Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney to contest suspension

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney has admitted a charge of using offensive, insulting and/or abusive language after swearing into a camera at West Ham but he will contest the two-match ban handed down by the Football Association.

Rooney swore at a Sky Sports camera during Manchester United's 4-2 victory at West Ham on Saturday after he had completed his hat-trick from the penalty spot.

His appeal against the automatic two-match ban suspension will be heard on Wednesday, before Manchester United play Chelsea in the quarter-finals of the Champions League.

A statement on the FA's website read: "Manchester United player Wayne Rooney has today admitted a charge for the use of offensive, insulting and/or abusive language.

"However, Rooney has submitted a claim that the automatic penalty of two games is clearly excessive. A commission will hear the submission on Wednesday."

If Rooney's claim fails he runs the risk of having a suspension that currently includes Saturday's Premier League encounter with Fulham and the following week's FA Cup semi-final with Manchester City at Wembley extended.

At his press conference ahead of the Chelsea clash, Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson made it clear he did not want to discuss the matter.

"I have nothing to say. I am not going to discuss it at all,'' he said. "We have submitted our case.''

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story/_/id/902985/rooney-admits-fa-charge-but-contests-ban?cc=5901
:wanker:

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
I would too if I was in his position. Putting it in context it was completely unfair. But let's not start this again :wink:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Bound to happen as Ferguson will have instructed this as it now getting very personal between himself and those that run the Premier League about who is the bigger protagonist.

seagullondon

Mar 15, 2011
Good Lad, hope they take away the ban, realise their mistake and take away 2 points from every othr team in the league because they have realised they are unfairly targeting Manchester United

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This tit for tat thing between the FA and Man Utd is damaging the integrity of the game.

An appeal was inevitable because the punishment, in this instance, was clearly excessive and also without precedent. You get the impression the FA are making it up as they go along.

Robdinho

Jul 26, 2004
This tit for tat thing between the FA and Man Utd is damaging the integrity of the game.

An appeal was inevitable because the punishment, in this instance, was clearly excessive and also without precedent. You get the impression the FA are making it up as they go along.

Why is it excessive? Using 'foul and abusive language' is a sending off offence. If he'd been sent off for it during the game he'd have been banned for 2 matches. Seems about right to me.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
At last the FA have done something positive against this horrible little thug who young kids look up to. If they back down now they will look a complete bunch of muppets. The sooner the FA back up the Respect campaign by getting refs to take action against yobs like Rooney the better.
The FA really need to get their act together or we are in danger of the Premier League taking over control of our football, and that would just leave football at the mercy of the moneygrabbers and forget the smaller clubs (like ours has been).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Excessive and without precedent? Mourinho got sent off (and a ban I think) for shushing fans

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Why is it excessive? Using 'foul and abusive language' is a sending off offence. If he'd been sent off for it during the game he'd have been banned for 2 matches. Seems about right to me.

Excessive and without precedent? Mourinho got sent off (and a ban I think) for shushing fans

Both of these with the added example of Drogba in the champions league. Alright, that wasn't the FA action, but it is a football precedent involving a game on english soil involving an english team.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Why is that? If they are doing their job and judging the incident impartially it should make no difference to them.

Think you have answered your point there with the comment "if they are doing their job"! Money means more to the FA than morals and so they will want the biggest "star" on show at Wembley and I would be very surprised if the FA didn't let him play

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here