Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Surely that tirade against whoever or whatever is self evident of bringing the game into disrepute.

The following quote from The Guardian online says all you need to know

Sky – experts in corporate contrition after the Richard Keys/Andy Gray affair – apologised after Rooney had shouted "you f***ing beauty" into living rooms. In a week when "respect" has returned to the moral agenda, the Football Association said they would investigate Rooney's contribution, but charges are thought to be unlikely.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The issue will be complicated by a combination of the tribal nature of football ("people complaining are only doing so because they don't like utd" and people defending him because they are utd fans), and also because of the debate that came about years back when Gazza was heard swearing. It's "industrial language", football is "a working class man's game", hell look at the debates on here whenever the issue of swearing in the crowd takes place. "When I go to football I should be able to release the stress from working all week" etc.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
He looked at the camera and asked along the lines of "What the fcuk you looking at" a few times and a "fcuk of" thrown in as well, before they cut away.

No, no, apparently this sort of thing is all right. I read this in that thread about the mindless oafs in our end at Dagenham - if you don't like people behaving like this you should go away and follow a different sport. Apparently.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely that tirade against whoever or whatever is self evident of bringing the game into disrepute.

It's because he's passionate. If you took the total lack of self-control out of him he would not be the same player.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
you lot are all hypocrites....you all swear when a goal goes in.......

This is just another element of lack of respect. He is apparently a role model earning £120k plus per week. He should control that foul mouth of his. If he can't then Fergie should. If Fergie can't Then the club should take the hit, which may make a difference. No personal fines, if you employ someone who fails to act properly in the workplace then action should be taken by the employer, otherwise I reckon the liability should also be on the club, with points deductions, then the Utd fans will soon take care of him.

When i may swear on the odd occasion at the football I'll try not to do it too loudly so not to offend, but this pillock is a role model

cyanide-sid

May 20, 2010
Worthing
All this nonsense about role models. Rooney is a uncouth young ####, but a role model to who ? Not my son that is for sure. Role models come closer to home IMHO.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
All this nonsense about role models. Rooney is a uncouth young ####, but a role model to who ? Not my son that is for sure. Role models come closer to home IMHO.

Every misguided young kid who gets his parents to shell out £60 on a red shirt every year, the same kid then thinks it's big and clever to replicate his hero on a Sunday morning parks game, as he thinks that's the smart way to be.

Life would be fantastic if I was the only influencer on my kids lives, but unfortunately not. We can only play a part. Any I'm getting on my high horse now so will stop ranting.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath

Agree, I hate all this role model shit that gets spouted every time a footballer does something bad. That's more a pathetic reflection on society that we talk of people being role models when all they've done is have a talent for running around and kicking a ball :facepalm:

If they masses want to look at a northern pikey as a role model then we'll get everything we deserve in the future.

I actually love it when Rooney does stuff like this. I love listening to the MORAL OUTRAGE from the media, even though most of it is utterly hypocritical. Next week I hope he goes a step further and waves his COCK at the camera, just so I can laugh at all the people who get worked up about it.

Personally I'll concentrate my energy on something that matters in my own life, thanks :wave:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Agree, I hate all this role model shit that gets spouted every time a footballer does something bad. That's more a pathetic reflection on society that we talk of people being role models when all they've done is have a talent for running around and kicking a ball :facepalm:

If they masses want to look at a northern pikey as a role model then we'll get everything we deserve in the future.

I actually love it when Rooney does stuff like this. I love listening to the MORAL OUTRAGE from the media, even though most of it is utterly hypocritical. Next week I hope he goes a step further and waves his COCK at the camera, just so I can laugh at all the people who get worked up about it.

Personally I'll concentrate my energy on something that matters in my own life, thanks :wave:

It obviously matters enough for you to write 5 sentences about it.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Good player, certainly not a great player; not exactly likeable though is he?
Haven't seen or heard what happened but was pissed off when he slated the England fans in SA. Personally, I don't think England would miss him as much as some people think.
I just think he's angry at the world cos he's so f***ing minging & we all know he likes to cough up for an OLD brass.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
For me, it wasn't the swearing that is out of order, it's the way he's clearly shouting at someone,apparently the camera man. It's the way he comes across as threatening and aggressive that is worse, mindless swearing I'm sure most people wouldn't get so upset about.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
you lot are all hypocrites....you all swear when a goal goes in.......

I know I don't.

It's a nice idea that kids look to their parents as role models, but it isn't that simple. If you want to grow up to be a top striker, who do you pattern your football on: your overweight dad who hasn't kicked a ball since he was at school 20 years ago, or wayne rooney, who has made a success of it?

We don't have one single role model, we have a range of them covering various aspects of who we are and who we want to be.

When people go on about how his thuggish behaviour is how he expresses his passion and if you suppress that you suppress his talent, it sends the message to a kid (who might show all the civility of his parents off the pitch and in all other aspects of his life) that you need to get angry with the ref every time he makes a decision against you, that anger and foul language is part of what it takes to achieve what Rooney has.

I agree to a degree when people talk about footballers being role models when talking about their private lives I'd say you have a point, but when it comes to what they do on the pitch, it is important. Kids will try to emulate what they see on the pitch, and in this instance, and generally when talking about what players do on a pitch, the role model argument is entirely relevant.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here