Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi - JOINS AS NEW HEAD COACH (4 year contract)

mccraque

Feb 24, 2009
Let's be honest. If Potter had stayed - the likelihood is that we would all still be very happy. As we were when he was here. He did a fantastic job for us. As did the team around him.

My only worry is - the foundations for RDZ are already in place and that is great. But we've had so many of the backroom taken that underpin everything we are now achieving. Recruitment, Ashworth, the whole coaching team. We will see a couple of years down the line whether this is an issue or not.

But we have all left jobs. To the majority of players and managers, they have no long-term association with the club. You come in, do a good job and move on when the time is right (or you're shite and get sacked). So no ill feelings to Potter. It is business and we got £16m (i think) for it. And he left us in as high a position as we have ever been. The Goggle Hood Brigade singing "Potter's a c**t" would've been too young to sit in the p1ssing rain at Withdean watching us lose to Crewe (or other lowly teams).

We move on... and RDZ seems to be settling in nicely. Hopefully we can build on the legacy that Potter left and kick it on to another level. Early signs are very encouraging and the enthusiasm does seem to be infectious. As with all things Brighton - let's not get too carried away just yet as we have a rejuvenated Villa in front of us this Sunday!

Exciting Times ahead and thanks to GP for all he did. We move on.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
One comment from RDZ last night that I've not seen mentioned.

He said that we can compete with the big teams because

20221110_110018.jpg

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Early days but it would be absolutely amazing if Potter leaving turns out to be a blessing in disguise. A step up with an extra £21m in the bank.
Well, precisely.
Potter elevated us in terms of points and position, and in terms of playing style, and in terms of a drastic squad overhaul. He was fantastic. And Bloom got £21m from him and his entourage moving on.
And now we've got the undoubted joy and potential promise of RDZ. What's not to like of all of this?

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Do we know how Potter actually did on this degree course?

I mean if he achieved a 3rd then there really shouldn't be much credence given to his qualification... and perhaps De Zerbi is just naturally gifted with Emotional Intelligence that he doesn't feel the need to take a course on it like Swotty Potty.
we haven't won three PL games in a row since October 2018 in our 2nd season in the PL under Hughton when we beat West Ham (H), Newcastle (A) and Wolves (H) - all with 1-0 scorelines. That is so far our only three PL wins in a row in our history.
I well remember that because they were all very close games and could have gone either way and ai thought that run flattered us… We were nothing if not dogged then,

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The goals are starting to flow. 10 goals in three games.
Would it have happened under Potter? No. Lots of possession sure, but few goals.

RDZ has found the key to unlock the door, converting many of the chances we make.
Just don't ask me exactly what that key is.
It ain't rocket science.

"You boys pass too much and forget where their goal is".

Id imagine he's spent all his time at Lancing shouting "più veloce".

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
S
The thing I like most about De Zerbi is his psychology. He talks about us transitioning to a big club now. That we have more room to grow. How every player can do better. He’s reprogramming the way our players think and also helping fans shake the old small club mentality.

Under Potter it was alway we were lucky to get anything, the opposition are great, we’ll have to suffer, and history lessons about how we don’t deserve much better.

Now it might just be my interpretation,. but I think De Zerbi is the manager really demonstrating emotional intelligence.
Spot on. Potter was very considered but didn’t want to raise expectations/ rattle cages.
Roberto is more prepared to raise the sights of the players and fans.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Would it have happened under Potter? No. Lots of possession sure, but few goals.

RDZ has found the key to unlock the door, converting many of the chances we make.

View attachment 153537
At last a manager who’s trying to get away from the small club mentality. Potter used it when it suited, some older supporters still use as a stick to beat others with during a bad run. He’s quite right let’s move on we are sitting top six in the PL it’s not a fluke we have earned it.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Let's be honest. If Potter had stayed - the likelihood is that we would all still be very happy. As we were when he was here. He did a fantastic job for us. As did the team around him.

My only worry is - the foundations for RDZ are already in place and that is great. But we've had so many of the backroom taken that underpin everything we are now achieving. Recruitment, Ashworth, the whole coaching team. We will see a couple of years down the line whether this is an issue or not.

But we have all left jobs. To the majority of players and managers, they have no long-term association with the club. You come in, do a good job and move on when the time is right (or you're shite and get sacked). So no ill feelings to Potter. It is business and we got £16m (i think) for it. And he left us in as high a position as we have ever been. The Goggle Hood Brigade singing "Potter's a c**t" would've been too young to sit in the p1ssing rain at Withdean watching us lose to Crewe (or other lowly teams).

We move on... and RDZ seems to be settling in nicely. Hopefully we can build on the legacy that Potter left and kick it on to another level. Early signs are very encouraging and the enthusiasm does seem to be infectious. As with all things Brighton - let's not get too carried away just yet as we have a rejuvenated Villa in front of us this Sunday!

Exciting Times ahead and thanks to GP for all he did. We move on.
This is more or less where I'm at.

There's something instantly likeable about De Zerbi. To have that kind of charisma is pretty impressive when you're not fluent in the language.

And he appears to have settled in nicely, wins and goals and performances are flowing which makes everything look rosy and giddily exciting about what's to come...BUT...we shouldn't forget that this is Potter's team, Potter's squad and he left them as a very well drilled unit high on confidence. It's a hell of a platform for De Zerbi to start from.

As you say though, a huge chunk of what made it so has gone so it's difficult to say whether this is the residual effects of team Potter or the start of something new and very exciting. We won't really know for a while, not until De Zerbi has a whole lot of games under his belt, opposition coaches have studied us and him and he has his own players and squad.

For now, at least, everything is looking fantastic and I really hope that this really is just the start of something even bigger and better.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It ain't rocket science.

"You boys pass too much and forget where their goal is".

Id imagine he's spent all his time at Lancing shouting "più veloce".
Now that you mention it, we do seem to be worryingly quick in advancing the ball up the pitch.

It's all 100 miles an hour isn't it?

Give me the good old days. Square, square, forward, square, back, square, forward, square. You knew where you were with Potterball.

Edit: I've just spotted this article, which talks about the pace of the forward passing, and Glenn Murray complimenting it.

Last edited:

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Maybe it wasn’t a striker we needed after all, Potter needed to get the ball moving quicker up the pitch to open teams up.
Mitoma is also quality and has to be a regular starter.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Brighton so far under RDZ played against two (Nottingham, Spurs) or arguably three (Brentford) teams playing in a way that has been difficult to break down in the last few years.

Those games did not end well.

I'd hold my horses a bit when it comes to Brighton suddenly turning into a free-scoring team. We saw against United and against Leicester and against Wolves and Villa that moving the ball forward quicker is easier when there's not 10 or 11 players on the opposition half every time its time to start attacking.

As for the talk he talks, it is good and will only get better. When he was rumoured to Brighton I read some old press conferences from Italy and he's got a mouth of gold and can't express everything he wants in English yet.

I think things are looking extraordinarly promising, but I'm not getting myself an RDZ tattoo on my arse just quite yet. Eventually every team that isn't City has a poor run of results and opponents are going to develop a better understanding of what RDZ wants to do. Those challenges are the real ones, and it remains to be seen how it is dealt with. But I'm optimistic and think it will go well.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

9 goals in 3 league games toward the end of last season, which turned into 13 from 5. Would it ever have happened...well yeah it kinda did.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
Ill be honest and say hes definitely growing on me! Originally thought he was the "cheap option". The only manager that was allegedly on our radar that didnt need to be bought out of a contract. But seems to be the right manager at the right time, taking the team another step forward. Pretty much like the other GP in that respect. Mitomas goal, yesterday, was beautiful but not a fluke as wed threatened to score in a similar way against City and before. Also, massive respect for RDZ for speaking in English at every opportunity.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
9 goals in 3 league games toward the end of last season, which turned into 13 from 5. Would it ever have happened...well yeah it kinda did.
As did the 10 (ish) home games without a goal.

It's hard to imagine such a run now.
That said there may well be a few more defeats as and when RDZ hits a rough patch.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Staying f***ing focused.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
While there was a definite element of luck in De Zerbi being available you have to admire the club's preparedness. Barber had spoken before about having succession planning for everyone at the club, and it's easy to imagine many clubs starting the process from scratch if their manager was plucked a few games into the season.
There was a bit of a delay finalising RDZ but otherwise it seems to have all been smooth.
Barber: ok tone Graham's definitely gone.
Tone: they paid. All good. Who's next?
Barber: got meetings set with De Zerbi's agent and himself. Bruno can be interim and Crofts can assist meanwhile.
Tone: Copacetic. Speak tomorrow.

Barber: Oh Tony slight bother. Graham's taking the entire backroom staff, We were hoping Bruno and Roberts might stay
Tone [[raise eyebrow]]
Barber: So Crofts is interim, lallana assists RDZs goalie coach is good and he probably wants him anyway.
Tone: Lovely. I'll be in for contract negotiations meanwhile archive the Grahams Gone file and start one called.... DeZerbis Deserted

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
As did the 10 (ish) home games without a goal.

It's hard to imagine such a run now.
That said there may well be a few more defeats as and when RDZ hits a rough patch.
When was that? Most I can see is 5 consecutive home games without scoring under Potter.

We did just go 3 games without scoring, preceding these last 3.

Fair bit of Ministry of Truth going on at present.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

View attachment 153537
He just “gets” it. He says stuff to inspire our fans, our players and staff and probably even The Special Tone himself.

Talk about emotional intelligence!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here