Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ronnie Biggs a true British hero

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
The 'Great Train Robbery' was a great film.

What a lot of children on here don't realise
is that a good man, Jack Mills was murdered
in this heist.

I care more Mr Mills wife and children than I
do for Biggs!

Jack Mills died 7 years after the heist......Thats 7 years not 7 days, maybe it was something totaly unrealated, maybe it wasnt. His family say it was realated but then they would woulndt they.Im no Biggs fan, just think this murder, murder stuff is a tad over the top.Coupled with the fact that nobbody knows for certain that it was Biggs that even struck him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Jack Mills died 7 years after the heist......Thats 7 years not 7 days, maybe it was something totaly unrealated, maybe it wasnt. His family say it was realated but then they would woulndt they.Im no Biggs fan, just think this murder, murder stuff is a tad over the top.Coupled with the fact that nobbody knows for certain that it was Biggs that even struck him.

Jack Mills never fully recovered from his attack during the robbery and most experts feel his death was related. However, to consider Ronnie Biggs as anything less than the habitual criminal he was is ridiculous. Never a hero and neither are his peers.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Jack Mills never fully recovered from his attack during the robbery and most experts feel his death was related. However, to consider Ronnie Biggs as anything less than the habitual criminal he was is ridiculous. Never a hero and neither are his peers.

I quite agree and having met some of the "train robbers" they were just a group of criminals who had a lucky strike ....although I will say Bruce Reynolds was a real gent and you would buy him a pint if you did not know who he was and personally I would even if I did know who he was............he was a great peacemaker on the wing and saved us (prison officers) from many a scrape

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Which experts are those then as at his inquest it was agreed that the illness that killed him was not as a result of being coshed on the head.

Nobody disputes that he never recovered from the trauma to be able to work but can you explain exactly how being hit on the head led to him dying of leukaemia!!!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Which experts are those then as at his inquest it was agreed that the illness that killed him was not as a result of being coshed on the head.

Nobody disputes that he never recovered from the trauma to be able to work but can you explain exactly how being hit on the head led to him dying of leukaemia!!!

If he had been in a better state of health he might have survived, not all people die of that illness. However, at the end of the day Biggs was a petty criminal who ran off to Brazil and in fact made a living out of his infamy, who a hero .....

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
What I always remember is the fact that while in Rio - he was free to do what he wanted 'yes' - but if you think about it, the mental anguish of knowing he couldn't
come home and having to watch his back all the time........that isn't much fun.

He should have served his time here and he would have been truly "free" 30 years ago.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I was under the impression that the purpose of prison was primarily to protect the public and then to rehabilitate the offender.

In the case of Biggs, the issue of public protection is clearly a moot point. The man is hardly going to be coshing anybody in the near future.

That leaves rehabilitation. Ditto. The prospect of Biggs making any further criminal undertaking is infinitesimal. Who cares whether or not he is actually sorry?

Ergo, he should be freed. I don't approve or condone what he did for one second but keeping him in detention at this stage serves absolutely no practical purpose.

jmsc

Jul 19, 2003
Old Shoreham Road :o(
I agree with you BUT what I hate is this pathetic 'hero worshiping' of a common criminal.

Someone who by his own admission that only had a child to escape extradition from Brazil.

Someone who only returned to this country to get free health care. Scum.

R.I.P. Jack Mills.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
All that has really happened is the taxpayer doesn't have to stump up to keep two Prison Warders by his hospital bed any more.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
He's a bit naff really, isn't he? Mind you, they all are...Dave Courtney, Cass Pennant , Charles Bronson, that tall Peter Hook lookeylikey that's a Cypriot or something.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Heroes in the England I grew up in needed to do something a bit special and being a runaway thief didn't come anywhere near to cutting it :shrug:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
All prisoners should be shown compassion whatever their crime. It's in everyone's interest.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If he had been in a better state of health he might have survived, not all people die of that illness. However, at the end of the day Biggs was a petty criminal who ran off to Brazil and in fact made a living out of his infamy, who a hero .....

Now maybe, but he died in 1970. Can you still answer the question as to which experts you were referring to or did you just make that up to support your arguement?

Heroes in the England I grew up in needed to do something a bit special and being a runaway thief didn't come anywhere near to cutting it :shrug:

Which particular era are you referring to then?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
?

Late 50's through the 60's. Bit old fashioned in those days I accept, blimey people even stood for the National Anthem when it was played in cinemas :shock:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I agree with you BUT what I hate is this pathetic 'hero worshiping' of a common criminal.

Someone who by his own admission that only had a child to escape extradition from Brazil.

Someone who only returned to this country to get free health care. Scum.

R.I.P. Jack Mills.

What hero worship ?

Does exist in Biggs case and the only people who bang on about the Krays are third rate celebs who happened to be born in the East End.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Now maybe, but he died in 1970. Can you still answer the question as to which experts you were referring to or did you just make that up to support your arguement?

There's no argument to support save the fact that only a complete imbecile who defend Biggs.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
There's no argument to support save the fact that only a complete imbecile who defend Biggs.

I hope by imbecile you are not referring to me because if you had taken the time to read all my posts then you would realize that I believe he should rot in the hospital bed he lies in with the guards around him and still technically banged up. But of course, you don't do research do you. You'd rather not let the facts get in the way of making your point.

Fact 1. Nobody knows who coshed Jack Mills.
Fact 2. Biggs only served 18 months of a 30 year sentence before escaping.
Fact 3. Jack Mills didn't work again because of the trauma of the attack.
Fact 4. Jack Mills died of leukaemia in 1970 which, at his inquest, was deemed not to have resulted from the assault.
Fact 5. Biggs return in 2001 means he has still served less than 10 years for armed robbery. He only returned, according to some reports, to benefit from free healthcare and for a financial deal with the Sun for his son. he probably gambled on being freed long before now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here