Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Roll Call, Albions greatest ever anyday, who was there ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
2/83

Liverpool V Brighton & Hove Albion
Anfield - FA Cup round 5

Liverpool were top of the league and Brighton were bottom , Liverpool had gone 53 matches unbeaten at home, Brighton's away form was shall we say less than inspiring. Brighton were 20/1 to win the game.

5000 fans travelled to Anfield, I went on the Seagulls special train. We made more noise than I have ever heard. We won 2-1. Phil Neal had a penalty mear the end to make it 2-2 and missed it.

Case scored a cracker, Foster was a giant at the back, the whole team were brilliant.

It was Albion's greatest ever away win and my greatest ever Albion game. I was a mere 20 years old.

Who else was there and what are your memories of the day ?.

Fantastic day. Went up on one of the Seagulls Coach's, singing all the way. I remember thinking that Anfield was smaller than I expected. I embarrased myself by having tears in my eyes as we all sang GOSBST to the Kop, and had the piss taken at school for ages for that.
Brilliant, brilliant game. Case's goal and Fosters performance stand out. I can't remember the penalty miss though.
As we were leaving Anfield we got chased by some scousers, we shat ourselves, but were saved by my Dad and his mates who happened to be round the corner. I hadn't seen my Dad for about three years up to then cos he was a c***, it was one of the few occasions I was pleased to see him!
On the way out of Liverpool the coach got pelted with stones. Again, we shat ourselves although we tried to get the coach driver to pull over so we could have a ruck. Luckily he saw the fear in our eyes and carried on.
Fantastic day indeed.:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yup.

went up on the Seagulls special train from Brighton.

Jimmy Case's goal was something special....Phil Neale missed a penalty which was the first one he had missed since the first Ice Age.

It was indeed a special day out.

:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
We were at a party in London on the Saturday night (the game was on a Sunday as Everton played at home on the Saturday) talking to these exiled Liverpool supporters - and the pissed decision was made to go to the game. We were the lambs - there for the slaughter.

We left first thing (did we go home ? - I can't remember), the driver must still have been pissed. We got to the ground at lunchtime - thought we'd have to stand on the kop - but got the last restricted view seats - then went to the pub. Got pissed on this delicious beer and got to the ground at about 3:10pm.

When we scored my mate and I rose to cheer - then sat quickly down again.

Great day out. The Liverpool fans were a bit quiet on the way back.

And Phil Neal never used to miss penalties.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
No it wasnt televised.

The quality isnt great. Its a recording without commentary! But it is the 90mins similar to when the club shop sold the 90mins of the 2-2 at Anfield in the cup in 1991.

I gave it to TGC for his DVD compilations so watch this space. I believe he's working on a 1996 - 1997 one at the moment.

Last edited:

westdeneite

Jul 26, 2004
Westdene
Yep, went on that day.
Got special train from Hove.
Absolutely great atmosphere all day.
Lets hope we have more days like that in not to distant future.
Need something to cheer us up!!!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
i wasnt there, not a loyal fan:down: , however my excuse is that i was not born :smokin:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Simster said:
What a tosser.

A chopper was what you should have been playing on - like I was.
f*** off.
The Raleigh Grifter PISSED on Choppers. The Sturmy Gears were a revolution in bicycle transmission at the time, the bike itself was built like a tank, and you didn't look like some kind of 60's Dennis-Hopper-wannabee GIMP cycling around on it.

Choppers were for QUEERS.

Last edited:

Infernal Optimist

Aug 15, 2003
Remember it well. I was about 17 and went up in the back of a mate's birds Mini
it took about 3 days to get there.

Fantastic day with about 3,000? Albion in the corner of the Anfield Road. Remember coming out and suddenly feeling very nervous, but no problems in the end.

What I want to know now though is now I have identified myself as a 'special' supporter can I get a ticket for Southampton away next season? :lolol:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Uncle Spielberg said:
2/83

It was Albion's greatest ever away win and my greatest ever Albion game. I was a mere 20 years old.

Didn't make the game as I was on an R&R in Thailand, though I did make it to the semi at Highbury. Was that not the 'greatest ever away win'.

Or the 3-1 win at Newcastle in 1979 that put us in the top division for the first time?

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Gutted I missed that game. Was ten, and went to the 3rd round v Newcastle at the Goldstone, Man City in the 4th, Norwich in the quarters and Wednesday in the semis, but my dad wouldn't take me to Anfield or the Final :nono:

Mind you I was poorly for the final, so fairplay.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Easy 10 said:
f*** off.
The Raleigh Grifter PISSED on Choppers. The Sturmy Gears were a revolution in bicycle transmission at the time, the bike itself was built like a tank, and you didn't look like some kind of 60's Dennis-Hopper-wannabee GIMP cycling around on it.

Still got my Grifter, though it is a bit rustier than in '83! The coloured gears on the handles were cool :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here