Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi To Leave Albion After Tomorrow's Game

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
It would be second to us bringing back someone who walked out on the club mid-season, taking everyone and the tea lady with them.
This taking everyone with him thing that is thrown about on here is obviously absolute nonsense. De Zerbi, as any new manager would, brought his whole team of coaches with him so they would have all been out of the door anyway. If that's one of the things people are upset with Potter about, they really need to get over it.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
It would be second to us bringing back someone who walked out on the club mid-season, taking everyone and the tea lady with them.
Nopes. Reappointing someone who left for a bigger club is never going to look more silly than reappointing the lad you let go three weeks ago after he spent several months moaning about the club and letting everyone know he's not very motivated to work for us. NOTHING would be more tinpot.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
This taking everyone with him thing that is thrown about on here is obviously absolute nonsense. De Zerbi, as any new manager would, brought his whole team of coaches with him so they would have all been out of the door anyway. If that's one of the things people are upset with Potter about, they really need to get over it.
I only need point to Ben Roberts as someone who disproves your point. He arrived at the club under Hughton and then remained in post when Potter was appointed. There's absolutely nothing to suggest he would have been out of the door regardless. The same can be said for Bruno too. Andrew Crofts was drafted in to do the role that Bruno could have happily slotted into. So yes, I am upset with Potter still for taking two club stalwarts who were here in some capacity well before he arrived.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I only need point to Ben Roberts as someone who disproves your point. He arrived at the club under Hughton and then remained in post when Potter was appointed. There's absolutely nothing to suggest he would have been out of the door regardless. The same can be said for Bruno too. Andrew Crofts was drafted in to do the role that Bruno could have happily slotted into. So yes, I am upset with Potter still for taking two club stalwarts who were here in some capacity well before he arrived.
Ben Roberts, fair enough.
The idea that Bruno would get an equally important role (he was our attacking coach) in RDZs Italian entourage seems rather alien to me. Roberto also told the club he wanted a British coach in his staff, and that ended up being Croft. Maybe Bruno, had he stayed, would have been considered British enough, but the idea that he would happily - after 3 years of first team coaching - would want to start over, probably from the "bottom" of the internal coaching hierarchy... What makes you think that? Did he say in some interview he'd happily be RDZs inquoted British coach?

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
The idea that Bruno would get an equally important role (he was our attacking coach) in RDZs Italian entourage seems rather alien to me. Roberto also told the club he wanted a British coach in his staff, and that ended up being Croft. Maybe Bruno, had he stayed, would have been considered British enough, but the idea that he would happily - after 3 years of first team coaching - would want to start over, probably from the "bottom" of the internal coaching hierarchy... What makes you think that? Did he say in some interview he'd happily be RDZs inquoted British coach?
I have no insight into how Bruno felt personally. I was just responding to the other poster who basically said 'everyone from the Potter coaching team would have been pushed out had they not left', which I think is nonsense TBH.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
You haven't disproved the point at all. Ben Roberts spent as much time working under Potter as he had been at the club as a coach before and gained more seniority under Potter. Bruno's entire coaching career had been working under Potter. They were as much 'his' as they were 'ours'. And Potter had every right to offer them to chance to go with him - they didn't have to say yes.

And even if they did stay, there was every chance they'd have gone within a matter of weeks or months if they hadn't have gotten on with the new manager. It happens all the time. Totally understandable for Potter to want to take them and for them to go.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
You haven't disproved the point at all. Ben Roberts spent as much time working under Potter as he had been at the club as a coach before and gained more seniority under Potter. Bruno's entire coaching career had been working under Potter. They were as much 'his' as they were 'ours'. And Potter had every right to offer them to chance to go with him - they didn't have to say yes.

And even if they did stay, there was every chance they'd have gone within a matter of weeks or months if they hadn't have gotten on with the new manager. It happens all the time. Totally understandable for Potter to want to take them and for them to go.
Agree to disagree. I think fans still have every right to be disappointed. I'm certainly not the only one who feels that way.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Bringing Roberts to Chelsea actually perhaps wasn't the most graceful or honorable treatment of the club, but it was the only humane way to treat Ben.

Have to be a pretty sick person to say "I'm securing the future of the families of all these coaches, but you Ben will be staying here the rest of your life on a low PL goalkeeping salary, because otherwise Brighton need a new goalkeeper coach, plus we'll upset some depressed OAPs who will suddenly be pretending they give a shit about goalkeeper coaching so they can have another reason to groan and moan."

Of course he was always going to ask Ben if he wanted to come to - thats the only reasonable thing to do when they've known each other for three years.

And Ben was always likely to say yes, because he's probably a big fan of his family and its financial security.

Either way, really doesn't matter if random people understand it; Tony Bloom & Paul Barber gets it, of course. If Ben would like to return one day and we think he is good enough, I'm sure the door would be open.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
The idea that Bruno was ever our attacking coach in the first place seemed rather alien to many of us. Personally I'd welcome him back with open arms as our defending coach

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Bringing Roberts to Chelsea actually perhaps wasn't the most graceful or honorable treatment of the club, but it was the only humane way to treat Ben.

Have to be a pretty sick person to say "I'm securing the future of the families of all these coaches, but you Ben will be staying here the rest of your life on a low PL goalkeeping salary, because otherwise Brighton need a new goalkeeper coach, plus we'll upset some depressed OAPs who will suddenly be pretending they give a shit about goalkeeper coaching so they can have another reason to groan and moan."

Of course he was always going to ask Ben if he wanted to come to - thats the only reasonable thing to do when they've known each other for three years.

And Ben was always likely to say yes, because he's probably a big fan of his family and its financial security.

Either way, really doesn't matter if random people understand it; Tony Bloom & Paul Barber gets it, of course. If Ben would like to return one day and we think he is good enough, I'm sure the door would be open.
Why do you have to be rude about Brighton fans when they don't always agree with you immediately..." depressed OAPs". It's unnecessary IMO.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Why do you have to be rude about Brighton fans when they don't always agree with you immediately..." depressed OAPs". It's unnecessary IMO.
Because he can't keep it in, no matter how hard he tries. All this "we" chat is just bull.

And @Han Solo , it's Crofts btw, not Croft - but you'd know that if you were really a Brighton fan.

papachris

Any member of the coaching that left at that time or any other time for that matter have to decide for themselves whether to take up other opportunities.
I have known people in my working life that have left the company to take up what they thought was a better opportunity. As we know the grass isn't always greener and some have later returned to their previous workplace. I don't remember anyone being criticised for taking a chance that maybe didn't work out. We learn from it. That's life!

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
The idea that Bruno was ever our attacking coach in the first place seemed rather alien to many of us. Personally I'd welcome him back with open arms as our defending coach
Certainly wild when we found out yes... not overly shocking though. Defensive players often turn into attacking managers. I guess knowing how defenders think and behave is rather useful when you're attacking them.

All in all, I've seen nearly as many people understanding Roberts (and in a way also Potter), and I like to distiguish those from those who seem to be building their lives around... not liking things and people.

Because he can't keep it in, no matter how hard he tries. All this "we" chat is just bull.

And @Han Solo , it's Crofts btw, not Croft - but you'd know that if you were really a Brighton fan.
Yup, my bad. Forget about that "s" sometimes.

Does the same apply to people who spell Hyypiä as "Hyypia" or Hughton as "Houghton"?

Better not sign Giovanni van Bronckhorst because the whole Amex would be empty.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
Certainly wild when we found out yes... not overly shocking though. Defensive players often turn into attacking managers. I guess knowing how defenders think and behave is rather useful when you're attacking them.

All in all, I've seen nearly as many people understanding Roberts (and in a way also Potter), and I like to distiguish those from those who seem to be building their lives around... not liking things and people.

Yup, my bad. Forget about that "s" sometimes.

Does the same apply to people who spell Hyypiä as "Hyypia" or Hughton as "Houghton"?

Better not sign Giovanni van Bronckhorst because the whole Amex would be empty.

Sometimes I spell @Han Solo as @Swansman :bigwave:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Correct imo. Fans are too emotionally invested compared with employees. Whether it’s Roberts (unlikely as Stern seems to be well embedded now), Bruno, Potter or anyone else the simple over-riding question is are they the best person for the job. Completely understand why Ben and Bruno left, virtually anyone on here would have done the same in similar circumstances.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Correct imo. Fans are more emotionally invested compared with employees. Whether it’s Roberts (unlikely as Stern seems to be well embedded now), Bruno, Potter or anyone else the simple over-riding question is are they the best person for the job. Completely understand why Ben and Bruno left, virtually anyone on here would have done the same in similar circumstances.
Excuse the amendment (imo)

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
It was Maldera and the Goalkeeper coach I was thinking might be retained, I know they were De Zerbi appointments, but they were not in his staff at Shaktar, or anywhere else, as far as I am aware.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

I believe in Joe Hendry
Oct 4, 2003

Was he ever really our attacking coach? Or is this another NSC trope like the No Dickhead Policy being a rigid thing rather than something Maty Ryan referred to when he was talking about the club doing due diligence on every signing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here