Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Rooney to contest suspension

Hope they throw the book at him. Rooney is vermin. An angry little tosser with a permanent chip on his shoulder. He's a nasty little wretch, and hopefully now that the FA have FINALLY taken a stand against him, we will see him sent off every time he calls the ref to "f*** off you f***ing cheating c*nt", as he does EVERY WEEK. So, he'll be permanently banned. Fantastic.

One question that no one seems to have asked (or answered) in amongst all this. Why the f*** was someone who had just scored a hat-trick so angry?

You seem a bit tense yourself!

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
That is absolutely ridiculous on so many levels. What Rooney needs is professional help for his anger issues, and you have to blame Manchester United for not taking better care of their prize asset.

What he did was wrong, but by immediately apologising that has to mitigate the offence. Most of the time radio and TV fade out swearing picked up from players. So, for consistency, TV should now broadcast every single swearword they pick up (how is that better for kids?) and ban all those players. That's probably ten players every televised match.

He may be a mindless thug as well as a great player, but Rooney has been totally shafted on this one. What if Glenn Murray went up to a camera after scoring the winner against Southampton this month and said 'F***ing have that, Adkins'. Would he deserve a ban (I'm tempted to say or a medal)? It's a passionate game, I think an apology and a fine is enough. I don't really buy all this footballers as role models stuff anyway, if you're a parent, YOU'RE the role model. It's not Wayne Rooney's job to raise your child (thank Christ).

This is unlikely to do anything to help the FA's spiky relationship with United, and they are petty-minded enough to respond. My prediction: All FA staff banned from receiving tickets to Old Trafford.

There is a fundamental difference between swearing occasionally being picked up by cameras/mics accidentally (it happens and is accepted) and a player deliberately choosing to broadcast a swearing tirade to the watching millions (quite rightly NOT allowed!). Do you not see any difference? If we accept that this is OK because it's a 'passionate' game then we're screwed if every other player decides it'll be a hoot to do the same. Football will have to be broadcast with no sound near the pitch or not at all.

Besides, I also think that John Kettley is fairly passionate about the weather, let's hope he doesn't decide to shout 'SUNSHINE!!!! FUCKIN GET IN THERE YER SUNSHINE LOVING FUCKERS!' on the 3pm weather broadcast.

A joke I know, but why footballers should be excused from normal standards of decent behaviour I just don't know.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
I don't really buy all this footballers as role models stuff anyway, if you're a parent, YOU'RE the role model. It's not Wayne Rooney's job to raise your child (thank Christ).

I actually agree with that. But it isn't the point for me.

At the levels of football I have played throughout my life (park football and county league) I have seen people SENT OFF for calling other player's "c*nt", or booked for swearing at team-mates or themselves. I once saw someone get a straight red for muttering "for f*** sake" under his breath about a decision that went against him.

Yet the likes of John Terry and Wayne Rooney scream obscenities in the faces of refs every week and never even get booked. Its disgraceful. They are trying to implement the "Respect The Ref" campaign at all levels of the game, yet how are lower level players expected to adhere to this when multi-millionaires in The Premiership are allowed to do whatever they want??

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
That is absolutely ridiculous on so many levels. What Rooney needs is professional help for his anger issues, and you have to blame Manchester United for not taking better care of their prize asset.

What he did was wrong, but by immediately apologising that has to mitigate the offence. Most of the time radio and TV fade out swearing picked up from players. So, for consistency, TV should now broadcast every single swearword they pick up (how is that better for kids?) and ban all those players. That's probably ten players every televised match.

He may be a mindless thug as well as a great player, but Rooney has been totally shafted on this one. What if Glenn Murray went up to a camera after scoring the winner against Southampton this month and said 'F***ing have that, Adkins'. Would he deserve a ban (I'm tempted to say or a medal)? It's a passionate game, I think an apology and a fine is enough. I don't really buy all this footballers as role models stuff anyway, if you're a parent, YOU'RE the role model. It's not Wayne Rooney's job to raise your child (thank Christ).

This is unlikely to do anything to help the FA's spiky relationship with United, and they are petty-minded enough to respond. My prediction: All FA staff banned from receiving tickets to Old Trafford.

Also to be clear, we are not discussing whether footballers are role models here, we're discussing whether they have any obligation to public decency at all.

The French Mistress

Jun 24, 2007
What's becoming more and more apparent is not reading about the match anymore, more about 'so and so will no doubt face a punishment from UEFA/FA/Premier league (take your pick!)!' See that Terry could be in the do-do now about remarks made about the Chelsea 'penalty' that wasn't.
Much as I want us to succeed, half of me says ' don't want to get sucked into all that shite '.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Besides, I also think that John Kettley is fairly passionate about the weather, let's hope he doesn't decide to shout 'SUNSHINE!!!! FUCKIN GET IN THERE YER SUNSHINE LOVING FUCKERS!' on the 3pm weather broadcast.

Surely you aren't seriously comparing scoring a hat-trick goal after your team were 2-0 down in a vital match in a title chase when the whole ground have been abusing you all game, to presenting the daily weather report...

Anyway, I think the point which I alluded to earlier which some people haven't quite grasped is that it is almost going to be within the gift of a TV editor as to which players get banned, and which don't in the future. Granted, this one was swearing right down the camera. But what if next week a player is clearly picked up and identifiable haranguing a ref with four-letter words. All of a sudden the broadcaster can put that out there IF they choose to (before they didn't) and the player gets banned.

Anyway, I think the point which I alluded to earlier which some people haven't quite grasped is that it is almost going to be within the gift of a TV editor as to which players get banned, and which don't in the future. Granted, this one was swearing right down the camera. But what if next week a player is clearly picked up and identifiable haranguing a ref with four-letter words. All of a sudden the broadcaster can put that out there IF they choose to (before they didn't) and the player gets banned.

Of course the same is true in this example; the editor could very easily have to cut to any of the myriad of other cameras as soon as it was apparent that Rooney had swore.

The hypocrisy of some of the people discussing this is hilarious. I was listening to 5live on Monday and Colin Murray was saying that he should have the book thrown at him, because he'd (Murray) accidentally sworn once on Radio 1, felt remorseful about the whole incident and got a bit of a dressing down. Yes Colin, but you didn't get hauled off your radio show for 2 weeks and/or have wages taken away from you, did you (more's the pity)?

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
Surely you aren't seriously comparing scoring a hat-trick goal after your team were 2-0 down in a vital match in a title chase when the whole ground have been abusing you all game, to presenting the daily weather report...

In terms of your obligation to not swear to a daytime audience I am comparing it, I can't see why it needs to be any different. Footballers can swear if they want, they do very often, but just don't do it deliberately down the camera. No-one else has had this problem yet, just Rooney. Why? Is no-one else as 'passionate'.

As per my original question though, can you see a difference between swearing and it accidentally being picked up by cameras/mics and deliberately swearing down a camera? People aren't grasping your point becasue it seems largely irrelevant given that most people do see this difference.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Has Rooney's suspension for the semi-final tipped the tie in City's favour? It would be ironic if this tirade was the catalyst for City to make the final, win their first proper trophy for 35 years, attract a better class of player over the summer and maybe supplant United at the top of the Premiership in 2011/12.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
The difference is that Murray's swearing was accidental and momentary. Rooney's was deliberate and sustained. If Murray had done what Rooney did, well he would have been sacked, never mind suspended.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
The difference is that Murray's swearing was accidental and momentary. Rooney's was deliberate and sustained. If Murray had done what Rooney did, well he would have been sacked, never mind suspended.

Indeed. If Colin Murray had shouted "What? f***ing what? f*** off!" on radio he would never have worked again.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
At the levels of football I have played throughout my life (park football and county league) I have seen people SENT OFF for calling other player's "c*nt", or booked for swearing at team-mates or themselves.

Exactly. What they get away with is disgraceful.

The one single red card I've recieved in 25 years of senior football, was for calling an opponent a c*nt. Years ago when I was quick enough to play up front - 1-1, 5 minutes left in a semi-final - the ball is knocked over the last defender and its a straight race between me and him to get there first. He's got the better of me, but 10 yards from the ball he trips over flat on his face, leaving me clean through. Just as I pass him, prostrate on the floor, desperately praying I don't f*** it up, he sticks out his hand, and grabs my ankle, bringing me down. As I go down, I shriek "for fucks sake, you c*nt" at him. Ref marches over with his red card in his hand. Defender drags himself up looking devastated, at being sent off, only to watch the ref stroll straight past him, and show it to me!

I was GUTTED, and OUTRAGED, at the time, but to be fair to the (f***ing idiot) ref, I've never done it again!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Exactly. What they get away with is disgraceful.

The one single red card I've recieved in 25 years of senior football, was for calling an opponent a c*nt. Years ago when I was quick enough to play up front - 1-1, 5 minutes left in a semi-final - the ball is knocked over the last defender and its a straight race between me and him to get there first. He's got the better of me, but 10 yards from the ball he trips over flat on his face, leaving me clean through. Just as I pass him, prostrate on the floor, desperately praying I don't f*** it up, he sticks out his hand, and grabs my ankle, bringing me down. As I go down, I shriek "for fucks sake, you c*nt" at him. Ref marches over with his red card in his hand. Defender drags himself up looking devastated, at being sent off, only to watch the ref stroll straight past him, and show it to me!

I was GUTTED, and OUTRAGED, at the time, but to be fair to the (f***ing idiot) ref, I've never done it again!

You've never been clean through again

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
can you see a difference between swearing and it accidentally being picked up by cameras/mics and deliberately swearing down a camera? .

Yes - but I think you're being a bit naive if you think that a paper such as the Daily Mail WOULDN'T make such a fuss if it was accidentally picked up. Of course they would. Ultimately, the effect and net result is the same - thug swears heard by millions. It just isn't a big deal, and the fact that the likes of you and many others have been obsessing about it is a joke. Ludicrous hype, and Man United/Rooney hatred aside, was that REALLY the big story of the week? Is our game that desperately poor?

Personally I think the whole thing makes the case for reading that new Blizzard publication more powerfully than anything, a chance to get away from this sort of bollocks. I think anyone who holds Wayne Rooney up as a role model is an idiot, it's not like you haven't had warnings over the past few years.

It just isn't a big deal, and the fact that the likes of you and many others have been obsessing about it is a joke. Ludicrous hype, and Man United/Rooney hatred aside, was that REALLY the big story of the week? Is our game that desperately poor?

This kind of thing is why I so love the Guardian football podcast - they actually talk about the football and as far as possible try not to talk about the inane stuff. The episode a few weeks ago where they spent the whole thing trying desperately to avoid talking about the England captaincy debacle was brilliant.

By contrast, I've mostly stopped listening to the BBC 5 live football podcast because they do the exact opposite. When Colin Murray started Sunday's episode with "So, let's start with the biggest talking point of the weekend. Should Rooney be in trouble for swearing at the camera?" without a hint of irony, I almost turned it off there and then. Wish I had to be honest.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Last week there was a thread started by one of our own fans upset at the language in the Brighton end from our own fans at Daggers I think it was, and there were plenty of people telling him to effectively deal with it because that's football. We then have a thread this week where a footballer may have said the f word twice at most into a camera and there is outrage. It truly is a funny old game!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here