be a saint.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
I know I don't.

It's a nice idea that kids look to their parents as role models, but it isn't that simple. If you want to grow up to be a top striker, who do you pattern your football on: your overweight dad who hasn't kicked a ball since he was at school 20 years ago, or wayne rooney, who has made a success of it?

We don't have one single role model, we have a range of them covering various aspects of who we are and who we want to be.

When people go on about how his thuggish behaviour is how he expresses his passion and if you suppress that you suppress his talent, it sends the message to a kid (who might show all the civility of his parents off the pitch and in all other aspects of his life) that you need to get angry with the ref every time he makes a decision against you, that anger and foul language is part of what it takes to achieve what Rooney has.

I agree to a degree when people talk about footballers being role models when talking about their private lives I'd say you have a point, but when it comes to what they do on the pitch, it is important. Kids will try to emulate what they see on the pitch, and in this instance, and generally when talking about what players do on a pitch, the role model argument is entirely relevant.

Never ever saw the greatest footballer in the world (Pele) swear or abuse the referee,he did'nt need too and he had talent galore,Bobby Moore another one...the list is endless...just because you're a talented footballer you don't have to act like a moron and swear into everyones television.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Fergie's half time talk......" and as for you ,ya f***ing baldy , ginger, granny shagging , greedy little ,120 thou a week , scuose kaaaaaaaaaaant........get yer shyte tagather or yer off tae Celtic........dya copy....????

don't mind fergie . Rooney is an utter knob .

Brighton M

Banned
Sep 22, 2006
Lancing
Not the first time I've heard a footballer sweat when celebrating a goal, although admittedly it isn't usually directly at the camera. However, it's Rooney, so everyone makes a meal out of it. Tedious.

Having said that, it's such a shame that England's best player by a mile is such a disgusting man. What an idiot.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I think many defending him have missed the point.

It's not the fact you hear swearing. Everyone accepts that at football you will hear swearing. Be it from the crowd, the managers on a Pitchside microphone or the players again on a mic by the goal. That's ok.

What Rooney did was walk TO the camera and start effing a blinding directly to it.

Yes he wasn't doing it TO someone as such, but the whole purpose of the camera is to beam the match. He was aggressive and stupid and should have realised that he was directly shouting abuse AT the viewers. It was intententional and is not even remotely comparative with just 'swearing a bit' and it being overheard.

Nothing to do with 'relieving stress'

If im stressed I don't grab someone and shout in their face. You shout it indirectly.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Isn't swearing at a camera the same as swearing on a computer screen? We'd be lambasting the rival fan who appears on NSC to talk moronically about how gay we are or how we're too big for our britches, for talking dirty to the 400 readers who chanced upon it. Some of us snap back at such a sort, but it's unlikely anyone takes the wording of some idiot to heart as if they had any authority whatsoever over the world and its workings.
Best to take such stupidity with a pinch of salt. Otherwise we're trapped for eternity in an episode of That's Life, sermonising and polishing our vendetta-bloody swords of justice.

martin samuel from the mail summed it up for me when he said that, to get to the top of the pro game, you have to go through a thousand odd games where it is brutally survival of the fittest. you are used to seeing best friends having their hearts broken and having to ignore that to the point of losing that friendship to get to your goal. aggression and pressure is heaped on you from an early age and, then, when you do make it, everyone wants you to be a saint.

Role-modelling doesn't come with the package, then? I guess Rooney is just happy just to be a fat bastard that made it.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
his little spruik at the cameras after the algeria game will not be forgotten in a hurry........the guy is a first class wanker, end of.....sure he is a talented footballer but as a role model he is pox.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Never ever saw the greatest footballer in the world (Pele) swear or abuse the referee,he did'nt need too and he had talent galore,Bobby Moore another one...the list is endless...just because you're a talented footballer you don't have to act like a moron and swear into everyones television.

And most of the kids today who will be looking to be the best, looking to emulate "the best footballer this country has", "the first name on te shet fo utd and england" have never even seen pele play. They see Rooney swearing s he plays, and they see him face no retribution, and they see people excuse his more thuggish antics as "passion - if you take out the thuggish behaviour, you lose some of his talent".

I'm not saying him swearing is a major crime, or that every single child will try to copy him, I'm sure some will, some will be able to distinguish between the talent side of his game and the unacceptable side.

What I'm saying is the issue of Footballers v Parents as role models isn't a simple either/or argument. People will take some from one, and some from the other.

Aldo

Ruffian Revolution. STH.
Jul 15, 2008
Hove
He's a twat and all the names he has been called on here, yes.

But he's also a great footballer, one below world class in my opinion, and earns stupid amounts of money every week for playing his favorite sport, so do you think he gives a shit what people like us think about him? No. And why should he.

If someone wants to use him as a role model then so be it, he isn't asking anyone to be him. And if a relative of mine took after him and got as far in the game as he has, I wouldn't care less what he shouted at the camera.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I think i had enough intelligence to want to play like some footballers but not be like them. The same as i wish i had the textural brushstrokes of Van Gogh without cutting off my ear at any stage. I don't like Rooney and dislike his success, but him swearing sometimes doesn't paint the picture of the person i have little respect for. It's other elements of him and the fact he plays for Man Utd.
I don't think kids are as idiotic and susceptible as some people think.

And how's your professional football career going?

People don't go around excusing Van Gogh cutting of his ear explaining that cutting it off is integral to his ability to paint. It was unrelated. The experts explain that he had mental health problems and that was why he cut his ear off. The 'experts' don't disconnect Rooney's talent from his unsavoury behaviour. They are entwined, we are told time and again that Rooney is as talented as he is because of his passion and that passion is also why he loses his temper.

Some kids are smarter than we give them credit for, but some are as smart as we give them credit for and some less so.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
And how's your professional football career going?

Not too well, sadly, for different mental and physical health problems. Thanks for asking though. I'll be playing slightly one-leggedly tomorrow night at 9.15 if you want to come and watch. Bring some 'experts' with you as i'd be delighted to hear their opinion of me too. :)

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I do not agree with this. You could attach this idea to many professions, not to mention sports. Football always seems to be the sport where the players often act like animals/chavs/oiks though.

There is a rather compelling argument that Rooney is not as good as he is made out to be. These very pages have mentioned that he has never delivered at the sharp end of a tournament bar that Euros many moons ago. Banging in three against relegation fodder does not make him world class. Maybe the frustration is born out of this?

Last edited:

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Rooney is blessed to be a very good footballer. I dont beleive him to be stupid . He has come from a very poor part of Liverpool ,perhaps education was not a high priority (although that statment could be predudiced ). He is very well paid for his talent ,yet at times he lets us down ,as he did yesderday !Rooney will have to learn that ,that the world is not against him,but visa versa.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here